Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ok can you all Honestly...

IM A REDSKIN FAN

I am not worried at all. I think the success of last season will carry on to this one. Remember, those of who are old enough to, that Joe Gibbs did this very similiar thing the first time. Someone probably already said that, but I only read the first page before posting.

I'm not worried at all. It's not at the level in 2000 when Dan Snyder tried to buy a Super Bowl victory by hiring Ray Rhodes and acquiring Deion, Bruce, Jeff George and co. We're not even considered to win the NFC. All the pressure is on the NY Giants. No, I'm not worried at all because Joe Gibbs is the coach.

Why should I be concerned about what the media does or does not think about the skins? I AM, however, more concerned that my little black magic ball predicted we'll win the superbowl. I'm sure that it a) jinxed us, B) will get to the player's heads somehow and c) anger the football gods

I haven't been watching enough of the NFL analysis shows to notice that we have been getting national press hype. I'm tuned in now to the NFL Network and it's great because it's a "Redskin programming" day.

I much prefer to come in under the radar but let's face it- the pressure is on. We brought in alot of big name players and now we better advance past the 2nd round of the playoffs, at least in the eyes of the media.

The division is what has me worried. The NFC East is back.

Why does this always happen? Why can't we get a ****ty division like the Eagles did for all those years? Actually I guess having a strong division helps you come postseason (See "Eagles lose 3 straight conference championship games")

I think that the fans on this site (and that's what we are, "fans"), truly suspend their logic when the subject is the Washington Redskins. We're all excited about our chances for next year, but what should our objective expectations be?

When taking a step back, is there anyone out there who believes that Brunell will likely last the year without either an injury or a demotion due to poor performance? Honestly, the chances are pretty good that we'll have to turn to another quarterback at some point.

Is Jason Campbell ready to lead a team to playoffs? I don't think that his abilities are in question, but neither were Andre Ware's. Is it realistic to think that a man who has never taken an NFL snap can hold down the fort? How many Tom Brady's have there been since in the Super Bowl era? Gibbs has worked well with average talent at the position, but Williams and Rypien at least had a degree of experience.

How good is Brandon Lloyd? Does anyone know? Is he the answer to our problems at #2 receiver? Would you bet your team on it? We probably don't have to, but his emergence will be critical.

What about our secondary. AA looks really solid, but how is he all-pro material? Does he have to be if Sean Taylor is?

Can we expect our defensive line to continue to thrive under Gregg Williams system? Our talent is probably average, but the whole seems to be greater than the sum of its parts. Until one of those parts goes down...

Is there anyone who is enthusiastic about our kicking game? I've heard that John hall throws a mean roundhouse kick on the sidelines, but I'd much rather that he just stay healthly so we don't have to re-sign eddie murray at the age of 46. And Frost... Well, we what can be said?

Believe me, I know that this team can go places if the planets all align. However, the expectations that the members of this board perceive are certainly colored by a "group think" mentality. The rest of the pundits aren't that excited. And we should encourage that. It'll make it all the more satisfying when we prove them all wrong again.:2cents: :helmet:

At least we can all agree on one thing: Dallas Sucks...

Oh yeah, this is my 500th post on this site.:dance:

Not in '87. :D

We weren't the favorite in 87. NY Giants had won the SB and SF was one of the favorites. We were the #3 seed that year in the playoffs and got lucky that Minnesota (8-7) beat New Orleans (12-3) and SF (13-2) on the road and ran out of gas against us. We had to got to #2 Seed Chicago on the road. I wonder if that's the first time a team got the Conference Championship game at home after having to play a divisional game in the road? Anyone else know.

Back in the 70's the home teams were prepicked by the NFL, so some teams had to play on the road even though the had a better record.

I never base my feeling of the team based on Hype or no hype. It has little bearing on how the team plays.

I can honestly say that I am not worried one bit about the hype we are getting, because it wont affect how this team performs on the field AT ALL. I have a little more confidence in Gibbs than I do in superstition.

When taking a step back, is there anyone out there who believes that Brunell will likely last the year without either an injury or a demotion due to poor performance? Honestly, the chances are pretty good that we'll have to turn to another quarterback at some point.

Actually, I think Brunell's chances of playing in every game this season are better than the previous two seasons. Aren't there supposed to be a lot of 3-step drops this season? In my mind, getting rid of the ball quicker leads to a healthier QB. Any thoughts?

