Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is going on with Sony and the PS3?

Beaudry

If the PS3 really comes out with a blue-ray drive, it's already paid for itself. Those things are going for about $1000 each, new. The PS3's cell technology smokes anything Microsoft puts into theirs. Also, Xbox live costs you money. PS3's is free.

That said, I might buy the Wii. It's the only one I can afford, but in the PS3 vs. Xbox 360 race, it's going to be a blowout on specs. The only thing Xbox has going for it is that it came out first. By the second year of games, you will be able to see the difference between the PS3 and the Xbox, and it won't be close.

I love it how the Sony crowd is trying to convince others that this machine will win out.

Sorry but what happend to PS2 will not happen with PS3, Xbox got the huge head start and if you think there were many issues with the XBOX 360 wait till this new PS3 comes out. The main developer behind this blueray technology left them a couple of months ago before it was completely finished. This is going to be on the biggest disasters we have seen, and it is due to Sony and their arrogance, they are in such financial trouble now this may push them over.

I agree the system it self would be amazing had they just used the dvd type disks, the blueray is only going to be reading at 2x or 4x which will be a major issue.

There is definately an buyer who will spend whatever Sony charges for the PS3. The techie guys who need to own all the cool stuff will buy it, and the die-hard PlayStation fans who have extreme brand loyalty. Still, if that is all they get then they will have really lost out.

Think about it this way. For $600 you could either own an PS3 or an Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii.

True, but the parents who have kids begging for it will not :)

If the PS3 really comes out with a blue-ray drive, it's already paid for itself. Those things are going for about $1000 each, new. The PS3's cell technology smokes anything Microsoft puts into theirs. Also, Xbox live costs you money. PS3's is free.

I don't know what you mean by it "paid for itself". The average consumer doesn't give a **** about blue-ray, everyone is just fine with dvd. You can't push a new medium onto the market, the masses will go for it when it becomes affordable. Right now, it is not affordable. Furthermore, who cares about paying an extra 50 bucks a year when the PS3 is $200 more?

That said, I might buy the Wii. It's the only one I can afford, but in the PS3 vs. Xbox 360 race, it's going to be a blowout on specs. The only thing Xbox has going for it is that it came out first. By the second year of games, you will be able to see the difference between the PS3 and the Xbox, and it won't be close.

You're not basing this off anything but your own opinion. Most of the developers who've commented on working with the PS3 are having a longer learning curve than usual with a brand new system. It's very difficult to code for. The specs don't show much of an upgrade over the 360 anyway. Just not worth that price, IMO.

I love it how the Sony crowd is trying to convince others that this machine will win out.

Sorry but what happend to PS2 will not happen with PS3, Xbox got the huge head start and if you think there were many issues with the XBOX 360 wait till this new PS3 comes out. The main developer behind this blueray technology left them a couple of months ago before it was completely finished. This is going to be on the biggest disasters we have seen, and it is due to Sony and their arrogance, they are in such financial trouble now this may push them over.

I agree the system it self would be amazing had they just used the dvd type disks, the blueray is only going to be reading at 2x or 4x which will be a major issue.

Also, looking at Sony's track record with consoles. The PS1 and PS2 both had high defective rates, how can Sony fanboys complain about the 360? The PS3 is assured of being just as defective considering their past.

Also, looking at Sony's track record with consoles. The PS1 and PS2 both had high defective rates, how can Sony fanboys complain about the 360? The PS3 is assured of being just as defective considering their past.

I would so more due to the new technology, no one has a clue how stable blueray will be.

Whenever PS3 comes out XBOX 360 will be about $300 or less, Microsoft is going to hit sony hard, many parents will not see spending double for a system will be worth it, no matter how much little johnny screams :)

JBooma needs to admit he's a Microsoft fanboy:D....I like both consoles and companies, I have no passion for Nintendo anymore. Sony and Microsoft have such strong fanbases that the bickering will always be going back and forth. I think blu-ray has the potential to be something special, but it really depends on a lot of things. There is only 2 companies I believe that are maufacturing HD DVD players, while Blu-Ray has quite a bit of backing. Only time will tell of course though....I plan on buying the PS3 though

JBooma needs to admit he's a Microsoft fanboy:D....I like both consoles and companies, I have no passion for Nintendo anymore. Sony and Microsoft have such strong fanbases that the bickering will always be going back and forth. I think blu-ray has the potential to be something special, but it really depends on a lot of things. There is only 2 companies I believe that are maufacturing HD DVD players, while Blu-Ray has quite a bit of backing. Only time will tell of course though....I plan on buying the PS3 though

BETA had more backing at first :D

Personally with DVD's, HD TV's, I think HD DVD's is the natural progression, it doesn't matter how much backing something has it is what the public will buy if you tell them you can have HD DVD or Blueray I see the majority sticking with what they have now.

The other thing I have heard is the blueray disks are more fragile then the hd dvd, this can be a big issue, 30 gigs is fine.

You have a Blu-Ray player and a Video game system for 600 bucks.

You have a standalone Game system for 500 bucks

You the have a standalone Blew-Ray player for a 1000 bucks

To me somethings ain't right; I mean either the video game graphics are going to suffer or the Blu-Ray player is going to be grainy as all hell.

