Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE 1930's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's

Die Hard

My wife, btw, has a large metal plate in her head from an open skull fracture she suffered in a bike accident as a kid. She's lucky she had no major brain damage.

You positive there was no brain damage??? She did end up marrying you. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Dems jus jokes!

I keep my Children outside every day i have them..

*Pick up youngest before school next to Moms house... wait for the kids recess to end.

*Play at the playground for 20 minutes. (Oldest gets out).

*Then go to the other 2 playgrounds next to the house... Some of the neighbors go there, keeps them in the know :) so to speak.

*Roller skates, bikes, big wheels 12x8 sandbox, playhouse...

Its out fault the above are like that: though i dont recommend the back of a pickup on the highway anymore...specially holding onto a couple of innertubes.

619 bicyclists were killed in crashes with motor vehicles in 2003. This is 7 percent fewer than in 2002 and down 38 percent since 1975.

A very high percentage of cyclists' brain injuries can be prevented by a helmet, estimated at anywhere from 45 to 88 per cent

http://www.helmets.org/stats.htm

This "blitz" saves lives and is a minor inconvenience. Maybe you don't know anyone that died in elementary school because of this, but many people do. Heck, you even say that you make your kid wear a helmet. It's the right thing to do, and it would help if people stopped complaining about it and just got on board. If less people fought it, it wouldn't have to be such an annoying campaign.

So where did I say they weren't a good idea? You are attacking my post as if I'm against helmets. If you take the time to read my post you will see that I support the use of helmets, I merely pointed out that when I was a kid we didn't wear them and no one I knew ever suffered a brain injury because of it. I never said it doesn't happen, just I never saw it. Take a deep breath, never said helmets were stupid and there is no need for them. I'm not even complaining about it so why attack my post?

Oh, and by the way. Do you actually think a helmet makes that much of a difference if someone hits you in a car? Seriously it's not like they're motorcycle helmets. I think they're disigned more for someone involved in wrecking their bike and taking a spill not being hit by a freaking vehicle. It's like the dumbasses who make us wear hard hats because we're working overhead with steel. Okay so it will help if you're hit by a nut or bolt but it's not going to stop a steel I beam from pummeling your ass. Or will it?

Someone mentioned that back in the day we actually had tryouts for sports and not everyone made the team. You ever wonder if those who didn't make the team are the ones who sue if their kid gets hurt?

Whats with all the little kids playing organized sports? Just let them go to the park and play pickup games and make their own rules. That will teach them to be creative, solve problems and much more than having a bunch of parents telling them to run over here and kick it this way etc.

Anyone remember playing "smear the queer" or "rumble fumble"? Where everyone just tries to gang-tackle the person with the football. When you're down, toss the ball and someone else picks it up and runs for their life!

I'm sorry I don't agree. first off...explain latch key kid, and secondly, my gf and I everyday hate sending her to daycare, but we are starting to realize that she is getting something out of it. She's learning to be around others, instead of just me and her. We can see how open she is to others now because of it, so...get off your soap-box, "your" way isn't always the right way.

A latch key kid is a kid who comes home from school having to use a key to get in the house because there is no one there.

But this term goes beyond just letting themselves in.

This may not be you, but a lot of parents have their prioritys mixed up. They work 2 income jobs to create a nice lifestyle for the family, but the trade off is quality time with the kids and each other.

It's like that song Cat's in the Craddle.

"When you coming home dad?

I don't know when, but we will get together then, you'll know we'll have a good time then."

Then look at how the song ends, it's the same but reverse, the father is old and wants to see his children, but his son has grown up just like him.

I sure hope your daughter is getting out more in public than just some "daycare".

Don't you guys have a social life?

This so far is the only thing I can agree with. You seem to like to generalize and put people who work two jobs in the same category. My girlfriend and I both spend TONS of time with our daughter on weekends, and after daycare. We also know how we plan on raising her...first being...outside better then staying indoors, but I really don't have to justify things to you....I know my daughter will be raised right, well-balanced, and have an open mind to all things, and not be a closed-minded fool.

Well good for you and your family.

Because it's you that's going to either pay for it, or enjoy it, depending on what path you take.

I'm just trying to give the neglected kids a voice.

