Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Band -- Yes, I said "The Band."

drums and skins

So, is anyone else rather dissapointed in the Redskins pep band? I remember the days of seeing a ~100 member marching band out there and now it has just dwindled down to a measely ~30 member piece band. I understand that they take seats and potential revenue away in terms of ticket sales but 1.) They're tucked away in the corner as if it were spectator purgatory anyways (no one wants those seats ;)) and 2.) It's the largest stadium in the NFL, and I'm sure you can squeeze in a couple more bodies anyways.

I bring this up because I have been involved with marching band for about 8 years now and have marched and taught it (drums). When I made it to my first game in a few years (Opening day '05), I was very dissapointed in what I saw. "Hail to the Redskins" was being played on the loudspeakers. The band looked like it went through a war and only a few survived. If you want to talk about morale for the home games -- a good band and drumline does wonders to pump the crowd up.

Houston Texans "Bull Pen" Pep Band. The Seattle "Blue Thunder" Drumline. The Broncos' "Stampede" Drumline. The Chicago "Bear Corps" drumline. Jacksonville Jaguars have the "D-Line" (yep, a drumline). Atlanta Falcons have their own drumline too. Of course, The Ravens and their large band. There's a reason why these units are popping up all around the league: they work the crowd up (in the NBA too! -- Dallas Mavericks, Detroit Pistons, Seattle Supersonics , heck, I was once approached by a operations manager at the Wizards about starting a drumline, so even they have expressed interest.). I remember a time where the Redskins' band used to be the only one in the league.

Have any of you been to a Terps game (or any college game for that matter) and just felt the excitement of an energetic fight song (especially when the players get hyped by it, too) ? It is an amazing feeling and it really gets the crowd loud, rowdy, and pumped for the next series of plays. I just get dissapointed seeing a band a fraction of the size it used to be, and simply synching themselves to music over the loudspeakers. Its not authentic and it has no heart. "Hail to the redskins" isn't being sung as loud and as proud as it once was.

Forget free agents and the draft... I say we need Redskins Band reform!

</end rant>

Anybody else have any feelings about this? Does anybody remember those good 'ol days when the band was larger? Does anyone miss the excitement and energy that these bands bring out? Or am I just ranting on a forum with people mostly concerned about the team, and only the team? I care about the whole organization and to me, if its not doing the job, it needs to be fixed.

Any more information about the band in general would be appreciated, if you have it.

(Unrelated note -- Are there any members of the band that browse these forums? )

I've been to several Seahawks games and i can tell you from first hand experience the fans don't care about them. I've even heard some people complain about them. Seattlites are very passive agressive though, so maybe it's just them.

Personally, I like it. I like the big bands and the drumlines.

I've been to several Seahawks games and i can tell you from first hand experience the fans don't care about them. I've even heard some people complain about them. Seattlites are very passive agressive though, so maybe it's just the.

Personally, I like it. I like the big bands and the drumlines.

i have been a redskin fan for most of my life. but hadnt been to a home game untill last year. i kept telling my wife that i couldnt wait to see the band and when they came out i got goosebumps. maybe it was because i was at my graceland for the first time and it was sort of like that scene in the movie rudy when his father first layed his eyes on the notre dame field but it was still really cool.

I've been to several Seahawks games and i can tell you from first hand experience the fans don't care about them. I've even heard some people complain about them. Seattlites are very passive agressive though, so maybe it's just them.

Thats interesting, considering the Blue Thunder director was consulted by many NFL and NBA teams about starting drumlines in their franchise.

and redskinss -- I agree. The large band they once were had an awesome presence...but I was just shocked and dissapointed when I was at our first regular season home game last year.... No "Rudy" moment for this guy. ;)

As a member of the band, allow me to correct you on a couple of your points.

The band is not 30 members. It's around 100 or a little more. Hell, there's at least 20 trumpets alone. I'm not sure where you got 30 from, maybe you glanced down during a break or something. The band is the same size now as it was 10, 20, 30 years ago.

There is no "synching" up with the loudspeakers. That would impossible- the echo in the stadium is a nightmare. There are 4 microphones on stands in front of us. We play Hail to the Redskins. There are no tapes. With the stadium as big as FedEx, you have to mic the band. There isn't a band in the country that could fill that stadium with sound.

We are given a very limited amount of time to play because of advertising, not to mention many people in the crowd would rather here a clip of their favorite hip hop or rock song. Unfortunately, such is life in 2006. However, when we do play, I think we do alright.

Lastly, if you are disappointed in the band, then come make it better. Tryouts will be in a month or so.

Pz

Aww man I usually get seats around the band. I'm not the type to turn down tickets ever, more than half the time I end up around them. They play well and when the game is going our way they certainly help celebrate. If they increased the band that would be fine, however things are also going well right now.

