Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Replica versus Authentic

NewCliche21

So I'm getting season tickets for the first time, and I definitely want to wear a jersey to each game. I'm thinking a Taylor or Portis white. I just wanted to know what was so great about authentics as compared to replicas, what size I should get compared to real-world sizes, where the best/least expensive places are to buy them, and what prices I should be looking at. Can anyone help a fan out?

replicas after awhile washing the numbers start to crack and fade I dont like replicas authentic are heavy jerseys they fit better and nothing is screen printed they runn like 250 I think but I just bought a portis throwback for 50 bucks on ebay theres a place to go start your search the best reason why is they last longer and cheaper there than even a replica at a sports store you cant beat it esp since they players dont usually stick around here long in redskins land

In my opinion, jersey-wearing is a sort of gradual thing. I first started off buying a screened jersey. It was okay but I wanted one like they wear on the field. I eventually got into the sewn-numbers jerseys, (e.g. so-called Authentic) which look a LOT better. The numbers stand out, they're stiffer, and the overall look is much more impressive. But still, it wasn't the one they wear on the field. Now I wear team-issued jerseys, which, IMHO, are much cooler than authentic, but not cheap.

Beware of authentic jerseys on ebay. About 90% of them are counterfeits.

I am 5'10, 165 lbs, a size 46 fits me nicely.

So I'm getting season tickets for the first time, and I definitely want to wear a jersey to each game. I'm thinking a Taylor or Portis white. I just wanted to know what was so great about authentics as compared to replicas, what size I should get compared to real-world sizes, where the best/least expensive places are to buy them, and what prices I should be looking at. Can anyone help a fan out?

Just remember, wing sauce is hell on the white ones! :laugh:

The dry cleaner is your friend.

Just remember, wing sauce is hell on the white ones! :laugh:

The dry cleaner is your friend.

I've been wondering how I'll be caring for my Taylor authentic. Do they hold up to machine washing / hang drying or is dry cleaning the way to go? :logo:

I've been wondering how I'll be caring for my Taylor authentic. Do they hold up to machine washing / hang drying or is dry cleaning the way to go? :logo:

I always dry clean mine. Never tried machine washing them. They hold up really well to the dry cleaning. Look like new everytime so far.

ebay is the way to go. I just got this 100% authentic Portis jersey off of ebay for 110 bucks. It has cuffed sleeves, and spandex sides and shoulders just like the authentic ones. The #'s are triple stitched and everything. It could be passed off as an authentic one and Portis probably could wear it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/C-Portis-Washington-Redskins-Authentic-Jersey-sz-54-M_W0QQitemZ8801709266QQcategoryZ24977QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#paymentmethods

I got a Replithentic Sean Taylor recently and its pretty sweet. I was able to get it for 80 bucks but its an XL though and I'm only 5'9 170 lbs. If I were you, I'd go with the Replithentic. You get the stitched on number and name yet the price is 1/3(100 bucks) of a Authentic(300 bucks at Redskins store). The only difference between the two is the Burgundy and Gold stripes on the sides I think.

I got a Replithentic Sean Taylor recently and its pretty sweet. I was able to get it for 80 bucks but its an XL though and I'm only 5'9 170 lbs. If I were you, I'd go with the Replithentic. You get the stitched on number and name yet the price is 1/3(100 bucks) of a Authentic(300 bucks at Redskins store). The only difference between the two is the Burgundy and Gold stripes on the sides I think.

The authentic ones are way different than replithentic. The numbers are different because the replithentic ones can still fade. The just screen print the number on the material and then sew it on. Authentics don't have any screen print on their numbers and they are different materials. Authentics are a much heavier weight and aren't that shiny nylon material like replithentic and replicas. Also, authentics have the cuffed sleeves. I would say that authentic is the way to go because they look and feel the best.

The authentic ones are way different than replithentic. The numbers are different because the replithentic ones can still fade. The just screen print the number on the material and then sew it on. Authentics don't have any screen print on their numbers and they are different materials. Authentics are a much heavier weight and aren't that shiny nylon material like replithentic and replicas. Also, authentics have the cuffed sleeves. I would say that authentic is the way to go because they look and feel the best.
The simple fact is that you get what you pay for!!!!!!

:laugh: :laugh:

Hi! I've been reading posts for years, but this is actually my first posting. I'm an Auburn grad and may create (yet another) post on Campbell in the future. I actually have a lot of information from e-mails I sent to fellow Skins/Auburn grads who live outside of the DC Metro area, and co-workers who I let borrow some footage and general discussions. Man, can't wait for football season! Anyway, regarding your post:

AUTHENTICS

I used to wear "authentics" to games but I don't like to get any smudges on them since they're so expensive. As one brethren suggested, stains on any white jerseys are hard to get out! If you do buy an authentic and need to wash it, dry cleaning may be the best bet. You can soak the jersey, vs tossing it in the washing machine, but it will be wrinkled, especially the stitched numbers. The dry cleaners will press it, although I've never sent one to the cleaners. I have several authentics and usually wear them out, just not to actual games. Between your own situations, combined with others gaffs, plus ketchup/mustard/beer/relish and other stains, I don't like to risk the damage. If you're pretty careful, don't worry about it. I wear my authentics to the amll, store, etc., or collect them for autographs, framing, etc.