I see where you're coming from.

However, in order to be the perennial contender we were when Gibbs was here first, this team is going to have to learn to handle hype and praise. You can only sneak up on the league once. Once you do that and make the playoffs, there will be expectations.

What makes Gibbs a HOFer is the fact that teams were gunning for the Redskins for years and he still managed to win. We can't take the next step as a franchise without winning with expectations. If we can't get over that hurdle, we'll just be what we've been since Joe left. A mediocre or worse team that rises up once and while when the league isn't looking and rattles off a 10-6 season...only to fall back down to the pack for a few years.

All in all, I feel great about what's being said about us because it reminds me of when Gibbs was here the first time. I fully expect this team to manage the situation and play great football.

Is it me, or has there been an increase in threads where the titles don't describe the topic within at all? AND, people responding in threads without following the coversation at all? ;)

BIG MEANIE :(

:silly:

If we can't get over that hurdle, we'll just be what we've been since Joe left. A mediocre or worse team that rises up once and while when the league isn't looking and rattles off a 10-6 season...only to fall back down to the pack for a few years.

If that happens.... :cry:...:thud:

I've been a Skins fan since the '80's, Gibbs first era...In reference to the quality type of players that we have, what Gibbs is doing now he did it back then. I'm not worry at all... I can't wait until the season to start! So much excitment I'm looking forward to!

I'm just concerned about the QB situation. I love Brunell, but his age and does he have enough left in the tank for another season? I'd feel more comfortable with a proven back-up, not Todd Collins, and Jason still has to take his lumps as a rookie...my opinion

although I think your comment has some merit, i think its a very conservative statement. Brunell is definitely the x factor for this team to succeed. Nevertheless, brunell had a heck of a year considering he wasn't the starter at the begining of the season and only have 1 wr and 1 te as legit targets. If Brunell is our only consern other than the health of our players, then i think the Skins are in pretty good shape to do better than last year.

Some of you guys amaze me.

When the Redskins get hyped you are nervous and excited, when they dont you are upset and defensive.

There will be people that hop on the bandwagon and there will be people who have to try to justify their fluke stances from last season. And it doesnt only apply to the Redskins, it could be any team.

Look at the Cardinals, Dolphins, Bears, etc.

Personally I think the Patriots are a shell of their former team, and wont make the playoffs. Yet most media and people in general give them the benefit of the doubt to win the AFCE.

At this point it doesnt matter at all. By week 9 or so some teams make people change their tunes. Take this example: The Redskins were called the worst 3-0 team ever, they got to the point where they were 5-6. Only the faithful (many that are represented on this board) thought that the Redskins still had a chance to make the playoffs. They did and proved that they belonged to be there by winning a game, and being in position to win another.

No, It's just that we are a good team now, and we have a shot...frankly, weeks ago we were projected to be 3rd in the NFC East (and probably are still amongst some sport's analysts). It's nice to be recognized, b/c at this point if we don't come out with a 6-2 or 7-1 record at the midway point, people are going to write us off anyway. I say enjoy it and hopefully we'll fly under the radar until crunch time during the home stretch of the season.

HTTR!

There's media coverage that has us looking good,

there's media coverage that shows our potential weak spots.

There's some that see us not being in the running at all.

There's some that predict us being in the playoffs.

There's some that HOPE we can go all the way...most of that seems to be fans here.

But heck as of today, we aren't even favored by Vegas to win the division.

Dallas Cowboys 8/5

New York Giants 9/4

Washington Redskins 9/4

Philadelphia Eagles 14/5

July 1 2006 odds for NFC Championship...

Seattle Seahawks 4/1

Carolina Panthers 5/1

Dallas Cowboys 11/2

Washington Redskins 6/1

Chicago Bears 7/1

New York Giants 7/1

Philadelphia Eagles 8/1

July 1, 2006

Odds to win the 2007 Super Bowl

Indianapolis Colts 6/1

New England Patriots 8/1

Denver Broncos 10/1

Pittsburgh Steelers 10/1

Seattle Seahawks 10/1

Dallas Cowboys 12/1

Carolina Panthers 14/1

San Diego Chargers 14/1

Washington Redskins 14/1

I'm not worried about the hype.

I am excited that this looks to be the best Redskin team since 1991.

Archived