Well that explains what I saw about their size (during a break, probably), but regardless, they most definitely synched a cadence for the halftime arrangement I saw. No one gets a concert snare drum sound out of one of those high-tension marching drums. Maybe thats why I thought the fight song was also synched... oh well, thanks for clearing that up.

I may be interested in trying out, though would probably stick out since I have corps style roots...expect a PM.

Good stuff- we can always use good players. I'm not sure what spots are open, but I'm sure they'd like to check you out.

And dude, there was no synching-I swear. I'm not sure what you heard or how they did it, but I can promise you that it came from us.

By the way, what school do you attend and/or teach at?

I'd personally rather see them get a helluva lot younger. Not that I don't appreciate the tradition and what the others have done before. But if you ever been to a HU game (Hampton University vs Howard University) then you'll never look bands in the same light again. And Ima caucasian! I'd like to see the director from either of those schools take over and bring their kids (and dancers) along with them.

I'd personally rather see them get a helluva lot younger. Not that I don't appreciate the tradition and what the others have done before. But if you ever been to a HU game (Hampton University vs Howard University) then you'll never look bands in the same light again. And Ima caucasian! I'd like to see the director from either of those schools take over and bring their kids (and dancers) along with them.

It's all in what you're looking for. I went to JMU where the band was about the music. Not many people have ever heard the band at JMU and been able to say with a straight face that it wasn't the best band they've ever heard.

I've heard Hampton and Howard put on a good show too. I wouldn't mind seeing that sometime.

Dammit!! False pretenses got me to click on this thread!

No offense to the best NFL band of them all, but I thought this thread would be discussion regarding one of the best rock n roll bands of all time. Possibly the best concert film ever .. "The Last Waltz!" Sadly, half of 'em are dead now.

It's all in what you're looking for. I went to JMU where the band was about the music. Not many people have ever heard the band at JMU and been able to say with a straight face that it wasn't the best band they've ever heard.

member of the MRD's for four years now, though I am graduating. It is gonna be weird to not be prepping for another band season for the first time in 8 years.

However, I would kinda disagree with what you say about the band. Maybe it was different in your time, and dont get me wrong, people do still enjoy watching the band and members love doing it, myself included. However, I think our band pales in comparison to some of the big football schools, Michigan, Ohio State, Texas, USC, military academies, soo many of them have great bands. Our marching arcs are not big at all when I watch some of those shows or DCI shows on tv. In Virginia, yes we are probably the best band, but nationwide, we tend to fall.

Were you around when we won the Sudler Trophy, that must have been a good band, and I would seriously wonder when the dropoff happened.

I am also interested in joining the Redskins band as well, clarinet player here, but it may not be for a few years yet.

Phantom Regiment, baby!!!!!

:notworthy Amen... though don't ever call PR a band again ;). It's nice to see people with corps knowledge in these parts. PR had one hell of a showing last year. BD, not so much... yowza. ;)

Anyways, Lucas -- JMU, eh? Remember anyone by the name of Daniel Valedie? I taught under him this past year at Patuxent High School. I think he marched in early 90s and taught/arranged there during the mid 90s as well. Not too sure. Anyways, JMU has a fantastic band. (P.S. - check your inbox)

West Chester and UMASS get my vote for "blow your heads off" sound though in the college ranks. Drum corps obviously take the cake, though. Its all brass and drums, so they got the volume advantage.;)

I've heard Hampton and Howard put on a good show too. I wouldn't mind seeing that sometime.

Virginia's Finest :applause: Nothing beats the MRD's....

member of the MRD's for four years now, though I am graduating. It is gonna be weird to not be prepping for another band season for the first time in 8 years.

However, I would kinda disagree with what you say about the band. Maybe it was different in your time, and dont get me wrong, people do still enjoy watching the band and members love doing it, myself included. However, I think our band pales in comparison to some of the big football schools, Michigan, Ohio State, Texas, USC, military academies, soo many of them have great bands. Our marching arcs are not big at all when I watch some of those shows or DCI shows on tv. In Virginia, yes we are probably the best band, but nationwide, we tend to fall.

Were you around when we won the Sudler Trophy, that must have been a good band, and I would seriously wonder when the dropoff happened.

I am also interested in joining the Redskins band as well, clarinet player here, but it may not be for a few years yet.

I was in the band from '96 to '99. We were better than anyone during that time period. If you truly believe that the Dukes pale in comparison to MI, Texas, etc., then man, it's gone straight down hill. Rooney will probably retire soon. I can't speak for now- I haven't really heard the band in the last 4 years. I will say this though- I heard the band during the I AA chamionship game on ESPN and I was really disappointed. Please don't take offense to that- I just expected something great because that's what we had in college. Check out the webpage and listen to the years I mentioned- we were straight cash homey.

Archived