Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Am I being an Idiot or a Nice Guy (Read before voting)

Mass_SkinsFan

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Hello again,

Well, here's the most recent update on everything.....

We FINALLY have a date and location for Crown Tournament!!!! This information generally comes out the second week of July. It finally came out this past Wednesday. We'll be at a Boy Scout camp in Kingston, NH on Saturday, November 4th. That's 9 weeks from tomorrow. There is no pre-registration and there is no feast, so that's two less things to worry about.

Frantic emails have been zooming around the last two days trying to make sure we've got everything in order. Brigit's dress is nearing completion and I hear that she's already got my favor made. One of her Ladies in Waiting is already talking to the event director (Autocrat) about the handicapped accessability of the site, as Brigit has some walking issues. I've been in contact with the people I ordered some new armor from at Pennsic to ensure it will be here in time for me to get used to wearing it before the tournament. However, I do have some armor/weapon issues I need to get dealt with very soon. I also need to get my surcoat (with my heraldry) made and my shield cover (with her heraldry on it) made. We also need to get everyone together and go over proper etiquette and decorum for the event.

I really need to be getting to BOTH fighter practices (Tues. night and Sunday) for the next 8 weeks. I've still got too much of a melee mentality going on in my head. I need to get into a "singles fighting" mentality quickly or I'm going to get hurt.

Well, there it is. That's the news of the day.

Great job MSF.

Question, is this a publuic event or a private one? I am curious, because kingston is not that far from me (about 1hr) and I would like to see the event if it is done is a public setting.

Chom, thanks for the kind words.

Yes, the VAST majority of SCA events ARE open to the public, and Crown Tournament IS one of them. This Crown is probably not going to be as extravigant as some of the others since it's being thrown together at the last moment, to a degree. There will still be a fair amount of pagentry and chivalry on display, but it probably won't be as "perfect" as some I've been to in the past. Here is the event announcement, which should have most of the information you need.

http://www.eastkingdom.org/event-detail.html?eid=1302

Just to let you know, they WILL have loaner garb there and you will be required to wear something that looks fairly medieval from your own closet or asked to wear loaner garb to cover up your "mundane" clothing.

Feel free to ask any other questions you might have, and I'd love to see you there. If you do show up, make sure you seek me out.

Yours in Service to the Dream,

Lord Haraldr Orn

East Kingdom Central Region Siege Commander

MSf, any chance for a viedo to be on youtube or anything of the battle?

Not likely, rictus. I have already made arrangements for several people to bring cameras that day, including at least one digital camera. I don't know that anyone in the group has a digital VIDEO camera, though. If someone does, and decides to use it, I'll look at what the appropriate format for dispensing the video is. Probably through ES to those who want to see it. The still photos will be available online at some point.

Additionally, we're talking about a 5-6 hour double elimination tournament (not battle) featuring about 60 fighters; of which I will probably only be participating in two bouts (maybe 5-6 minutes) unless I am having a really good day.

To give you an idea of the high end of what this sort of tournament is supposed to look like, I did a little searching at youtube and came up with this.....

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=search_videos&search_sort=relevance&search_query=sca+crown

Hope you enjoy.

I was watching this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aVbooNLFiM

You can see how each competitor becomes more and more "crippled".

Is this what you will be doing?

Yes, that is the exact style of fighting I do. That video is from the Crown Tournament in AUSTRALIA this past spring. A blow of sufficient force to the leg disables the leg (meaning the fighter must to to his/her knees). A blow of sufficient force to the arm, disables the arm. In that video you see both types of blow and the result of each.

You also see the chivalry involved in several places.... the first being when the still standing fighter backs off and allows his legged opponent to turn away from the sun, and give the legged fighter more space to maneuver. The second being when the second legged fighter stops to allow his opponent to re-equip himself after losing his dominant arm.

THAT'S what the tournament is really all about.

Yes, that is the exact style of fighting I do. That video is from the Crown Tournament in AUSTRALIA this past spring. A blow of sufficient force to the leg disables the leg (meaning the fighter must to to his/her knees). A blow of sufficient force to the arm, disables the arm. In that video you see both types of blow and the result of each.

You also see the chivalry involved in several places.... the first being when the still standing fighter backs off and allows his legged opponent to turn away from the sun, and give the legged fighter more space to maneuver. The second being when the second legged fighter stops to allow his opponent to re-equip himself after losing his dominant arm.

THAT'S what the tournament is really all about.

While I can see how you can get hurt doing this, it didn't seem like they were out to hurt each other.

While I can see how you can get hurt doing this, it didn't seem like they were out to hurt each other.

You might be surprised to find that our safety record is as good as, if not better than every competitive contact sport played at the high school or college level in this country. We've done the research.

The reason for this has several parts:

1. Our weapon and armor standards are geared towards safety first. We have a society minimum for armor/weapons and anything new has to go through a rigorous testing process before it will ever be allowed on the field. No kingdom may have any armor/weapon standard less than the society minimum. Every fighter's weapons and armor are inspected prior to every event to ensure they meet the guidelines. The King of the East Kingdom gets no more leeway with his armor than the newbie fighting at her first event ever.

