Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Attributes do you need in a Mate?

Mass_SkinsFan

Well, I understand what you are saying and I think you cant really know till you hit that situation. Answer this question. Does not having a choice mean you cant live at the "level" you have been living? Because there really isnt anything wrong with having to buy a less expensive house and live cheaper rather then disrupt and hurt the family life(which I personnally think having her go out and work instead of being the groundwork and basis for the family.) I personnally do not think there is anything more important then what a housewife does everyday, and nothing harder. And it seems that no one realizes that these days... Its sad that that is the thought, and that it seems anyway that the post of housewife has been degraded in peoples mind that women think they have to have a job to be doing something useful or important or something. To each their own. :2cents:

I was going to answer this but I just feel that I shouldn't becasue I am not married or nothing.

Trust me on this though I guareentee that more then 75-80% of housewives which they could have work at some point of thier lives.

OK, if I may carry this one step further for Kurp...

You have your simple calculation that measures return on investment and productivity, I get that. However, there has to be an underlying reason for such a calculation. It gives you some sort of satisfaction (joy, happiness, etc.) to have been productive with your time and energy, right?

At the end of the day, I tend to agree with Kurp, that these decisions ARE made with the goal of happiness or satisfaction in mind.

Yes, there is a very simple calculation that I use to measure that return on investment. The underlying reason behind that calculation is that I have a nasty temper at times and very little patience. Therefore if there isn't a pretty good chance whatever I'm involved in is going to be successful quickly and simply, there needs to be a determination of the potential return on investment compared to what the initial investment is going to be.

For example... I used to shoot .22cal bullseye pistol matches. I had a moderate level of interest in the sport and two of my shooting buddies shoot in the league. I was able to borrow equipment for a while until I decided I was actually interested in the sport. I then invested a fair amount of money in a gun and other equipment of my own. Unfortunately, over the following two years I went through 2 different firearms, several brands of ammunition and a couple different of shooting styles/positions with decreasing levels of success in the sport. Last fall when the league started we opened the season with a double match at another team's range. 7 rounds into the first 30 round match, I had mechanical issues similar to ones I though had been remedied at the end of last season. The issue continued through the rest of the first 30 round match. I didn't shoot the second match. I haven't shot a match since. The gun is for sale at this time. The return got to a point where it wasn't even equal to the investment. I won't shoot the sport again.

So would you fit on this chart? :D

No. Not in the least. What I practice is a religion that's pretty much defunct and has been for nearly a millenium. The number of practitioners worldwide could probably be counted on the fingers and toes of any single member of this message board. That is if any of us knew who any of the others actually were. Suffice it to say that there's no hymnal and no seminary for this religion.

And that's about all I am willing to openly and publicly discuss on the topic. Thank you very much.

Yes, there is a very simple calculation that I use to measure that return on investment. The underlying reason behind that calculation is that I have a nasty temper at times and very little patience. Therefore if there isn't a pretty good chance whatever I'm involved in is going to be successful quickly and simply, there needs to be a determination of the potential return on investment compared to what the initial investment is going to be.

For example... I used to shoot .22cal bullseye pistol matches. I had a moderate level of interest in the sport and two of my shooting buddies shoot in the league. I was able to borrow equipment for a while until I decided I was actually interested in the sport. I then invested a fair amount of money in a gun and other equipment of my own. Unfortunately, over the following two years I went through 2 different firearms, several brands of ammunition and a couple different of shooting styles/positions with decreasing levels of success in the sport. Last fall when the league started we opened the season with a double match at another team's range. 7 rounds into the first 30 round match, I had mechanical issues similar to ones I though had been remedied at the end of last season. The issue continued through the rest of the first 30 round match. I didn't shoot the second match. I haven't shot a match since. The gun is for sale at this time. The return got to a point where it wasn't even equal to the investment. I won't shoot the sport again.

But what you're describing is an "emotional" return on investment. You weren't happy with the shooting, so you quit. You made your decisions and choices in an attmept to attain happiness and satisfaction. Or am I misinterpreting?

But what you're describing is an "emotional" return on investment. You weren't happy with the shooting, so you quit. You made your decisions and choices in an attmept to attain happiness and satisfaction. Or am I misinterpreting?

Yes, you are misinterpreting. Let's see if I can clear this up once and for all, using the shooting incident discussed above....