Why are they selling the Player for a $1,000 and the PS3 and BR player together for $600

I bet the BR that comes packaged with the game is up converted from 1080i. Something just ain't right.

How much is it for Sony to put a generic Blu-Ray player in the PS3?

You have a Blu-Ray player and a Video game system for 600 bucks.

You have a standalone Game system for 500 bucks

You the have a standalone Blew-Ray player for a 1000 bucks

To me somethings ain't right; I mean either the video game graphics are going to suffer or the Blu-Ray player is going to be grainy as all hell.

Why are they selling the Player for a $1,000 and the PS3 and BR player together for $600

I bet the BR that comes packaged with the game is up converted from 1080i. Something just ain't right.

How much is it for Sony to put a generic Blu-Ray player in the PS3?

I have heard it could be that way because the player on the PS3 is going to to read at 2x or 4x

I have heard it could be that way because the player on the PS3 is going to to read at 2x or 4x

Is that to cut down on heat?

Because M$ owns the patent on the water cooled system that comes equiped in the guts of the 360.

you know that that 2X 4X isn't a universal speed, right? 2X on a CD player and 2X on a DVD player are two completely different speeds. i can only assume the same goes for blu-ray and HD DVD

you know that that 2X 4X isn't a universal speed, right? 2X on a CD player and 2X on a DVD player are two completely different speeds. i can only assume the same goes for blu-ray and HD DVD

The 360 has a 12X speed DVD player.

my point is that 12X DVD doesn't tell you **** compared to 2X or 4X Blu-ray unless you know the actual speeds of those because they have completly different meanings.

How can you assume and then make a point? Until you have the true facts I and others want know what you mean.

and calm down with the ****

my point is that 12X DVD doesn't tell you **** compared to 2X or 4X Blu-ray unless you know the actual speeds of those because they have completly different meanings.

hello this is first generation, which is why it will be 1x or 2x so yes we know exactly what it means, the question is what will the speed of the stand alone players be compared to the ps3

PokerPacker is right. 2x Blu-ray/HD-DVD is way different than say 16x DVD because of how much data is on the disk.

For a DVD, 1x is 1352.54KB/second (that's a bit over the 9x CD drive speeds). Following the convention, 2x for a DVD drive is 2,705KB/second, 4x is 5,410KB/second, 8x is 10,820KB/second, and 16x would be 21,640KB/second.

According to the Blu-ray Disc specification, 1x speed is defined as 36Mbps. However, as BD-ROM movies will require a 54Mbps data transfer rate the minimum speed we're expecting to see is 2x (72Mbps). Blu-ray also has the potential for much higher speeds, as a result of the larger numerical aperture (NA) adopted by Blu-ray Disc. The large NA value effectively means that Blu-ray will require less recording power and lower disc rotation speed than DVD and HD-DVD to achieve the same data transfer rate. While the media itself limited the recording speed in the past, the only limiting factor for Blu-ray is the capacity of the hardware. If we assume a maximum disc rotation speed of 10,000 RPM, then 12x at the outer diameter should be possible (about 400Mbps). This is why the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) already has plans to raise the speed to 8x (288Mbps) or more in the future.

Edit - Whoops, Source

That was exactly the case with the Xbox vs PS2. In every spec possibly the Xbox blew the PS2 out of the water. Even with a worse everything the PS2 still won the last generation console war.

That was exactly the case with the Xbox vs PS2. In every spec possibly the Xbox blew the PS2 out of the water. Even with a worse everything the PS2 still won the last generation console war.

and a ****y sony thinks it has everything to do with them and their system and not the software.

It the software the still has me thinking that I will still pick up a ps3. If Square/Enix, Konami or Namco came out and said that they would producing ALL of their titles cross consoles, I'd just pick their titles up for the 360. The only thing that would even have me considering Sony would be for the titles that are produced by their in house developers such as the next version of Socom or titles like Shadow of the Colossus.

Although it was the inferior product, it already had an established fanbase and more brand loyalty than other product in the world. Microsoft was just entering an industry in which they had no previous experience and were bound to make mistakes because of it.

Sony's price this time around is no where near Microsoft's. Mostly due to using technology they have no idea whether the market wants or not. They also don't have an established installed base like last time. I don't see how anyone can be optimistic about Sony's chances this time around.

It the software the still has me thinking that I will still pick up a ps3. If Square/Enix, Konami or Namco came out and said that they would producing ALL of their titles cross consoles, I'd just pick their titles up for the 360. The only thing that would even have me considering Sony would be for the titles that are produced by their in house developers such as the next version of Socom or titles like Shadow of the Colossus.

Alot of Japanese companies, especially Square/Enix, won't develop their best games on the 360 for nationalist reasons. Nintendo is most likely to pick up the support of third party developers who get frustrated with Sony.

• 2 months later...

sorry if this has already been answered, I just don't know what to search for, but when did the PS3 have the blu-ray tech taken out? I was looking forward towards that, and also the "TiVo" that would have been in the more expensive system. so can anyone fill me in...because I'm totally lost...

Archived