2. Our Conventions of Combat (combat rules), Marshal's Handbook, and the training/authorization process every new fighter must go through to be on the field are extensive. A new fighter must be trained by their local fighters in the rules and physical actions of fighting safely and competently before the new fighter ever has any chance of being on the field. Once a fighter believes they've reached a level of competence in their chosen weapon form, they present themselves to 2 Marshals (at least one of which must be from a group other than their own). Those Marshals enlist the aid of a second fighter utilizing the same weapons form. The two combatants engage in several bouts of differing lengths and with differing purposes. Once the bouts are over, the Marshals and the assisting fighter all converse and determine whether they believe the new fighter is competent and safe enough to be authorized. A fighter does not have to be GOOD with a form, only competent and safe to be authorized. A separate authorization is required for each form (Weapon & Shield, Dual Weapons, Pole Arm, Greatsword, Spear, Combat Archery, Siege). Every fighter goes through this process and it builds a level of trust that everyone else out there on the field is competent enough to be there.

3. HONOR. Our fighting isn't about brute strength or speed. It's about HONOR. It's about accepting a good blow because you know your opponent would do the same. It's a brotherhood in a way. We may beat on each other all day, but we laugh, cry, sing, dance, eat, and drink with each other all night. We all accept a certain level of risk when we fight, but we can do that because we have faith that the other fighters our there will be as honorable as we are. Occassionally things go wrong, but we deal with that, and it's the exception rather than the rule.

I could go on for hours with examples of the statements I've made above. I'll leave you with this one, and you can ask for more if you want afterwards....

Pennsic War XXXIII (2004). During the Field Battle (imagine Braveheart), in the midst of approximately 1500 fighters, did two great masses of fighters come together in the middle of the field. Among the Blue Tyger's forces on that day was Lord Marcus, now Sir Marcus, who resides in the Barony of Setmore Swamp in the East Kingdom. As the masses of fighters met, a fighter of the Red Dragon's horde did suffer an armor failure of catastrophic proportions. A blow from the polearm of an Eastern fighter did explode the rivet holding this poor man's chinstrap in place, and causing his helm to be removed from his head in the midst of this mass of death and destruction. The Midrealm fighter did fall to the ground, having been deprived of his senses by the odd direction of the blow and the fact that his helm didn't absorb the normal amount of damage as it normally would. Lord Marcus did see this most distressing occurance and fought through HIS OWN SHIELDBROTHERS to throw himself and his shield over his helpless enemy on the ground in order to protect him from the fighting going on around him. Only once he was sure that the fighter was safe, did Lord Marcus scream for a HOLD (stoppage) to get the fighter out of danger. Marcus had put himself in harms way to protect a man that only seconds earlier he would have stuck had he been in Marcus' way. The act of Honor and Chivalry did not go unnoticed, and that fall did His Majesty Kelson and Her Majesty Genvieve induct Marcus into the Order of the Blue Tyger (One of the East Kingdom's highest awards) for his actions upon the field that day.

I went idiot, but I'd like to clarify. It's a very nice gesture to give the unatractive girl a chance to feel some self-worth and maybe even some pride if you go out there and win a couple bouts or go deep into the tournament. That's an honorable sacrafice that may have a big impact on this girl's confidence and self image. However, I can't get the Cable Guy scenes out of my head, so I had to go idiot. Maybe I don't fully understand the "sport" or competition, but all the scenes that keep coming into my head from Cable Guy forced me to push the idiot button. Nothing personal, I've done some things in my life that are probably far more idiotic, but hey, whatever floats your boat, right?

I went idiot, but I'd like to clarify. It's a very nice gesture to give the unatractive girl a chance to feel some self-worth and maybe even some pride if you go out there and win a couple bouts or go deep into the tournament. That's an honorable sacrafice that may have a big impact on this girl's confidence and self image.

Thanks. That's kind of where I'm coming from

However, I can't get the Cable Guy scenes out of my head, so I had to go idiot. Maybe I don't fully understand the "sport" or competition, but all the scenes that keep coming into my head from Cable Guy forced me to push the idiot button. Nothing personal, I've done some things in my life that are probably far more idiotic, but hey, whatever floats your boat, right?

Have you checked out any of the pictures or video clips that have been posted in this thread? The whole "Cable Guy" thing is something that members of the SCA and Ren Faires have to deal with all the time. What you saw in the movie could never happen in real life. If for no other reason than the theatrical groups that run things like Medieval Times restaurant do not EVER allow spectators to be involved in the actual activities. There's a massive liability issue, and the real actors have hours of rehearsal time under their belts. What we do is VERY different, as I've discussed throughout the thread.

Thanks for commenting though. It's interesting to see people's perspectives on things like this.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, there's new information and it isn't very good....