First let's look at the investment I was making in the sport. 2 nights a week. Monday nights, or the occassional Tuesday for matches and Friday's for practice. On match nights the entire evening, from the time I got home after work (4:30) to 10:00 were invested in the preparation, travel to, shooting of, and return from the match. On Fridays I would have a little bit of free time before practice, but again I wouldn't be back home until 9:30 or 10:00pm. The firearms used are expensive, specialized pistols that don't have great general commercial resale value. The good ammunition is not cheap either, ranging right around $12 per 50 round box. Each match is 30 rounds, and in practice we'd shoot 2 matches in a night. That's 90-100 rounds a week. From August to April.

Now let's look at the return on that investment. Each match is 30 rounds with a maximum score of 300 points. I normally shot in the 230-250 range on a good night when I stopped shooting. That's above average but not great, considering that some members of the league shoot 285+ on a regular basis and 280+ as an average. I would be lucky to be one of the Top 5 shooters on my team at half the matches in a season. That's important because only the Top 5 scores on each team are added together to determine the team score. Add to that the fact that I had numerous mechanical difficulties with both pistols I used during this endeavour, went through at least 4 or 5 different brands of ammo trying to alleviate accuracy and reliability issues and tried at least 3 different shooting stances in attempts to fix accuracy problems.

In the end it got to a point where the time, the energy, and the money I was investing into the sport were greatly exceeding the success that I was having in the sport. The only thing I was having great success at was pissing myself off and proving that I was not very good at the sport. I determined that the time, money and energy I was investing could be put to more productive uses elsewhere in my life.

Let me try another analogy. Let's make you a football player. You've decided that you're going to sit on the bench because you believe that whether you play or not will have no bearing on the outcome of the game. In fact, you believe that whether or not your team makes the Super Bowl has already been decided by the league front office before the season even starts. In the meantime your teammates are out there in the trenches. They're getting hit, sometimes hard and sometimes resulting in injury, but they play the game because they seek the joy of catching a pass, or making a crucial block, or breaking a short gain into a long gain, or sacking the opposing QB. They play the game because of the camaraderie that comes with depending on teammates to accomplish a common goal. Players on teams that are perennial losers still show up to compete each year because they don't know for sure that they won't make the Super Bowl. They show up because they know that without trying it's guaranteed they won't make the Super Bowl. They accept that they'll get hit hard sometimes and they assume the risk of injury because the harder the effort, and the greater the risk, the bigger the reward.

In the meantime MSF, you're content to sit on the sidelines because it's safe. You won't get hit and you won't get injured. However you will also never experience the thrill of catching a pass, or returning an interception for a TD, or connecting with your teammates in the spirit of brotherhood. You'd like these things but unless someone can guarantee that they'll block for you, let you run with the ball without regard to the play that's called, prevent anyone from hittng you, and ensure that you'll score every time you touch the ball, then you don't want any part of the game.

Despite what you believe MSF, you don't know for sure that what you believe is actually true. You don't know that the length of time here on earth is predestined. What you do know, and what we all know, is that regardless of the destination, we must all still take the journey known as life on earth. In that journey you can be a passenger or you can be the driver. The choice is yours. If you're the driver you can take the well-paved path that offers very little in the way of sights, sounds, and experiences, or you can take the less traveled and perhaps more risky path that offers breath-taking views of mountains and oceans. Sure, you may lose your footing at times, or you may even blow a tire on a pothole, but you've done and seen things that you would have not otherwise had you taken the safe route.

What if you're wrong? What if there isn't anything after we die? What if all we have is the journey and when we reach the destination that's it? In that case wouldn't it be better to have made the journey everything it could be? On the other hand, what if you're right? What if there is something more after we die? Even in that case would we be worse off for having made the effort to experience the joys that exist here on earth?

At the end of our lives we are measured by the impact we've had on all the people we've come in contact with - directly or indirectly. No one knows what will happen to us when we die. It's possible the only meaning your life may have will be determined by what you did while on earth. The love and compassion you show and share with those in your life can continue to have a positive and wonderful effect long after you're dead - if you make the effort. In fact, that may be your only chance at eternal life.

