Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Top 8 NFC East - RB's ?

cowboyuptx

Top 8 NFC East Running Backs (as I see it)

1. Tiki Barber (NYG)

2. Clinton Portis (WAS)

significant drop-off

3. Brian Westbrook (PHI)

4. Julius Jones (DAL)

5. Marion Barber III (DAL)

6. Ryan Moats (PHI)

7. Ladell Betts (WAS)

8. Tyson Thompson (DAL)/ Rock Cartwright (WAS) (he's more of a FB though, right?)

It's close between Tiki and Portis but the obvious edge is with Barber.

I think it's also close between Westbrook and Jones. I wonder what Westbrook would do if he had to function as a typical RB and carry the ball 25 times a game. However, Jones has not compiled near as many total yards and has been hurt in each of his first 2 seasons: Advantage Westbrook.

5-8 are the backups. I obviously prefer youth in a backup.

I went with M.Barber III as the best backup, he's got NFL pedigree and I think he may end up starting for Dallas in '06, if not '07.

Ryan Moats, has homerun potential, he'll soon be the Eagles starter. Betts is solid, but he doesn't have near the upside of the 2 rookies.

The Giants dont have ANYBODY worth a crap behind Tiki.

:2cents:

I agree. Tiki is getting older though and I'm wondering how many years he'll be around. The Giants prob. need to start thinking about his replacement and draft a young RB or bring one into the system so he can learn off of Tiki. Kind of like what the Rams did with Faulk/Jackson or the Chiefs did with Holmes/Johnson.

i think the edge goes to portis because he's never had less than 1300 yards in his career, and because he's younger. I think if a defender has one of the two in the open field, then they'd rather be tackling tiki.

There is no doubt in my mind that portis is more talented, and after this year there will be no debate as to which of the two is better. Also, betts is better then moats, and could be better than barber.

1. Portis

2. Barber

3. Westbrook

4. J. Jones

5. Betts

6. Barber III

7. Moats

8. Cartwright

Let it be know that I would rather have rock than moats but his youth gives him more upside. Portis/Barber are equal in my eyes, but I am a homer and I love Clintons physical approach and ability to pick up the block.

1. Portis

2. Barber

3. Westbrook

4. J. Jones

5. Betts

6. Barber III

7. Moats

8. Cartwright

Let it be know that I would rather have rock than moats but his youth gives him more upside. Portis/Barber are equal in my eyes, but I am a homer and I love Clintons physical approach and ability to pick up the block.

id probly switch J.Jones and westbrook

Tiki this past seasons proved he is the best back in the NFC East. Portis isnt far behind though, but soon enough everyone will know of Portis as the back to stop.

I would also rank Marion Barber III higher than Julius Jones. Betts is definitely a sold #2, and if not for Westbrook's catching ability, I would say Betts is a better back.

Tiki this past seasons proved he is the best back in the NFC East. Portis isnt far behind though, but soon enough everyone will know of Portis as the back to stop.

I would also rank Marion Barber III higher than Julius Jones. Betts is definitely a sold #2, and if not for Westbrook's catching ability, I would say Betts is a better back.

just ask yourself: who would i rather have carrying the ball on my team? I would say Portis. I know Sean Taylor would say Portis. Wouldnt you?

id probly switch J.Jones and westbrook

I realize Westbrook is more effective as a receiver, but my judgement here reflects my "scare" meter. By this I mean, of these players, who am I most afraid of getting the ball, in any capacity. For me, westbrook in the backfield is a much scarier proposition than Jones, who is much more one-dimensional. As well, Westbrook always seems to squirm through holes.

This is the one list of yours I agree with. :)

Though I might put Marion Barber ahead of Jones. He looks like he's got a lot more potential to me. But he's your guy so I wont argue.

And I might put Betts ahead of Moats, but that far down the list it doesn't really matter.

I agree with your list in its entirety.

While I am glad we have CP, Tiki had a better year last year. This year I expect that to change.

