Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rivals Projects Our Draft Pick...

Leon Phelps

That pick makes no sense, even though I do like Pope. We already have a couple solid TE's on the roster and Cooley will probably play more at TE this season because of Saunders' offense, which didn't have an HB in KC. I think we go LB with the pick or maybe to get some DB depth.

Ok, let me get far fetched for a minute. The ONLY way that would make sense is if we were not to offer Cooley another contract. Isnt he still playing under his rookie contract? Im not saying it could happen, but Ive been skeptical about our team home growing and resigning home grown players(See Ryan Clark and Antonio Pierce). If I am correct (and its possable that I am not) Both Cooley and Taylor are still in Rookie contracts. IM wondering (hoping we do) if we will have enough money to sign both of those players to large contracts. But again, this hypothesis is a long shot and a stretch for even me to believe, I just bought a Cooley jersey from Redskins store today infact, but sitting here at work, trying to justify the front office making a move like that, this is the only explanation I could come up with. Lets hope the draft prediction is wrong, and lets home Im way off base.

Leonard Pope is 6-6 or 6-7. He's tall, lengthy, and athletic. Great recieving tight end with good speed. Is a poor blocker and some question his durablity.

Don't see us taking him as I would be suprised if he is still there by the 53 pick in the draft.

but Ive been skeptical about our team home growing and resigning home grown players(See Ryan Clark and Antonio Pierce). If I am correct (and its possable that I am not) Both Cooley and Taylor are still in Rookie contracts. IM wondering (hoping we do) if we will have enough money to sign both of those players to large contracts.

It all depends on whether they will sign reasonable contracts or not. Pierce and Smoot were offered fair contracts. Bailey was offered more than fair value. Lavar got paid big, big dollars already. If Cooley and Taylor are willing to sign fair contracts they will be around quite some time. Clark and Royal were both limited players and are gone.

There is a salary structure in place right now that pretty much everybody who has been signed since Joe Gibbs came back has fit into. We pay good players good money but everybody needs to fit in that structure.

It all depends on whether they will sign reasonable contracts or not. Pierce and Smoot were offered fair contracts. Bailey was offered more than fair value. Lavar got paid big, big dollars already. If Cooley and Taylor are willing to sign fair contracts they will be around quite some time. Clark and Royal were both limited players and are gone.

There is a salary structure in place right now that pretty much everybody who has been signed since Joe Gibbs came back has fit into. We pay good players good money but everybody needs to fit in that structure.

You make a good point, and Im not sour over Clarks dismissal, especially b/c we got Archuleta. Im just hoping we can keep both of them. I think ST will cost us more to keep, but Im wondering if Cooley isnt gonna go lookin for a pay day like Pierce and then we wont be able to keep him.

I don't know if we need him, but I wouldn't say we are "Set at the position with fauria." The guy is gonna be playing for us maybe 2 years, and eventually we'll need someone at that spot. It wouldn't be farfetched to draft a TE now so he is ready to play down the road. That being said, given our needs at LB, I don't see this happening. But, I don't think it's totally out of the question.

Leonard Pope will be an outstanding player but I guarantee it won't happen for a number of reasons, as the pick makes no sense for the Redskins. Its another case of an outsider not knowing the makeup of the Redskins team like most of the followers at this website.

First of all because of the signing bonuses the Skins will pay to Randel El, Moss and Lloyd, the Skins will be using more 3 WR-sets than last year, in order to get these three players on the field. What this means is that in order for Cooley to be on the field at the same time -- he will have to play TE more this year -- because the H-back position is being replaced by the 3rd WR in the formation. Either that or Portis will have to come out.

Cooley signed a 4 year contract, so he will be around at least 2 more years. Therefore drafting still ANOTHER TE, would only mean even less playing time for Cooley and Pope would also be under-utilized. Fauria is mainly a blocking TE who will be used in two TE-formations for running; inside the 10 yard line; and/or on short-yardage situations, like 3rd-and-one.

So drafting still another TE makes no sense whatsoever, plus I doubt Pope will even be around for the 53rd pick. :D

Rivals projects our second round pick to be. Leonard Pope; big TE out of Georgia. In what scenario will this make sense with the signing of Fauria in the offseason leaving us pretty much set at that position?

i could see this happening if Saunders is looking for a Tony Gonzalez type of tight end.

Rivals projects our second round pick to be. Leonard Pope; big TE out of Georgia. In what scenario will this make sense with the signing of Fauria in the offseason leaving us pretty much set at that position?

Can not see that. I think we go best player available with a leaning towards a LB (the only starting spot unsettles on the team) and OLine depth.

Sweet! He is my first choice as well. Saunders would droll over using this guy, especially in the redzone in running situations. Cooley is not a TE folks; he is an HB in our system! Learn that please.

Your right Cooley does play H-back - however in goaline he is usually lined up tight. Sellers scored all his TD's last year lined up as full back in a power I formation.

I would be very surprised if we went TE with our 2nd round pick. OLB or O Line for me unless someone unexpected falls to our spot.

HTTR

Martin

Guest mwill008

I think alot of how our draft will go hinge on who falls in the draft. For example, a lot draft experts think Rocky McIntosh will be there at #53. What if Vernon Davis fell for whatever reason to #53 you would have to take the best players on the board. There will still be alot of goo LBs, DBs, and OLs in the 5th and 6th round.

Archived