Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Clinton Portis Pro-Bowl snub Comparisons *added QB's*

RedskinsSuperBowl21

Yes. CP had more TDs. Ok? The point?

It's funny how TDs is the biggest reason that Art Monk is kept out of the HOF but it isn't important in the Pro Bowl. Not a shot at you Who Del. I understand that wasn't the point you were making. Just an observation.

Dunn carried his team to jack squat. The team didn't even get in the endzone in 3 out of the last 5 games.

Portis carried his team to the playoffs. In addition, he had better stats in almost every category.

If Portis only ran on 1st and 2nd down, got a breather on 3rd and short and goalline, I'm sure he would have made up the difference in YPC but also had a couple fewer TD's.

Basically, Dunn and Duckett together are about equal to Portis, neither alone is as good at the overall position of RB which makes Portis the obvious choice.

Portis averaged 5.5 ypc for 2 seasons in Denver doing what Dunn did last year, we already know he can be a good 2 down back. Last year he proved he can be a great everydown back.

Portis did not get snubbed...the voting ended before he really got it going. He turned it up to '11' in the final 5 games of the season, but by then the fan voting was closed (Dec 16th). It was just bad timing, plain and simple - I'm sure Portis and Dunn were neck and neck in the coaches and players voting, the fan vote probably tipped the scale. Portis was behind Dunn all season in yards, and only caught up to him in that final stretch. Two of the greatest runs of the year by Portis were in the Giants game and Eagles game...after the voting was closed.

Well that doesn't mean he didn't get snubbed. It just shows that the voting shouldn't be done all season long and end after Week 13-14.

It should start after the final game of the year and end before the playoffs start. 1 Week for everyone to vote and voting should be done by registration, not just letting anybody vote 5000 times if they are bored.

Who the heck cares. Ulltimately the Pro-bowl is detrimental to teams that send lots of players to it. Lots of escalator clauses get activated; playes get injured; ask for new contracts etc etc. The players I always vote for are those FAs that left the Skins - (if Pierce had made the pro-bowl the SKins would have a 4th or 5th comp instead of a 7th -plus he'd have received a huge bonus - hit to Giants cap).

Well that doesn't mean he didn't get snubbed. It just shows that the voting shouldn't be done all season long and end after Week 13-14.

It should start after the final game of the year and end before the playoffs start. 1 Week for everyone to vote and voting should be done by registration, not just letting anybody vote 5000 times if they are bored.

I agree...the whole system is pretty flawed the way it is now.

Who the heck cares. Ulltimately the Pro-bowl is detrimental to teams that send lots of players to it. Lots of escalator clauses get activated; playes get injured; ask for new contracts etc etc. The players I always vote for are those FAs that left the Skins - (if Pierce had made the pro-bowl the SKins would have a 4th or 5th comp instead of a 7th -plus he'd have received a huge bonus - hit to Giants cap).

I like this plan...

Pro Bowl nominations are tough, there's never enough room and someone always gets snubbed. Look at the AFC's TEs. How's a new guy cracking into that mess......

2 spots to go around and they already have Gonzo, Heap and Gates. If anyone else steps up there will likely be 2 guys that had deserving years miss out.

Well someone asked for some splits so here they are...

Clinton Portis:

Inside the opponent's 10 yard line: 28 carries, 51 yards, 1.8 ypc, 7 TD

On 1st Down: 217 carries, 957 yards, 4.4 ypc, 8 TD

Ladell Betts:

Inside the opponent's 10 yard line: 3 carries, 1 TD

Mark Brunell didn't make any contribution to the running game inside the 10 yard line

Warrick Dunn:

Inside the 10 yard line: 16 att, 27 yards, 1.7 ypc, 1 TD

On 1st Down: 149 att, 756 yards, 5.1 ypc, 3 TD

T.J. Duckett:

Inside the 10 yard line: 15 att, 17 yards, 7 TD

Michael Vick:

Inside the 10 yard line: 7 att, 5 TD

So if you add all the up...

