Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My draft theory - Skins will trade up

Chrisbob74

If they think trading the 1st in 07 is the right thing to do, especially if they get the player they really want, I'm happy for them to do it. I just figure given the Skins history of trading away future picks combined with a very deep draft class at positions the Skins have interest in, it makes a lot of sense.

I dont see the Skins TRADING UP this year. That would mean giving up two high draft picks for only one player. That was acceptable last year in order to get a franchise quarterback, but is not acceptable unless you are sure of getting an all-pro.

But there is a possibility of trading a lower (07) pick for another pick this year. If they do this I think they will use pick #53 on a LB first. And then there is a possibility they might trade a 2nd round pick (07) for a 3rd this year, or trade a 3rd round pick (07) for a 4th round pick this year. This way they could pick up an extra quality player in the 3rd or 4th rounds. But I doubt they will trade away the 1st round pick in 07. It was mainly Bobby Beathard who frequently traded way the following years #1 picks.

Besides if they did trade away next year's #1 pick, who would they draft? You have to figure this player would have to be a starter real quick, and I can't see where we need another starter plugged in anywhere, unless possibly another pass-rusher at DE or DT? :whoknows:

ChrisBob ... you are absolutely correct ... Skins will take your option No. 1 and grab Lendale White who is falling like a rock out of the top 10. Skins will then have a powerhouse featuring White and Portis in a new backfield called the "thundering herd." The Skins will run over everyone in the NFC in a typical Coach Gibbs attack ... run, run, run ,,, playaction pass downfield to redzone ... then pound it into endzone. White will score a minimum of 20 tds for the Skins next year.
Skinmen and women- it is now official. Lavar Arrington is now a Giant! it will nice to see him along with Antonio Pierce's facial expression when we are leading the division this year.:eaglesuck :gaintsuck

Give me an explaination as why the Skins would even consider Lendale White. First of all, we already have a complimentary back-up in Ladell Betts and the versatile Rock Cartwright. :doh:

I feel very comfortable with our 2d rd pick. We did fine with Holdman there for Lavar, and they obviously like Clemons, b/c we just resigned him. I think Clemons has more potential than Holdman and they are grooming him to be the stopgap until after June 1st, if we have a better option then on a veteran linebacker they will do that, but Im fine with Clemons there, and we must like him too, cause we sent LA packing and resigned Clemons... Can we not put faith into our coaching gurus? They know what they are doing.

Ah...No and HELL NO!!

Haven't we shorted ourselves enough in this draft? Why short ourselves even further this year and next? :doh: Listen we are solid. We need roleplayers and a void filled at LB with someone who is average and has the ability to learn. Even if we thought about getting a 1st round draft pick exactly where would the money come from? Are we willing to sign only one 1st rounder and loose out on potential in the later rounds? I don't think we need anyone badly enough to start trading away future picks. I sure don't see what the coaching staff sees but I think we are very solid right now and don't need to go nuts. Face it. The offseason was nice. The Skins made the news the first few days of FA, but don't look for them to make headlines in this years draft. :2cents:

The only way we trade up is in the second day.

Now, it is always a possibility that I pick from next year could be traded for a pick this year if there is a player we like, but I seriously doubt we will have a 1st rounder this year. Why would we want it anyways? The talent level probably won't be much different, and we would have to pay the guy more.

Jason

Now that the Skins have addressed a number of needs this off-season it's my opinion that the only major need (there are other needs, especially OL depth) now is outide linebacker.

With that in mind and the strength of this draft for OLB's, I feel the Skins will take one of the following options on draft day:

1) Package 2nd round pick (#53) and 1st round pick in 2007 to trade into the lower end of the first round (say between picks 23-29).

2) Keep #53 but trade their 1st and maybe 4th or 5th in 2007 to gain a high 2nd round pick.

It'll depend of course on which of the OLB prospects they are targeting and who slips down to where they feel they can make a play for said player. I do believe if they do this or intend to do it that they will play it by ear on draft day unlike last year when the trade was made several days before the draft.

Anyone else think this is likely? Anyone not like the idea of trading another future 1st rounder?

If I could choose, I would have no objection to giving up the 1st rd pick in 2007 for a high 2nd round pick if a good OLB prospect is there and then keep #53 to get on of the better OL prospects left.

door number 2 !!! absolutely. just look at past history for precedent. the skins do that with fair regularity. sometimes it is a winner (russ grimm)... sometimes it is a big tim eloser (walter murray).. sometimes you just have to wait (campbell).

but the point is that the skins are willing to do so. my guess is that they trade next years number 1 for a mid second rounder, or later second rounder. that gives them 2 shots of landing an eventual starter with those picks.

the only way i see them trying to trade up into the first round is if a player they never dreamed would be there is sitting at the end of the first round.

they will then trade this year's 2 plus whatever it takes of next years picks to move up..

If they think trading the 1st in 07 is the right thing to do, especially if they get the player they really want, I'm happy for them to do it. I just figure given the Skins history of trading away future picks combined with a very deep draft class at positions the Skins have interest in, it makes a lot of sense.

yup... look at the past.. it is not that uncommon.. plus, there really are only going to be a few spots open onthe roster. better to get 2 really good players than 6 or 7 who don't even make the team..

go for it !!