REPLICAS

They aren't as nice as authentics, but I wear them to games just bc you're bound to get some smudges on them from your own carelessness or others, and I'd rather it be on the replicas versus the more expensive authentics. For replicas I wear the burgundy, darker colors that hide dirt more easily. As someone mentioned, you can wash these, but don't place them in the dryer. I soak mine so the constant washing machine swirling doesn't destroy the printed decor. So, I'd suggest soaking the replicas and hanging them up to air dry. As someone also mentioned, the drying machine will eventually cause the printed decor to crack.

COLOR

You will be tempted to nab the white ones since the team currently wears these jerseys in the game. As mentioned, for replicas I like to wear the (dark) burgundy ones to games, but if you're careful you could wear either colors.

For authentics it just depends on what's available for your favorite player.

You can get replicas that aren't screen printed, can't you?

Those are called repli-thentic jerseys. They are replica jersey matieral, but have the sewn on numbers of an authentic. They usually come in only older players like theismann and williams.

I think that replithentics are the way to go. If you do not care if the jersey is authentic or not, then go get an "authentic" on ebay. You do have to do your homework because they a lot of times have bad looking "authentics". I have done the homework and gotten some really good looking "authentics" on ebay. Wore one to training camp and the redskins gate people complimented me on my jersey. I didn't pay more than $40 for it, versus the near 300 you would normally pay.

Everything in the threads has been great. I have replicas and authentics and I would recommend an authentic, but take very good care of it of course. The problem with redskins jerseys is that if no matter how much you spend ($30.00 to $300.00) Is that player going to be around long enough to justify spending the money??? I bought two Lavar Arrington 70th Anniversary Authentic retro jerseys in 2002. He did not sign a deal to have his jerseys made until around 2003/2004 (not 100% sure) Anyways, if you wanted his jersey, you had to pay serious money for it. Especially the 70th Anniversary ones. Now they are sitting in my closet collecting dust. When i bought them I kept one in a suitbag to get autographed and wore the other one everywhere (because he was my favorite player and also because I loved the jersey) , got all kinds of compliments and was asked numerous times where I got it. Now it is just another former player's jersey that I wasted too much money on. Anyways, sorry went on a tangent there. Get a jersey of a player that is going to stick around a while (which nowaday's is unlikely, Lavar said he wanted to retire as a Redskin, see you on Dec. 30th with the Giants traitor.) Places will change the name on the back of an old jersey for you anywhere from $10-$35 (smoot to taylor is a rare perfect example, time to take that old westbrook jersey out of the carwash rag bucket and change it to Randle El). If you have the chance, get a Authentic Darrell Green jersey, take care of it and you can wear that to every game for the rest of your life. That is one jersey that will never lose value. Sorry to ramble on, just venting my own frustration and I had to make this decesion myself a few times, they seemed good at the time, now they are reminders of how $325.00 turned into $3.25. Darrell Green and Art Monk Canton class of 2007!!!!

replicas after awhile washing the numbers start to crack and fade I dont like replicas authentic are heavy jerseys they fit better and nothing is screen printed they runn like 250 I think but I just bought a portis throwback for 50 bucks on ebay theres a place to go start your search the best reason why is they last longer and cheaper there than even a replica at a sports store you cant beat it esp since they players dont usually stick around here long in redskins land

They wont crack if you get it dry cleaned, its what i do and all my jerseys #'s are fine after 5+ years :)

Authentics are heavy and thick, hate wearing mine in the summer! bleh

(i get hot easy may be why) lol

Okay I need a new jersey to wear to games since my Lavar replica is now obsolete and I will NOT be one of those guys who wear former (non icon) players' jerseys to games! People, stop wearing a Skip Hicks jersey to games. You look like a tool - you and the donkey who put his own name on the back of the jersey.

Anyway, My Lavar jersey lasted me 6 strong years (bought it in the summer of 00 before his rookie season. Nike wasn't even supposed to make them) which isn't a bad investment for $50.

Now I NEED a Sean Taylor jersey. Until recently I knew of only replica and authentic. I thought that any jersey with sewn on numbers was authentic (and therefore expensive).

I've seen some people reference "EQT jerseys" as well. WTF are those? Are those different from replithentic?

Last year someone who isn't a huge Redskins fan offered me an old Rod Gardner jersey and I took it because, hey, why not!? It has the sewn on letters/numbers but I have no idea if it's replithentic or authentic. There's nothing on it that specifies. If it's a replithentic, I'll take one of those every day of the week! I seriously thought it was a $250 authentic when I got it. I was also hoping to be able to take off the name and put on a new name once we actually get a decent #87 if that's possible.

Archived