On Wednesday evening, I fell off a horse during my weekly riding lesson. I was working at the canter and lost control of the horse. She appeared to be set to run through a fence so I bailed out. She turned at the last moment and added the momentum of her rear end to my "dismount". I landed on my right forearm, driving my right elbow into my ribs, and hitting both my right hip and knee (which is bad to begin with) as well. I spent about 3 hours in the ER on Wednesday night. The wrist is severely sprained and the rib MAY be cracked. If not it's seriously bruised. I saw the nurse at work on Friday and went back to have the wrist re-Xrayed this morning. They're still saying nothing is broken, just severely sprained.

Unfortunately this means that I am under doctor's orders to not even LOOK at a set of armor for a minimum of 4-6 weeks. That would mean essentially getting back into armor less than 3 weeks before what is probably the single most vicious and brutal tournament in the East Kingdom.

I sat down this afternoon and talked to Brigit and the rest of the entourage. We have OFFICIALLY decided to postpone until Spring Crown Tournament in April/May of 2007. I told Brigit that if she really wanted to, I WOULD fight in THIS crown if she didn't want to wait, but that I'd be pretty much impotent from so much time out or armor. The entire group, including Brigit decided that waiting until Spring Crown would be a better idea and they're all pumped up about the things that another 6 months of preparation time means we can do.

I won't update this thread again. I might start another one as we get much closer to Spring Crown, but I think this one has gone on far enough.

Thank you all for your support in this endeavour. If any of you want periodic updates privately, let me know.

-MSF/Haraldr

Thanks. That's kind of where I'm coming from

Have you checked out any of the pictures or video clips that have been posted in this thread? The whole "Cable Guy" thing is something that members of the SCA and Ren Faires have to deal with all the time. What you saw in the movie could never happen in real life. If for no other reason than the theatrical groups that run things like Medieval Times restaurant do not EVER allow spectators to be involved in the actual activities. There's a massive liability issue, and the real actors have hours of rehearsal time under their belts. What we do is VERY different, as I've discussed throughout the thread.

Thanks for commenting though. It's interesting to see people's perspectives on things like this.

yeah, but the cable guy image is more entertaining :silly:

On Wednesday evening, I fell off a horse during my weekly riding lesson. I was working at the canter and lost control of the horse. She appeared to be set to run through a fence so I bailed out. She turned at the last moment and added the momentum of her rear end to my "dismount".

Man. Sorry to hear that, Mass. That's pretty much why I'll never get on a horse - I refuse to put my life in the "hands" of an animal that's even dumber than I am. Of course, that doesn't really explain why I'm willing to get into a taxicab, but that's an argument for another day. :)

Anyway, as I've been saying for years as a Skins fan, "Just wait 'til next year." Get well, and kick some butt. :cheers:

sorry to hear about it MSF. The extra time of training will be good though. Just do whatever you can training wise in the meantime. Honestly, I would consult a sports doctor as well. A regular Dr will generally say no activity, whereas a sports Dr will try and get you back going quicker.

Sorry to hear about your accident! Waiting is the safest option right now. I hope you feel better. :)

Thanks Candace. The wrist is quite a bit better at this point. I can actually use the mouse with that hand and do some limited typing with it this morning. I'm sure it'll be sore as a ***** this evening and I have the brace with me so I can put it back on when it starts hurting again. It's still really the ribs that are the most painful problem.

I know waiting is the intelligent option but it still makes me feel like a jerk. Brigit was actually all ready. Her new dress is done. The favor she was making for me is done. Essentially she's ready to do this and here I go and have to put it off for 6 months because I bailed on a horse I should have had control of.

Man. Sorry to hear that, Mass. That's pretty much why I'll never get on a horse - I refuse to put my life in the "hands" of an animal that's even dumber than I am. Of course, that doesn't really explain why I'm willing to get into a taxicab, but that's an argument for another day. :)

Anyway, as I've been saying for years as a Skins fan, "Just wait 'til next year." Get well, and kick some butt. :cheers:

Thanks, Chief.

I love riding. That's why I own a horse and work on my riding on a weekly basis. I have to say that the largest amount of blame for the accident is MINE, not the horse's. I'll tell you this... when you're on the back of a horse and everything is going right it's like flying. There isn't another feeling like it that I'VE ever found.

As for getting well and kicking some butt... that's the plan. Let's hope that another six months doesn't lead to any other problems.

sorry to hear about it MSF. The extra time of training will be good though. Just do whatever you can training wise in the meantime. Honestly, I would consult a sports doctor as well. A regular Dr will generally say no activity, whereas a sports Dr will try and get you back going quicker.

Thanks. Hopefully the extra time WILL be good. I'm really pretty much out of commission until the injuries heal. We're talking both the wrist and ribs on the sword side. That means I can barely hold a sword at the moment and any on-side shot requires use of the muscles over that banged-up rib to throw.

I'm hoping to talk to my mother's co-workers (she works for a OT/PT office) about what I should be doing to rebab the injury. I'm not sure if I'll actually go to a sports doctor or not. That's a lot of time and trouble for not a whole lot of return. Unless the doctor tells me I need to see an orthopedist about the wrist.

Archived