Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Diamonds created from Cremation Ashes

HOF44

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. Just so everyone knows, you can't "create" a diamond. think about it, if you could, diamond mines would be out of business. Secondly, did you loof at the prices? This is borderline illegal.

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. Just so everyone knows, you can't "create" a diamond. think about it, if you could, diamond mines would be out of business. Secondly, did you loof at the prices? This is borderline illegal.

You can create a diamond.

http://pubs.acs.org/cen/coverstory/8205/8205diamonds.html

In a warehouse in Sarasota, Fla., a company called Gemesis is growing diamonds in two dozen or so high-pressure, high-temperature crystal growth chambers, each the size of a washing machine. Within each chamber, a tiny sliver of natural diamond is bathed in a molten solution of graphite and a proprietary metal-based catalyst at approximately 1,500 °C and 58,000 atm of pressure. Slowly, carbon precipitates onto the diamond seed crystal. A gem-quality, 2.8-carat rough yellow diamond grows in just under three-and-a-half days.

Actually, believe it or not, there is some research going on in creating man made diamonds. Mostly it involves creating temps high enough and with enough pressure, but it can be done.

Here is one article about it:

http://pubs.acs.org/cen/coverstory/8205/8205diamonds.html

That's pretty cool. Why hasn't the price of diamonds dropped dramatically? It is 1/3 the price.

The turning a loved one into a diamond is still creepy.

Edit: should have mentioned I took geology in 2003. I did get an A.

Probably because there is still a stigma attached to man made diamonds. I'm not sure its good for a guy's health to tell his gal, "Hey honey, I saved loads on your engagement ring by buying the man made diamond!"

Plus, as far as I know its still not an overly common practice, I doubt that many have hit the marketplace yet. Like anything, some people will prefer the "real" things vs the man made option.

The price of these man made diamonds don't affect the diamond market cause some people know they are fakes. They have been around, but they are marketed differently, and I think skilled jewelers can still tell.

A natural diamond still holds the market due to the sentimental value. Diamonds are not in any less quantity than rubies, emeralds, or sapphires, but those stones are not as preferred due to all the hype a diamond gets. A person will say they don't want a fake diamond, they'd rather want a "real" one.

umm first off, as everyone else has stated. making diamonds has been going on for years. Ever hear of a diamond tipped drill bit? GE makes industrial diamonds. These diamonds are flawed, and discolored, but they are diamonds. Chemically a diamond is just a piece of carbon with it's bond crystal alttice altered (wow...chemistry lesson there).

Also, how is this any different then having someones ashes displayed in an urn on your mantle? If someone wants to go that root instead of burial...then that's fine with me.

I'm not sure its good for a guy's health to tell his gal, "Hey honey, I saved loads on your engagement ring by buying the man made diamond!"

Commercial I've seen. Guy comes home, says "Happy Aniversery, Honey. I didn't get a gift, but I thought about it a lot."

Woman pauses, wraps her arms around the guy, says "I love you."

Announcer: "Imagine how different things would be if really was the thought that counts."

Archived