Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs could have worked elsewhere

JMUGator19

thank god we got joe gibbs back. can u imagine another season with spurrier? :laugh:

At least he was somewhat entertaining. Ray Rhodes, who was rumored to be among the candidates after Spurrier's resignation, would have been the worst choice. He's ruined far better teams than we were at that time, and we wouldn't have been able to finish in the top half of the Pac-10 if he'd gotten the gig.

I always thought that if Gibbs came back to the NFL, he would've gone to Carolina, since his new home is Charlotte. I just always thought he could coach there and take care of his racecars by being close to JD. But, I am glad that he is a loyal REDSKIN, cause most coaches have no loyalty to any organizations.

And, if Gibbs hadn't come back I think we would have gone after Luvie Smith.

Yeah, I never liked Daniel Snyder before he brought in Gibbs. Snyder was always good for the money, but he interfered too much. He only got Gibbs to come back with the promise of limited interference. Plus a fat paycheck.

Gibbs has said that he was in discussions with Atlanta because he wanted to return to coaching. He also has said that he was in a meeting with Atlanta when his phone rang and he was told Spurrier had resigned. At that point, he told them "I need to look into the Skins." He got word to Snyder through a mutual friend and the rest is history.

Gibbs knew he'd be welcomed with open arms because when Snyder first bought the team, and every time there was a coaching opening, Snyder called him to gauge his interest.

Sometimes things just line up right. Thank Spurrier for quitting for this one!

Close Gibbs was actually having lunch with Arther(sp) Blank when Blank's phone went off, when he Hung up and Gibbs phone went off almost to the instant he knew Where Gibbs was heading.

Here is the catch One of the Minority owners who is a good friend of Gibbs actually got on the phone with Snyder and told him to call Gibbs from what i hear this might have been the only time Snyder did not call gibbs as Gibbs had been persistant in the past with he was never gonna return to coach again

Thank God he changed his mind and had not met with Mr Blank a day earlier

I also recall Gibbs mentioning that he was inspired to come back to the skins because he didn't like the direction the organization was heading, the infiinite coaching changes, poor performance on the field, etc.

That and his son wanting to get into coaching inspired Gibbs to want to pull those 4am nights again!

Thank the Head Chief upstairs for letting everything fall into place for us extreme skins! It was meant to be! :logo:

I also recall Gibbs mentioning that he was inspired to come back to the skins because he didn't like the direction the organization was heading, the infiinite coaching changes, poor performance on the field, etc.

That and his son wanting to get into coaching inspired Gibbs to want to pull those 4am nights again!

Thank the Head Chief upstairs for letting everything fall into place for us extreme skins! It was meant to be! :logo:

I don't recall him ever saying he didn't like the direction the organization was heading. Instead, true his ultimate professionalism, he said something to the effect that he was honored to be asked to come back and head the franchise in a new direction. It's not in Gibbs character to criticize those who came before him. A comment like that would have also been a dig at Snyder and Gibbs has never said a negative word about him.

Gibbs did say that Coy's request to get into coaching was the major impetus to him coming back. I believe Coy was a Quality Assistant on offense the last two years.

Ya gotta love a thread that starts out:

1. You aren't sure because it didn't happen..

and continues on to say:

2. Maybe that's because Joe said he couldn't see himself coaching anywhere else.

and:

3. Look it up yourself. "I'm not sure but I don't think" you will find it anywhere.

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

LOL, Very condescending. But I got a good chuckle out of it!

The dude is just making a comment, man. Chill the F*&$k out!!!!

WOW.. You know you should really cut back on your caffiene intake.. 7:40am is too early to get so torqued up.. Plus - "People express their opinion and if you don't like them, don't read them!"

Archived