Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Worst Hangover EVER -- Waikiki man seriously ill after harbor plunge

jrockster21

So, before I post this story, a little bit of background. It has been raining in Hawaii for 42 days straight (stopped about 3 days ago). The city has known for 6 or 7 years that the sewage mains are cracked and weak, but never did anything about it. So, what happens? We get this biblical amount of rain, and the sewage main effing breaks (actually, this happened on Bonef1de's street...he's loving the 24-hour construction right below his window :laugh: ) and dumps 48 million gallons of raw sewage into the Ala-Wai Canal (link). Anyway, on to the story:

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2006/Apr/05/ln/FP604050358.html

Waikiki man 'gravely ill' after harbor plunge

By Loren Moreno

Advertiser Staff Writer

Friends of a local mortgage broker said he fell into the water at the Ala Wai Boat Harbor on Friday and now is in serious condition.

Oliver Johnson of Waikiki is hospitalized at The Queen's Medical Center with type A strep infection, friends close to him said yesterday. Johnson had his left leg amputated on Monday night and doctors have told friends and family members that it is necessary to amputate his other leg and possibly both arms, according to his friends.

"He's gravely ill," said retail consultant Stefany Sofos, one of Johnson's close friends. Another of Johnson's friends gave the same account but asked not to be identified.

The state Department of Health has not been notified about this incident, said department spokeswoman Janice Okubo. The city also has no information about the incident, said city spokesman Bill Brennan.

On Sunday Johnson complained to friends that his legs were swollen and he was in throbbing pain, Sofos said. She said he was taken to Queen's and that doctors said he was experiencing septic shock — an overwhelming infection that shuts down organs. He also had pneumonia and a type A strep infection, friends said.

"The doctors have identified that he has a flesh-eating bacteria in his system," said Sofos.

Early yesterday morning, Johnson went into cardiac arrest and is on life support, said Sofos. Doctors had requested to amputate a second leg and both arms, she said. But Johnson's mother, who recently arrived from Florida, asked doctors not to perform any other amputation, said Sofos.

Johnson's friends are urging people to stay out of contaminated waters.

click link for full article.

:yikes: flesh-eating bacteria?? :puke: I feel bad for the guy, but at the same time, you get bombed and wander near the water, you're probably going to fall in. That being said, there normally isn't 48 million gallons of raw-sewage in the water. Anyway, poor **** is going to be a torso. I'd just tell them to kill me, eff being a torso.

It's insane that the bacteria that is killing him is coming from the canal thats next to my building. But nature will purify the water and if anybody is planning on coming to Hawaii it is going to be one GREEN summer.

Yeah for real...thankfully I live upstream from the sewage leak. Not that I was planning on swimming in that foul death stream any time soon! :laugh: I can't believe there are so many people that kayak in that mofo...imagine falling out of the boat?? :puke:

For those that don't know, this canal makes the Potomac look like bottled water.

That canal was always nasty anyway, I can't imagine what it's like with all that sewage. I remember watching people row in that thing and thinking....ewwww......

Yeah, no ****. I'm always seeing people in there and wondering if a tetnis shot comes with the boat rental! :laugh:

He's a goner. Died last night

Sheesh...I think that's much better than being a friggin' torso the rest of his life! Man, what a bad break. It said it will be really hard to connect the bacteria to the raw-sewage, but I think his family will be able to get some money out of the city. I mean...they've known about the cracked pipes for a long time, and didn't do anything about them.

Sheesh...I think that's much better than being a friggin' torso the rest of his life! Man, what a bad break. It said it will be really hard to connect the bacteria to the raw-sewage, but I think his family will be able to get some money out of the city. I mean...they've known about the cracked pipes for a long time, and didn't do anything about them.

Crack pipes? I thought he was drunk. :whoknows:

Sorry. ;)

UPDATE....

He has died. Now there is a murder investigation, as he was assaulted and pushed into the water.

EPA now says this is the worst sewage spill in the Nations history.

Cover-ups are now being leaked also. From just gross, too totally disturbing.

UPDATE....

He has died. Now there is a murder investigation, as he was assaulted and pushed into the water.

WOW!

Murder investigation?

Cover-up?

This is getting interesting. :evil:

UPDATE....

You wanna hear something else pretty crazy? I just signed the lease on a new apartment, and guess which apartment building this guy lived in? :laugh:

The murder investigation thing seems fishy, as he was talking with his friends and family before he died. Seems like he would have told them more info...unless he was just THAT drunk. Anyway, I guess they're saying he got mugged and then tossed in the water...:puke:

As far as the sewage spill is concerned...Its really sad. They took the signs down on Waikiki beach, but I also heard another woman got sick!! :doh:

Archived