My daughter has actually regressed a little bit since my wife has been home on maternity leave. She's kind of went back into her shell so to speak. She's real stand offish with other kids and it takes her a while to warm up to them. She wasn't lke that in daycare.

Kids get like that around strangers. :D

As I stated in my other post, I agree...my daughter used to be standoff-ish to all others, including other members of our family. Since she's been in daycare, she's been open, and more comfortable outside of a quiet home.

Don't you have any activitys to goto where other familys get together?

Like some kind of family picnics or something?

Well good for you and your family.

Because it's you that's going to either pay for it, or enjoy it, depending on what path you take.

I'm just trying to give the neglected kids a voice.

Not all kids who's parents have 2 jobs are neglected...and I offer you this...not all kids who have parents where only 1 works are not neglected, or well rounded.

What went wrong?

You guys had kids, and didn't do what you were suppose to do.

Now we have 2 income familys, latch key kids, neglected "go play somewhere else" kids.

Lumping all parents of today is just off base. Knowing enough of the members here, most seem to be on the same page when it comes to raising their kids.

And look what happened to you guys, you became parents and bought into all the mass media hysteria and are now frightened of EVERYTHING.

When I was still in highschool, a girl I knew well was raped and murdered 200 feet from her house. That was 1978, and things have not gotten better, so it's not all media hysteria.

Yeh, I know ... I'm over sensitive to the lack of parental involvement thing. I coach three different sports and work directly with 150 kids, and I swear I couldn't identify the parents of more than a third of them. You know the kids have arrived at practice when you hear the squeal of tyres as the parent pulls away. :doh: :laugh:

After coaching soccer for 4 years, I agree completely. So many of the parents thing it's a babysitting service.

Yes! very good example of ridiculous, suing a coach for an injury!! :doh: I can only imagine what a pain in the ass this is for coaches in full contact sports.

I've been luckey to never have any type of injury to a player that needed more then an ice pack, but our soccer club carries a huge liability policy.

Grandparents? So you weren't a latch key kid.

And as far as the world being different, where 2 incomes are needed, and then saying "sorry that's not the way it is anymore", tell that to the kids. They are the ones who have to suffer for it, and then people on this board calls them sissys for it????

Kids don't come fully programmed. And the program that they are getting, isn't worth the paper used to wipe my ass!

Whats the Problem with two incomes, or three ? My day worked two jobs, and my mom worked also. Me and my dad spent tons of time together hunting, fishing, playing sports, camping, and just about anything else fathers and sons do. The huouse was well kept, always food on the table, and mom still had time to help with home work, and school projects and such.

I work full time, as does my wife. We were luckey enough to have my parents near by, and my daughter spent her early years there while we worked. Even then, she went to a preschool program three days a week, two years prior to starting kindergarten.

She's thirteen now. She's been a straight A student from day one in a gifted program, was just excepted into the national junior honors, and has gotten awards every year. She's an alter server at our church, a volunteer junior camp councelor at the science center, runs track and plays soccer on the school team, plays soccer for the city club, and had played on the travling team. She just coached her first season of spring soccer (5 and 6 year olds), and had picked up some babysitting jobs from it.

Where have my wife and I failed her by having two incomes? There are plenty of parents on this board that are just as involved with their kids as I.

Yes there are many parents who aren't involved with their kids. Again, I've sen it first hand as a socer coach, and as a mechanic who repairs ATV's dirt bikes, and Gokarts, which are mechanical babysitters.

I seriously doubt you'll find any unenvolved parents here on this site.

It was different growng up in the 60's. We use to run around the back streets of the Bronx at the age of 6. We would play stick ball, or street hocky. If you didn't have skates, you would get on from a friend, and play with a sneeker and a skate. Hide and seak was the best in the city.

We moved to the burbs when I was 7, and than the world opened up even more. As others said, out of the house at sun up, and home for dinner. I was big into the toy soldiers, and had four different types from this killer toy store we had in town. They all had weapons that were accurate to the army they were from, and came in four colors. Germans in gray, Ausis in light green, US in darker green, and Japanese in caki yellow.

I didn't use glue to torch them, I would lift lighter fuid from my dads bedroom, mix it with vasoline to make a napom type of goo. One of my favorite things was burning soldier held in your hand. When the burning plastic would drop off, it made the coolest sound.