ChrisBob ... you are absolutely correct ... Skins will take your option No. 1 and grab Lendale White who is falling like a rock out of the top 10. Skins will then have a powerhouse featuring White and Portis in a new backfield called the "thundering herd." The Skins will run over everyone in the NFC in a typical Coach Gibbs attack ... run, run, run ,,, playaction pass downfield to redzone ... then pound it into endzone. White will score a minimum of 20 tds for the Skins next year.

right idea... wrong player... we do not need an out of shape, lazy runner.

better to get an impact lineback for the defense to replace lavar.. this is the deepest pool of linebackers in a long time. we won't have to move up too much to get one from where we are..

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2370724#post2370724

The second round is, yet again, thick with quality players and as I mentioned in the above thread, I can see trading the future first rounder for another second this year to obtain some combination of LB, DL, CB, or TE.

I just don't think we'll spend that high a pick on a backup OL who may never see the field this year.

Not saying I'm for this move, but I can see it coming.

me too.. i can smell a draft day trade coming up... who has extra number 2 picks ? that is who we look to trade with.. or maybe denver bobs up and down and ends up with an extra 2... we love trading with them it seems

I totally agree with you. It's been Gibb's history. We've traded up in the last two drafts. Plus, Beathard always traded firsts in Gibbs first stint. Would not suprise me at all. Redskins go into each draft with more of an eye on quality over quantity. I think they will if there's someone they are really targeting.

A.J. Hawk will be gone before we can blink even if we trade up for a 1st rounder. That is a huge risk to try and fill a spot at linebacker by targeting him in the 1st especially if you look at how many quality linebackers there are in the entire draft. The draft is choc full of LBs so there is no reason to trade up b/c there will be some talent left in the second round for us to consider. My guess is that we will try to make a move, but not necessarily for a LB in the 1st round. We might shift some stuff around (picks this year and next) to get some more picks in the second and third in this year's draft. There could be some hidden talent in the late rounds that would fit in our system without selling the whole farm. I don't think giving up our first rounder next year is necessary, but it still could happen if Gibby and the staff feel it makes sense this year. :2cents:

HTTR!

Unless we get a REALLY out-of-this-world offer, we should just stay the course and hang onto that pick. We don't need to trade picks. Again, this is where you get your depth and groom players in case injuries plague us.

Last year, we traded our 3rd round pick and 1st next year for pick #25. Also we threw in a 4th round pick for the next year.

Now you want to trade our 2nd round pick and 1st next year for pick #23-25. (Forget about picks #26-#29. We don't want to trade more for less.) We should get at least pick #20, and more like pick #17.

Who exactly are you targeting with that, anyway?

In your first instance, you have us trading our first and second rounder to move into the late first round. That doesnt make sense and would be an awful trade. In your second example, you have us trading a first round pick and extra picks for a second round pick which also doesnt make any sense. THese scenarios will not happen.

Why won't they? Check recent draft history an see what teams cough up to move up.

It may happen, it may not, but that's the kind of price you pay to move up.

I'd be surprised if they did that....and didn't they trade next years #1 already??

I think they'll wait and see who gets released after June 1st. Under Greg Williams defensive scheme, even an average linebacker can look like a pro bowler.

Exactly it really is no point of trading up for a linebacker. Williams can make anyone with some potential look great at that spot.

No way we take Lendale. We need to address weakside linebacker, nickel corner and OL depth. Did you forget that we have Portis and Betts in the backfield?

Why not plan to trade up every year by giving away our next years 1st round pick. Lets face it, now that we are dominating we wont have a top 20 draft pick for years to come. If we can trade 2007s 1st round pick and say a 4th round pick for a top 20 pick this year, and then do the same thing next year, and so on and so on, the year where we dont have a first round pick will never come. And giving up a 4th -6th round pick to go with our next years 1st is small potatoes when you are securing a top 20 talent in the draft every year no matter what.

Yeah we might have to sweeten the deal some but the way this organization looks at the draft it seems they would rather grab a top 10 talent and then maybe a player here or there. Seems like the skins like to wait and see what players develop in the NFL and then trade picks for already established players. So if the team had to give a little bit more for a top 20 pick i dont think they would have a problem doing it.

The skins only trade up for a specific player and what they offer depends where that guys is obviously. I would not trade our second pick for next years first because it is going to be a deep draft. Our second pick may be like a low first next year from a talent perspective.

I would trade our entire draft next year for AJ Hawk. This guy is the goods and will be an all pro LB for years.

My theory is that if there is going to be a trade, it will be one in which we trade up as little as ten spots and maybe at most to the very early second. I think that this would be the result of the scouts spotting a real talent that will probably make it into the second. They know that being so late in the second puts them at a serious risk of loosing this player. If I was to guess I would say it was one of the three touted CB's in the draft, maybe even a LB. I would look them to package this years 53rd and sixth and a 3rd next year, maybe even a 2nd if they feel they need a pick rather early in the 2nd this year.

Their is also a possiblity the could pay alot more if they are deadset on somebody that could go as low as late first, if they really want him, I dont doubt that even the 1st next year is on the table.

I think gibbs realize that any 1st rounder we get next year is liable to be so late that is might as well be an early second.

Archived