Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My draft theory - Skins will trade up

Chrisbob74

Now that the Skins have addressed a number of needs this off-season it's my opinion that the only major need (there are other needs, especially OL depth) now is outide linebacker.

With that in mind and the strength of this draft for OLB's, I feel the Skins will take one of the following options on draft day:

1) Package 2nd round pick (#53) and 1st round pick in 2007 to trade into the lower end of the first round (say between picks 23-29).

2) Keep #53 but trade their 1st and maybe 4th or 5th in 2007 to gain a high 2nd round pick.

It'll depend of course on which of the OLB prospects they are targeting and who slips down to where they feel they can make a play for said player. I do believe if they do this or intend to do it that they will play it by ear on draft day unlike last year when the trade was made several days before the draft.

Anyone else think this is likely? Anyone not like the idea of trading another future 1st rounder?

If I could choose, I would have no objection to giving up the 1st rd pick in 2007 for a high 2nd round pick if a good OLB prospect is there and then keep #53 to get on of the better OL prospects left.

Is this something you consider a possibility or something you wish was possible?

If they think trading the 1st in 07 is the right thing to do, especially if they get the player they really want, I'm happy for them to do it. I just figure given the Skins history of trading away future picks combined with a very deep draft class at positions the Skins have interest in, it makes a lot of sense.

this makes no sense to me. why trade 3 picks, including a first rounder, for a 2nd rounder

It's not trading three picks, it's trading two future picks for a pick this year. Last year they traded three picks for one (3rd in '05, 1st and 4th in '06 for a 1st - #25 overall - in '05).

I'd be surprised if they did that....and didn't they trade next years #1 already??

I think they'll wait and see who gets released after June 1st. Under Greg Williams defensive scheme, even an average linebacker can look like a pro bowler.

Why couldn't he turn Holdman into one. :laugh: :applause:

I would not be surprised to see the Skins trade their 1st round next year and this year's 2nd or this year's 4th (do we have a 4th?) and a 6th to Denver (seems to be a favorite to trade with) for our original 1st round pick this year. Not that I agree with it, but Joe's history is to make this type of trade. One thing for sure, he will make a move and we won't have a 2007 1st round pick. :helmet:

Your thoughts?

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

ChrisBob ... you are absolutely correct ... Skins will take your option No. 1 and grab Lendale White who is falling like a rock out of the top 10. Skins will then have a powerhouse featuring White and Portis in a new backfield called the "thundering herd." The Skins will run over everyone in the NFC in a typical Coach Gibbs attack ... run, run, run ,,, playaction pass downfield to redzone ... then pound it into endzone. White will score a minimum of 20 tds for the Skins next year.

I'd be surprised if they did that....and didn't they trade next years #1 already??

I think they'll wait and see who gets released after June 1st. Under Greg Williams defensive scheme, even an average linebacker can look like a pro bowler.

I think we still have all of next years picks as of now. As to the original post, since it is a deep class at LBer, why not just stay where we are and take the best lber available. I tend to agree with SD skins fan that williams has taken two backups and made them pro-bowl caliber players already and can do it again. personally I would rather pick lb or cb at 53 and keep our future picks.

June 1st will be a bare cupboard this year, not many teams are as tight against the cap now since the new CBA but even before that June 1st had become a much quieter time in free agency than in the early years. teams manage their caps better now and don't seem to need the relief that June 1st offers now.

ChrisBob ... you are absolutely correct ... Skins will take your option No. 1 and grab Lendale White who is falling like a rock out of the top 10. Skins will then have a powerhouse featuring White and Portis in a new backfield called the "thundering herd." The Skins will run over everyone in the NFC in a typical Coach Gibbs attack ... run, run, run ,,, playaction pass downfield to redzone ... then pound it into endzone. White will score a minimum of 20 tds for the Skins next year.

Trading up won't surprise me. Trading up to grab White would surprise me!

Now that the Skins have addressed a number of needs this off-season it's my opinion that the only major need (there are other needs, especially OL depth) now is outide linebacker.

With that in mind and the strength of this draft for OLB's, I feel the Skins will take one of the following options on draft day:

1) Package 2nd round pick (#53) and 1st round pick in 2007 to trade into the lower end of the first round (say between picks 23-29).

2) Keep #53 but trade their 1st and maybe 4th or 5th in 2007 to gain a high 2nd round pick.

It'll depend of course on which of the OLB prospects they are targeting and who slips down to where they feel they can make a play for said player. I do believe if they do this or intend to do it that they will play it by ear on draft day unlike last year when the trade was made several days before the draft.

Anyone else think this is likely? Anyone not like the idea of trading another future 1st rounder?

If I could choose, I would have no objection to giving up the 1st rd pick in 2007 for a high 2nd round pick if a good OLB prospect is there and then keep #53 to get on of the better OL prospects left.

We don't need a linebacker that badly.

I would not be surprised to see the Skins trade their 1st round next year and this year's 2nd or this year's 4th (do we have a 4th?) and a 6th to Denver (seems to be a favorite to trade with) for our original 1st round pick this year. Not that I agree with it, but Joe's history is to make this type of trade. One thing for sure, he will make a move and we won't have a 2007 1st round pick. :helmet:

Your thoughts?

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

That pick has already gone to the Jets in that wacky three way trade with the Falcons for Abraham.

I don't know what you are smoking dude, but you need to share.

Seriously, I do see the trade mentioned as an option, and a good one. So Williams can make an average LB look good you say? Then why restrict him to an average LB? With a good WLB to work with, this defense would be downright scary. It would be what it was supposed to be with Lavar. If the defense was already good enough to carry the offense at the end of last season when Brunnell got hurt, imagine it with a dominant force at WLB. The offense is already drastically improved, and the defense is better, but could be the best in the league outright with a guy at WLB who could be disruptive.

I'd say do it. Get the best guy you can at OLB with the first pick, and with #53 take the best OG available. Maybe it ends up being Thomas Howard and Davin Joseph? Or DQuell Jackson and Max Jean-Gilles. Or Bobby Carpenter and Charles Spencer? I'd be happy with any combination above. Once you've done that, what need areas are left? DT and maybe corner down the road, but we could handle that in FA next year. All draft picks for the next few years would be for depth and building for the future, not looking for immediate starters. We'd have plenty of depth at nearly every position, and they would nearly all be young enough to play for several years to come at the least. By the time we really need picks again, we could have stockpiled a crapload.

It's not mortgaging the future, it's banking on it. If you are always planning for the future, you will never quite get there.

Man I can't wait for the season to start!

In your first instance, you have us trading our first and second rounder to move into the late first round. That doesnt make sense and would be an awful trade. In your second example, you have us trading a first round pick and extra picks for a second round pick which also doesnt make any sense. THese scenarios will not happen.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2370724#post2370724

The second round is, yet again, thick with quality players and as I mentioned in the above thread, I can see trading the future first rounder for another second this year to obtain some combination of LB, DL, CB, or TE.

I just don't think we'll spend that high a pick on a backup OL who may never see the field this year.

Not saying I'm for this move, but I can see it coming.

Archived