Portis had 7 of the Redskins 9 TDs inside the 10

Dunn had 1 of the Falcons 13 TDs inside the 10

It just seems to me Dunn excelled more at what he was asked to do than Portis excelled at what he was asked to do...

In the end it really could've gone either way and only the true homers will deny that Dunn deserved to be there...

I really love CP but his stats don't look better than those guys especially Barber and Alexander.

here's the problem with stats....they don't show the intangables.

I will agrue with any one that, of the four in the list at the start of the page, CP is the best blocker and the tuffest runner....The guy played with an injured shoulder the last part of the year....you didn't see Sissy boy alexander do anything like that.....anybody who understands the game would take CP over Dunn or Alexander...its just sad that the PRO bowl selection people only know stats.

....oh and CP is the better rapper of all four too....HE GOES HARD!;)

It just seems to me Dunn excelled more at what he was asked to do than Portis excelled at what he was asked to do...

Your stats are flawed.

Sellers had 6 rec TDs from inside the 10 yd line.

Betts, Sellers, & Rock all had 1 rush TD from inside the 10 yd line.

Cooley had 3 rec TDs from inside the 10 yd line.

Royal had 1 rec TD from inside the 10 yd line.

Moss had 1 rec TD from inside the 10 yd line.

That's 14 TDs from inside the 10 yd line. Most of which were from inside the 4 yd line.

So CP wasn't asked to run inside the 10 yd line that much either, yet he scored many more TDs than Dunn.

Well someone asked for some splits so here they are...

Clinton Portis:

Inside the opponent's 10 yard line: 28 carries, 51 yards, 1.8 ypc, 7 TD

On 1st Down: 217 carries, 957 yards, 4.4 ypc, 8 TD

Ladell Betts:

Inside the opponent's 10 yard line: 3 carries, 1 TD

Mark Brunell didn't make any contribution to the running game inside the 10 yard line

Warrick Dunn:

Inside the 10 yard line: 16 att, 27 yards, 1.7 ypc, 1 TD

On 1st Down: 149 att, 756 yards, 5.1 ypc, 3 TD

T.J. Duckett:

Inside the 10 yard line: 15 att, 17 yards, 7 TD

Michael Vick:

Inside the 10 yard line: 7 att, 5 TD

So if you add all the up...

In the end it really could've gone either way and only the true homers will deny that Dunn deserved to be there...

What running backs are ultimately asked to do, is do well in all the things mentioned, on first, second, third down, in the red zone, in your own 20. Excelling at just part of it shouldn't get you in.

The one thing missing in your breakdown is that you have made no allowance for Mike Sellers. In obvious run situations Joe Gibbs chose to use Mike Sellers as a pass receiving threat in Goal line situations, it was a successful tactic that helped the team win but also took Td's away from Portis in the natural scheme of things. Portis was in on those plays, he was the man that kept the opposition honest.

Dunn in the Red Zone was not nearly as effective as Portis and Duckett took his place. The fact is Dunn was not asked to do nearly as much as Portis and essentially that made him a role player. Portis was asked to do it all in effectively three out of every four series. Fact is Portis carried us to the playoffs in so many ways as a leader and most importantly as a runner and last year he was excellent.

The point of those inside the 10 stats was to show that Portis was the Redskins short yardage back. He basically got all of the Redskins opportunties to score from point blank range when they chose to run. Meanwhile, Dunn was never asked to do that. If you look at their ypc inside the 10 it's basically the same so Dunn could very well have as many TDs as Portis but wasn't given the opportunity. Dunn put the Falcons in a position to score and Duckett was the one that capitalized by scoring the TDs. You wanna penalize Dunn for not putting it in the end zone more because that's basically the only place where Portis is clearly superior...

In the end only the homerest of homers is gonna say that Portis got snubbed. These guys were basically on an equal plane this year and thus neither can technically be snubbed because they other deserved it just as much...

Archived