Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Jamar Fletcher to visit monday

CPstretch

Free agent cornerback Jamar Fletcher is scheduled to visit Redskins Park on Monday, according to a source with knowledge of the situation. The Redskins have been in contact with Fletcher sporadically throughout this month, and have been in the market for a third cornerback.

Fletcher, 26, spent the last two seasons in San Diego and is a five-year NFL veteran. He was drafted by Miami in the first round of the 2001 draft (26th overall) from Wisconsin, and was traded to the Chargers in 2004 for wide receiver David Boston . Fletcher played 30 games in two seasons with San Diego but was not a starter, filling the nickel back role the Redskins want to fill, with Shawn Springs and Carlos Rogers slated to start.

Make it happen, Dan.

26 years old. Former first round pick.

We actually played it cool, by not signing him a week or two ago. That way, we'll get him cheaper now.

Is this someone you try to sign for a very moderate 3-4 year contract, or a one year guy? With his age, it might make sense to lock him up for a few years.

I don't know enough about Fletcher to gauge if he's good or not, but I trust GW.

Unrelated, but an important footnote of the article:

"Archuleta has followed his rigorous routine in Phoenix and regularly visits a trainer and chiropractor in California. Archuleta will participate when team activities begin later in the offseason, Wichard said."

I only post this cause so many have been concerned about him not being here.

I don't know anything about this guy. I don't recall seeing him play. But I would be willing to sign a trashcan with wheels on it to fill that nickel position if it means Ade Jitoast doesn't see time there. :doh:

I am ok with him sticking around for special teams, but he is terrible on defense!!

I don't know anything about this guy. I don't recall seeing him play. But I would be willing to sign a trashcan with wheels on it to fill that nickel position if it means Ade Jitoast doesn't see time there. :doh:

I am ok with him sticking around for special teams, but he is terrible on defense!!

hahahaha i like your thinking

sign him up now

our defensive staff can mold him into somthing solid

:rolleyes:

Jimoh was solid during the times he did play last year.

Univ. of Wisconsin

Jamar Fletcher, Cornerback

Wisconsin, 1998-2000

He wasn't awe inspiring with his athleticism like Deion Sanders or Charles Woodson and he didn't gain notoriety by returning punts and playing a few snaps on offense like those two did. All Jamar Fletcher did was spend three years as one of the best big-play, big-game cornerbacks in college football history with a combination of clutch interceptions in the biggest moments and great open field tackling ability. Disagree? Ask Drew Brees or Cade McNown what they think.

While the Badgers were carried by the legs of Ron Dayne, Wisconsin wouldn't have gone to, or won, two straight Rose Bowls without Fletcher. Yeah, he never mastered the art of self-promotion like Sanders or Woodson did making the ridiculous claim before the 2000 Sun Bowl that he had never been beaten for a touchdown in man-to-man coverage (which didn't count the times he was beaten by David Terrell and Danny Farmer when in zone coverages), but he could woof and talk smack with the best of them and he could certainly back it up. While most tend to focus on his interception and touchdown records, he was also one of the surest open field tacklers for a corner. Against big-time passing teams, Wisconsin played zone coverage bending for a ton of yards but not breaking. This meant the corners had to make tackles and no one used a 174 pound frame like Fletcher did.

The ultimate offensive defensemen: When QBs chose to throw in Fletcher's direction they often paid dearly. Fletcher returned five interceptions for touchdowns, a Big Ten record, including game sealing picks in tight games against Purdue (twice) and UCLA in the Rose Bowl. Against Northwestern in 1999, the Badgers jumped out to a big lead but the Wildcats were getting back into the game making things interesting. A Fletcher 93-yard pick for a touchdown later ... game over.

The QBs wised up: By Fletcher's junior year, teams just refused to throw his way. All except Oregon as Duck QB Joey Harrington said before the game that he wasn't afraid to throw the ball anywhere. Three Fletcher interceptions and five pass breakups later, the Badgers pulled out the win. After getting burned two straight years by interception returns for touchdowns, Purdue's Drew Brees only threw three of his 43 passes Fletcher's way in the third meeting between the two. In man-to-man coverage, David Terrell only caught one pass in their sensational 2000 matchup.

Signature performance: With Wisconsin holding a slim three point lead in the 4th quarter following a TD run by UCLA's Jermaine Lewis in the 2000 Rose Bowl, UCLA was on the march again looking to tie up the game or even take the lead. That's when Fletcher made the play of the game picking off a Cade McNown pass and taking it for a touchdown to give the Badgers the what would turn out to be the game winning score in a 38-31 classic. Also notable was Fletcher's game-saving interception return for a touchdown that year against Purdue and Drew Brees. Brees threw a record 83 passes that day, but Fletcher sealed the win with his 52-yard interception return for a TD. In 1999 against Purdue, Fletcher picked off two passes returning one 34 yards for a TD with just 4:43 to play.

Honors:

* Jim Thorpe Award Winner - 2000

* First Team All-American - 1999, 2000

* Collegefootballnews.com All-American - 1999, 2000

* First Team All-Big Ten - 1998, 1999, 2000

* Led the Big Ten in interceptions for three straight years

* Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year - 2000

link

I remember hearing a week ago that Fletcher was refusing to visit the Skins because they weren't offering him a starting job. Springs and Rogers are definetly better corners, but I wouldn't mind having Fletcher as a nickel back knowning that he can step in and start if Springs goes down.

I remember hearing a week ago that Fletcher was refusing to visit the Skins because they weren't offering him a starting job. Springs and Rogers are definetly better corners, but I wouldn't mind having Fletcher as a nickel back knowning that he can step in and start if Springs goes down.

If he plays well enough to be a starter he will be shortly. Springs isnt going to last more than a year or two as the starter IMO. But no one is going to promise him a starting job, hes not that great.

I think its a perfect potential signing. Hopefully cheap, knows he is a backup. He is young and is obviously talented being a former #1 pick. As far as I know he has no character problems. Of course it is somewhat telling that he didn't start in San Diego since CB was one of their main problem positions. That being said I really didn't see him play at all.

Archived