By the time I hit 12, I was riding a dirt bike when I wasn't playing ball, or with my friends fishing or swiming in one of the local resevoirs. We would also ride our bikes everywhere. One of our favorite places to go was about 10 miles away. It was a WW I base called Camp Bluefield. You couldn't ride up to the place, so we would stash our bikes, and hike up the mountain. There were a series of underground tunnels, and we would bring ropes and flashlights with us so we could explore. By far, the coolest palce a kid could go to explore.

When I was in highschool, we would hold huge weekend keg parties there.

Oh, and by the way. Do you actually think a helmet makes that much of a difference if someone hits you in a car?

That was the reason I posted the statistic about 45% being preventable by helmets. The kid I knew was not hit by a car going that fast. The car slowed down by braking and hit him at about 15mph. It wasn't the collision that killed him. The impact of his head on the pavement killed him. The doctors were pretty sure a helmet would have saved his life and he would have healed just fine with no long term injuries.

I guess it was unfair to single out your post, it was just the last one I read on the subject. Also quoting makes it more likely that I'll get a reply. Your post also stuck out to me because you say that you do make your kid wear a helmet and at the same time you seemed upset about people wanting kids to wear helmets. That didn't make any sense to me.

:D

That was the reason I posted the statistic about 45% being preventable by helmets. The kid I knew was not hit by a car going that fast. The car slowed down by braking and hit him at about 15mph. It wasn't the collision that killed him. The impact of his head on the pavement killed him. The doctors were pretty sure a helmet would have saved his life and he would have healed just fine with no long term injuries.

I guess it was unfair to single out your post, it was just the last one I read on the subject. Also quoting makes it more likely that I'll get a reply. Your post also stuck out to me because you say that you do make your kid wear a helmet and at the same time you seemed upset about people wanting kids to wear helmets. That didn't make any sense to me.

You obviously misunderstood my post. Again I support kids wearing helmets but it just wasn't a big deal when I was a kid. That's what the original post was all about, then and now. A lot of things that weren't a big deal back in the day are a big deal now, thats all.

I'd like to see the same statistic for pedestrian deaths caused by auto strikes. Maybe we should start wearing helmets walking down the streets as well. Hell, maybe we should wear football pads and helmets everywhere we go. Then the only thing we would have to worry about would be drive by's and bird flu. :D

Yes. But now it's called...

"Persuading The Boy With The Fabulous Hair To Relinquish the Football."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I think some pee just came out!

To all you parents doing a good job, that's great! Keep up the good work.

Those who aren't, and you can always tell by how the kids act, better rethink what your prioritys are.

That's the whole purpose of why I am posting in this thread.

Wearing helmets is only common sense.

And what does wearing helmets have to do with how kids are today?

A great quote from Carlin: "There's too much emphasis on safety. Kids have to wear a helmet now for everything but je*kin' off, for Chrissakes!"

Do you mean to tell me you wore a helmet all the time growing up? I mean, when you were riding bikes, skateboarding, etc. You almost HAD to crack your head on the pavement at least once. It was rite of passage!

619 bicyclists were killed in crashes with motor vehicles in 2003. This is 7 percent fewer than in 2002 and down 38 percent since 1975.

A very high percentage of cyclists' brain injuries can be prevented by a helmet, estimated at anywhere from 45 to 88 per cent

http://www.helmets.org/stats.htm

This "blitz" saves lives and is a minor inconvenience. Maybe you don't know anyone that died in elementary school because of this, but many people do. Heck, you even say that you make your kid wear a helmet. It's the right thing to do, and it would help if people stopped complaining about it and just got on board. If less people fought it, it wouldn't have to be such an annoying campaign.

And my guess would be most of those cyclists died because they thought they were too "good" to ride on the trails and just had to ride on the freakin' HIGHWAY, bottling up traffic and causing problems. It's fine if you want to ride your cute little bike with your cute little outfit, but get the hell out of my way when I'm on a MAIN ROAD in an AUTOMOBILE! I will NOT share the road! You are NOT a car! You are going 10 freakin' miles an hour! How many times I have fantasized about throwing a stick into their spokes as I drive by.

Stay off the roads and deal with the trails. That is what they are there for.

That wasn't directed at you, of course. I have no idea if you are one of those special Lance Armstrong wannabes or not.

They just make me crazy.

Archived