Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My draft theory - Skins will trade up

Chrisbob74

The skins only trade up for a specific player and what they offer depends where that guys is obviously. I would not trade our second pick for next years first because it is going to be a deep draft. Our second pick may be like a low first next year from a talent perspective.

I would trade our entire draft next year for AJ Hawk. This guy is the goods and will be an all pro LB for years.

The success rate for LBs valued at and taken in the top10 is considerably lower than one might think. Junior Seau and LaVar Arrington are among the most successful top10 linebackers taken in the first 10 picks in the last 15-ish years. Typically speaking, late 1st rounders and early 2nd rounders have the best success rates as far as LBs go.

Sorry I'm late getting back to you JMCardle ... Portis and Betts do not work for me ... Betts fumbles too much and is effectively playing out his option. We need new blood at RB. Rock is not the answer. If Lendale is there ... I say we take him. The combination of Portis and White is synergistic ... they compliment each other perfectly. Its the right move given that all the pieces are there except a few for depth. The 2nd day of the draft can be used to acquire cannon fodder and depth. Of course, if Lendale is not a doable then the Skins should grab Byrd or Carpenter by trading up. Any pick at 53 will be wasted on a project.

Eh, I think they should stay right where they are unless a specific talent falls into the early-mid second round. Someone like an Chad Greenway, Ernie Simms, or Bobby Carpenter. About the only corner I'd be interested in would be Cromertie

Betts fumbles too much and is effectively playing out his option.

Only last year. Betts was pretty good in 2004. Also, if anything, having a guy in the last year of his contract is a good thing, because he wants to look good when he goes on the market

We need new blood at RB. Rock is not the answer.

Then what about Nemo? I assume you want LenDale because he's big, but Nemo is pretty big and fast himself.

In any case, Portis will be starting for many years into the future. Why spend all of that on a guy who probably won't see that much of the field for a good piece of his rookie contract? Also, good running backs can be found all throughout the draft.

Any pick at 53 will be wasted on a project.

2nd round picks are NOT projects. 2nd round picks are probably the best bang for the buck you can get.

Jason

If I could choose, I would have no objection to giving up the 1st rd pick in 2007 for a high 2nd round pick if a good OLB prospect is there and then keep #53 to get on of the better OL prospects left.

that would be idiocy.

I think you will see the skins stay pat, the one scenario I see is if a player is sitting 5 - 6 slots away that they really covet, I could see them packaging the 6th from the Jets and their 2nd rounder to move up 4 - 5 slots in the 2nd round. Whoever said only projects can be found in round 2 is insane, Lets look at some recent 2nd rounders by the Skins. John Jasen, Ladell Betts, Fred Smoot, Chris Cooley was a 3rd rounder, Dockery a 3rd rounder. I wouldn't call 2nd or even 3rd rounders projects, there is just usually more hit an miss in the 2nd and 3rounds. I was screaming for the Skins to draft Drew Brees the year he went in round 2.

Archived