Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The reverse and the Redskin screen.

skinpride1

Hello out there in Redskin land.I don't post much on here and I am more of a reader.I was watching some highlight clips of Randel El and I was amazed at how well the guy was on a reverse and kick returning.I can see why Joe Gibbs wanted this guy on the roster.I started to wonder how well Randel El could be on a Redskin screen.I think like Santana Moss he has the right juke moves to make it work.I also want to know who is going to go nuts when Randel El throws a touchdown pass to Santana Moss?I think we will have many trick plays in the upcoming season. :dallasuck

Honestly... Saunders "O" is so different from what they`re doing in Pittsburgh I just dont see the Skins relying to heavily on trickery, if at all...

Having said that, I wont complain if and when the Randel el to Moss connection makes its debut in Washington.

Wasn't it trickery that doomed the Skins last year against the Chiefs. I was at that game and recall P. Holmes running a toss back screen pass thingy that went for 6. I'm still pissed about that. Al Saunders will find a way to use the tools that he has. Screen passes and all.

Gibbs ran a LOT of reverses with Art Monk (former college RB) and occasionally with Clark and Sanders. - I have no doubt we'll see some with Randle El.

Reverses are good to run every now and then, because once you run them you can fake them and defenses have to respect it.

Honestly... Saunders "O" is so different from what they`re doing in Pittsburgh I just dont see the Skins relying to heavily on trickery, if at all...

Having said that, I wont complain if and when the Randel el to Moss connection makes its debut in Washington.

it might be the first td thrown this season for the skins

they ran the reverse with moss several times last year, I believe moss had 4 carries for 5 yards or something like that.

I would just love to see reverses this year blocked better lol

I would love to see the redskins use the reverse this year because of the speed we have in Moss, El and Co. We already know what they can do with the screen.

We'll see. The offense should be intresting to watch. My only concern is that the offense get in synch during pre-season rather than the first couple of weeks of the regular season.

I agree with this. But I take comfort in the fact that we play the Vikings in game one and the Vikings defense is nothing to write home about so we should be able to put 30 + on them and get in sync for the Cowboys the following week.

Gibbs ran a LOT of reverses with Art Monk (former college RB) and occasionally with Clark and Sanders. - I have no doubt we'll see some with Randle El.

Reverses are good to run every now and then, because once you run them you can fake them and defenses have to respect it.

Thats exactly how I remember it (though I was young), but you could always count on at least a couple of gadget plays.

I hope the Redskins offense is conservative in the first game against Minnesota.

The defense will shut down the Vikings and Brad Johnson so a 17-6 victory would be just fine and then the Cowboys wouldn't have any idea in week 2 what to expect.

The Redskins screen that I love the most originated during the Theisman years when the QB would drop back pump fake a screen then go to the opposite side to the tight end screen. It is just a great play and Cooley ran it to perfection this year. It's scary to think how many trick plays Gibbs and Saunders will have at their disposal this year with Moss, Randle El, Portis and Cooley. :yikes:

For What its worth, I actually run that very play in MAdden all the time.

Quick screen out to Moss from the double tight end set, and I get Cooley and Archuleta out to block. It consistently gets me 6-8 yards but sometimes breaks for a long TD.

The offensive threats are finally going to get us to the Super Bowl!

Hello out there in Redskin land.I don't post much on here and I am more of a reader.I was watching some highlight clips of Randel El and I was amazed at how well the guy was on a reverse and kick returning.I can see why Joe Gibbs wanted this guy on the roster.I started to wonder how well Randel El could be on a Redskin screen.I think like Santana Moss he has the right juke moves to make it work.I also want to know who is going to go nuts when Randel El throws a touchdown pass to Santana Moss?I think we will have many trick plays in the upcoming season. :dallasuck

i'd go nuts if joe bugel throws a td. doesn't matter top me.

That's what I'm talking about... the ability to open things up w/ fakes and decoys.

Fake wr screen to ARE or Moss

Fake reverse to ARE or Moss

Fake end around to ARE or Moss

Fake pass by ARE

I can't wait for teams to stack the box (you know they will until we prove that our QB can beat them. :cheers:

I think Saunders will use ARE in the same way he used Dante Hall in KC to take advantage of his speed and moves. The Skins in the 80's were never about "trick plays", although they did every once in a while. If you watch NFL films with Gibbs and Bugel in the 80's and 90's, it was more "mis-direction". They always wanted to keep the other team off balance and guessing. I think that is the missing piece that Saunders is going to bring to us.

I remember a few Riggins/Theismann/Monk flea flickers and double reverses to Alvin Garrett, Clark and Saunders, but they were just to keep the defenses off balance.

Archived