Your comments in this thread, while it may not be clear to you, demonstrates that you are playing the victim by allowing the unpleasant and inevitable pitfalls in life prevent you from experiencing the joys and highs of life. If Brunnell allowed the possibility of an interception dictate his play the Redskins would surely lose every game because he'd be afraid to throw a pass. Think of the reaction of the team and the players around him if Brunnell never threw another pass. How would his career end up?

Take charge MSF and accept the fact that your current perception of life, while safe, is self-destructive. Taking a slogan from the military, "Be all that you can be".

In the meantime MSF, you're content to sit on the sidelines because it's safe. You won't get hit and you won't get injured. However you will also never experience the thrill of catching a pass, or returning an interception for a TD, or connecting with your teammates in the spirit of brotherhood. You'd like these things but unless someone can guarantee that they'll block for you, let you run with the ball without regard to the play that's called, prevent anyone from hittng you, and ensure that you'll score every time you touch the ball, then you don't want any part of the game.

Yes I am content to sit on the sidlines. In fact, in your analogy I'd be very likely to retire instead of just sitting on the sidelines. I have never been interested in perseverence, challenges or what I MIGHT gain out of doing something. I live by a simple rule... "If you can't win, don't play." I don't see the point in things otherwise. You may not like it or agree with it but it's MY life, not yours.

What you do know, and what we all know, is that regardless of the destination, we must all still take the journey known as life on earth. In that journey you can be a passenger or you can be the driver. The choice is yours. If you're the driver you can take the well-paved path that offers very little in the way of sights, sounds, and experiences, or you can take the less traveled and perhaps more risky path that offers breath-taking views of mountains and oceans. Sure, you may lose your footing at times, or you may even blow a tire on a pothole, but you've done and seen things that you would have not otherwise had you taken the safe route.

To use your driving analogy I am the guy who drives on the nice wide open expressway and takes the most direct route from point A to Point B, pretty much ignoring everything else inbetween. If there isn't a nice easy route, I probably avoid taking the trip at all.

What if you're wrong? What if there isn't anything after we die? What if all we have is the journey and when we reach the destination that's it? In that case wouldn't it be better to have made the journey everything it could be? On the other hand, what if you're right? What if there is something more after we die? Even in that case would we be worse off for having made the effort to experience the joys that exist here on earth?.

If I'm wrong then there was no point in having been here in the first place. If there's nothing after this then we're all just wasting our time being here to begin with. It's not a matter of whether we're better or worse off for having experienced joy and happiness. I personally believe that living a proper life is much more important than living a happy life.

At the end of our lives we are measured by the impact we've had on all the people we've come in contact with - directly or indirectly. No one knows what will happen to us when we die. It's possible the only meaning your life may have will be determined by what you did while on earth. The love and compassion you show and share with those in your life can continue to have a positive and wonderful effect long after you're dead - if you make the effort. In fact, that may be your only chance at eternal life.

I see a different measuring stick at the end of life than you do, obviously. I suspect that there will be very few people at my wake when I die. I've left very specific instructions with my lawyer as to what's to be done with my body after my death. I suspect somebody from his office may be the only one who even realizes or cares that I'm dead when it happens.

Your comments in this thread, while it may not be clear to you, demonstrates that you are playing the victim by allowing the unpleasant and inevitable pitfalls in life prevent you from experiencing the joys and highs of life. If Brunnell allowed the possibility of an interception dictate his play the Redskins would surely lose every game because he'd be afraid to throw a pass. Think of the reaction of the team and the players around him if Brunnell never threw another pass. How would his career end up?

Take charge MSF and accept the fact that your current perception of life, while safe, is self-destructive. Taking a slogan from the military, "Be all that you can be".

I've already discussed this whole concept. It all comes down to that "If you can't win, don't play" concept. I'd rather not get involved than have to deal with losing. I've done enough of that in my life already. I have no interest in going down that road again.

MSF, you hit the nail on the head.

It's your life and your beliefs. I'm just glad you're doing what you feel is right.

You are definitely a fascinating individual.

Thanks for the kind words, TD.

I don't know about the "fascinating" part. A couple people have made that comment in this thread. One even suggested I needed my own thread. I'm not sure that I see why, but it was an interesting comment.

Living a happy life IS living a proper life.

While I will agree that living a "happy" life is not mutually exclusive to living a PROPER life; that ARE NOT necessarily the same thing. Personally, I'm much more interested in living the PROPER life than the "happy" life.

Archived