If Julius Jones could stay healthy I think he could become a special back, I just don't see that happening.

I have never thought of Betts as one of the better #2 backs in the NFC east and i think his position is appropriate.

After last season...I gotta agree with this list. Tiki had one hell of a year, I can't argue with that. I'd rather have Portis back there though, he's a better blocker and more physical and seems to be on the rise, while I don't think Tiki will have another year like last year. Although he is elusive, I don't see Tiki finish a lot of runs and grind out the tough yardage in the middle, he's one hell of a homerun threat though. JJ goes before MBIII because over the past few years he's shown flashes of being a great running back, but lacks consistancy and is always hurt. Westbrook, while also aging and on the decline, has had some great seasons in Philly and I believe his pass catching ability is a plus, not a minus, especially in Andy Reid's offense. I think he's a physical back, probably right behind Portis in that regard. Next season Portis will take the throne as not only the best RB in the NFC East, but the NFC, maybe the NFL. He's still a young player and his potential is unlimited.

For those who would rather have Portis please explain what he does better than Barber? If its blocking how do you know have you seen all the Giants and Redskins games to see who blocks who more. Tiki had the second most yards from scrimmage in NFL history. He was third in MVP voting Portis did not get a vote. He out rushed portis and LJ head to head. Now if you want to tell me he will decline then fine of course he will at some point in a couple of years. At this moment Tiki is a better rusher and pass catcher. If you are a homer just say you are a homer and you like portis more at least then I won't think there is something mentally wrong with you.

I agree with your list for the most part -- as far as WB vs. Jones, you've got to give the nod to WB, just because he's been around longer. But both are injury prone and capable of putting up monster numbers.

I think it's also close between Westbrook and Jones. I wonder what Westbrook would do if he had to function as a typical RB and carry the ball 25 times a game. However, Jones has not compiled near as many total yards and has been hurt in each of his first 2 seasons: Advantage Westbrook.

WB wouldn't last 8 games in that type of role!! :laugh:

For those who would rather have Portis please explain what he does better than Barber? If its blocking how do you know have you seen all the Giants and Redskins games to see who blocks who more. Tiki had the second most yards from scrimmage in NFL history. He was third in MVP voting Portis did not get a vote. He out rushed portis and LJ head to head. Now if you want to tell me he will decline then fine of course he will at some point in a couple of years. At this moment Tiki is a better rusher and pass catcher. If you are a homer just say you are a homer and you like portis more at least then I won't think there is something mentally wrong with you.

:logo: Lose the 'attitude', New Yorker! Damn!:doh:

:notworthy Tiki is a fantastic RB. Very 'underrated' by the 'so-called NFL Experts'. Tiki is a far-better receiver out of the backfield than Clinton - at this stage of their respective NFL careers. Could it be because the Giants utilize Tiki in more of 'traditional, old-school, pro-set backfield' sort of manner?!? Hmm...

:cheers: Clinton, howerver, is a far-more 'physical' RB than Tiki (read: more powerful runner & stronger blocker). Their speed is 'comparable'. Tiki is one of the most 'elusive' & 'smoothest' RB's of all-time. No doubt. So is Clinton. Look at the 'overhaul' of the Redskins' OL (and ENTIRE Team, for that matter) in the 2-years that Joe Gibbs has been here (seems like THAT would 'factor-in-there...somewhere, huh...)!?!

:helmet: Clinton has had to make 'major adjustments', in both running 'style' & running 'scheme(s), since coming out of the University of Miami (Broncos vs. Redskins 'schemes': Gibbs 'adjusted/tweaked' his 'scheme' twice in 2-years; plus, Saunders will 'adjust/tweak' the 'scheme' yet-again).

:2cents: Tiki has been fortunate in that Coughlin was 'wise-enough to see' that: "If it ain't 'broke', then don't 'fix' it"...as far as Tiki's 'style' & abundant ability ('continuity', my friend...'continuity'). Tiki's skill-level would enable him to be successful ANYWHERE, might I also point-out.

