Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Research Paper topic

Mr. S

Hey, I have 2 papers due next week, which I could use some help on. The first one only has to be 10 pages, about Japan. I kinda need a topic, and one of the broad ranges he gave was

"Controversey about dropping the atomic bomb". I would do that as it is easy to find sources, and being a graduating senior, I want something easy to do, but I think it's too American sided and not really focused on Japan. Does anyone have any suggestions to make this more related to Japan?

Also, I am doing a paper on the importance of beer in Colonial America, basically up to the American Revolution. I have a draft of this, and I have read some pretty common books on it. If anyone can help me here, that'd be great, but the first paper is more on my mind as I havent started it yet. Thanks!

Hey, I have 2 papers due next week, which I could use some help on. The first one only has to be 10 pages, about Japan. I kinda need a topic, and one of the broad ranges he gave was

"Controversey about dropping the atomic bomb". I would do that as it is easy to find sources, and being a graduating senior, I want something easy to do, but I think it's too American sided and not really focused on Japan. Does anyone have any suggestions to make this more related to Japan?

I read the book Hiroshima. I think by Feeley (?). That book is written from the perspective of about five main characters who were in the town of Hiroshima the day the bomb was dropped. VERY powerful and a quick read. You don't need to necessarily need ot read the book to get sources from it if you are short on time. Read a detailed online summary and skim through the book if you aren't all about putting in a ton of effort. But if you ever do get the chance, wow it's a powerful book.

I'm leaving for Japan on Tuesday, and there are a number of different topics you could chose. One of them would be the Americanization of Japanese pop culture, when it started happening and why they have a fascination with the country who nuked them twice (see you can still use a semblance of nuclear bombing in the report.) You can actually get a lot on information from Lost in Translation, as they nailed the pop culture scene really well. You can also talk about a little bit of cross culture from the Japanese TV shown in the US, things like The Iron Chef and MXC.

I'm leaving for Japan on Tuesday, and there are a number of different topics you could chose. One of them would be the Americanization of Japanese pop culture, when it started happening and why they have a fascination with the country who nuked them twice (see you can still use a semblance of nuclear bombing in the report.) You can actually get a lot on information from Lost in Translation, as they nailed the pop culture scene really well. You can also talk about a little bit of cross culture from the Japanese TV shown in the US, things like The Iron Chef and MXC.

hmm, this could definitely fall under the other topic I have of "US Military occupation of Japan", I can just stretch it to the social impact as well. The Japanese course is Modern Japan, but basically stretching from around the end of the Tokugawa Shogunate to after WWII and a little on Japans modern role.

If you like the Atomic Bomb topic but want a more Japanese focus, how about a paper on the long term effects of the radiation? If I'm not mistaken, the people of Hiroshima and Nagasaki are still experiencing birth defects which many associate with the nuclear detonations.

going with the atomic bomb theme, you could write about how it inspired japanese pacificism ... and how that pacifism is weakening under Prime Minister Koizumi in reaction to the recent rise of China.

If you like the Atomic Bomb topic but want a more Japanese focus, how about a paper on the long term effects of the radiation? If I'm not mistaken, the people of Hiroshima and Nagasaki are still experiencing birth defects which many associate with the nuclear detonations.

wow, I think you have definitely given me a good one here. Thanks! Im sure I can easily find info on this stuff as well, and I can still discuss the controversey on dropping.

DjTj, I can also prolly incorporate pacifism as well.

Thanks for the ideas everyone!

Also, I am doing a paper on the importance of beer in Colonial America, basically up to the American Revolution. I have a draft of this, and I have read some pretty common books on it. If anyone can help me here, that'd be great, but the first paper is more on my mind as I havent started it yet. Thanks!

If you want to get a balanced perspective on the bomb, you could do a lot worse than Richard Rhodes' book 'The Making of the Atomic Bomb'. The last few chapters deal with the aftermath including Japanese eyewitness accounts. I remember one about a fifth grade girl (because my daughter was in fifth grade when I read it), begging other survivors to cut off her burned limbs in the hope it would ease the pain.

As another post has mentioned, the afteraffects of the bomb significantly influenced Japanese post war pacifism.

Rhodes won the Pullitzer prize for it and in my view it's one of the best ten books ever. It's a great history book, brilliantly written.

integration of baseball in japan? infleuence of usa upon baseball in japan? how their brand is different. how it intervenes with their culuture? impact of ichiro and matsui here in the states

as much as I'm not a fan of baseball, I think this would be easy to write a 10 pager on. the interchange of american and japanese culture through sports and film/t.v. You could discuss various japanese birthed icons in the states and vice versa.

Archived