:applause: When the proverbial 'smoke' clears, however, I feel that Clinton will eclipse Tiki's 'stats' (the 'youth' & 'potential longevity' factors).

:point2sky With all that having been said, they're BOTH "Da' Bomb"!!! Don't YOU also think?!?

:silly: WHY IS IT that all of YOU Giants, Eagles, and Cowboys Fans (along with your Hoards of Media Redskins-Haters') feel compelled to 'TROLL' on OUR Fan Boards in order to 'spew' 'HATE"?!? Last I 'checked', THIS Fan Board is entitled: ExtremSKINS (as in Washington REDSKINS)...Go figure!?!

:logo: Lose the 'attitude', New Yorker! Damn!:doh:

:notworthy Tiki is a fantastic RB. Very 'underrated' by the 'so-called NFL Experts'. Tiki is a far-better receiver out of the backfield than Clinton - at this stage of their respective NFL careers. Could it be because the Giants utilize Tiki in more of 'traditional, old-school, pro-set backfield' sort of manner?!? Hmm...

:cheers: Clinton, howerver, is a far-more 'physical' RB than Tiki (read: more powerful runner & stronger blocker). Their speed is 'comparable'. Tiki is one of the most 'elusive' & 'smoothest' RB's of all-time. No doubt. So is Clinton. Look at the 'overhaul' of the Redskins' OL (and ENTIRE Team, for that matter) in the 2-years that Joe Gibbs has been here (seems like THAT would 'factor-in-there...somewhere, huh...)!?!

:helmet: Clinton has had to make 'major adjustments', in both running 'style' & running 'scheme(s), since coming out of the University of Miami (Broncos vs. Redskins 'schemes': Gibbs 'adjusted/tweaked' his 'scheme' twice in 2-years; plus, Saunders will 'adjust/tweak' the 'scheme' yet-again).

:2cents: Tiki has been fortunate in that Coughlin was 'wise-enough to see' that: "If it ain't 'broke', then don't 'fix' it"...as far as Tiki's 'style' & abundant ability ('continuity', my friend...'continuity'). Tiki's skill-level would enable him to be successful ANYWHERE, might I also point-out.

:applause: When the proverbial 'smoke' clears, however, I feel that Clinton will eclipse Tiki's 'stats' (the 'youth' & 'potential longevity' factors).

:point2sky With all that having been said, they're BOTH "Da' Bomb"!!! Don't YOU also think?!?

:silly: WHY IS IT that all of YOU Giants, Eagles, and Cowboys Fans (along with your Hoards of Media Redskins-Haters') feel compelled to 'TROLL' on OUR Fan Boards in order to 'spew' 'HATE"?!? Last I 'checked', THIS Fan Board is entitled: ExtremSKINS (as in Washington REDSKINS)...Go figure!?!

No one is spewing hate. I am just an unbiased fan of the Giants that likes to post with facts. I don't try to tell the future to see who will be good or not and I never make excuses for a player.

Top 8 NFC East Running Backs (as I see it)

1. Tiki Barber (NYG)

2. Clinton Portis (WAS)

significant drop-off

3. Brian Westbrook (PHI)

4. Julius Jones (DAL)

5. Marion Barber III (DAL)

6. Ryan Moats (PHI)

7. Ladell Betts (WAS)

8. Tyson Thompson (DAL)/ Rock Cartwright (WAS) (he's more of a FB though, right?)

:2cents:

I think it should look more like this:

1. Tiki Barber

2. Clinton Portis

3. Marion Barber 3

4. Brian Westbrook

5. Julius Jones

6. Ladell Betts

7. Ryan Moats

8. who cares?

I have Marion Barber so high because he isn't as injury prone as Julius and I don't think that Westbrook can carry the load like Marion Barber can.

:dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck

Archived