Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs could have worked elsewhere

JMUGator19

Im not sure, but i could have sworn that Gibbs said that when he wanted to return to the NFL he would have taken any team with a good owner. I just think its interesting that some of you are thinking that Gibbs is back with the Skins because he was tired of seeing the Skins lose... But arnt you glad Snyder had the brains and the money to grab Gibbs? Im just wondering if any of you could find out where he said that stuff. Oh and here is a tantalizing question... where would the skins be had he not been hired?

Im not sure, but i could have sworn that Gibbs said that when he wanted to return to the NFL he would have taken any team with a good owner. I just think its interesting that some of you are thinking that Gibbs is back with the Skins because he was tired of seeing the Skins lose... But arnt you glad Snyder had the brains and the money to grab Gibbs? Im just wondering if any of you could find out where he said that stuff. Oh and here is a tantalizing question... where would the skins be had he not been hired?

Ya gotta love a thread that starts out:

Im not sure, but i could have sworn

1. You aren't sure because it didn't happen..

and continues on to say:

I just think its interesting that some of you are thinking that Gibbs is back with the Skins because he was tired of seeing the Skins lose...

2. Maybe that's because Joe said he couldn't see himself coaching anywhere else.

and:

Im just wondering if any of you could find out where he said that stuff.

3. Look it up yourself. "I'm not sure but I don't think" you will find it anywhere.

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

thank god we got joe gibbs back. can u imagine another season with spurrier? :laugh:

As has been mentioned above, JG had shares in the Atlanta Falcons organisation, and unless I'm mistaken, the owner of the Falcons also owns Home Depot, who is the major sponsor of JG's NASCAR team.

If JG was going to coach anywhere but in DC, it would most likely to have been in Atlanta.

Carolina & Atlanta did actively persued Joe Gibbs. But of course Joe Gibbs could have worked elsewhere. He is a Hall of Fame coach and could have walked into anyone of 32 teams offices and walked out the head coach.

I think Dan Snyder made all the right moves in getting Joe Gibbs back. I don't think it was a given Joe Gibbs would come back (only under the right circumstances). Being a member of the pro-Snyder & anti-Caserly factions, I have always thought Caserly got a free ride for driving World Champions into the ground while Snyder got a raw deal for cleaning up after the mess. About time people gave Snyder credit, he did the unthinkable when no one said it could be done.

On a side note. With as popular as it has become for coaches to float around it has become even more distinguishing to stay with a team. And also noteworthy, floating around is the far more safer career-wise to do also. Joe Gibbs is above the crowd though.

Arthur Blank, the owner of Home Depot, and the Atlanta Falcons was one of Joe's major sponsors on his Racing teams. Joe was a minority owner in the Atlanta Falcons, and was a consultant for the Falcons. I am not totally sure but from what I remember it was one of Joes former coaches who was brought in to review some of the problems, the skins were having under Spurrier, that talked to Joe and convinced him that there was a viable group of players that could be coached to make a winning team. I doubt that if he hadn't talked to Joe he would have come back.

If the Skins job hadn't "opened up" and Joe Gibbs was really itching to coach again, he would have coached elsewhere and like someone said, it likely would have been Atlanta.

It's foolish to believe that Gibbs would not have returned to coaching (if he had the desire to do so) if the Skins job were not open.

If the Skins job hadn't "opened up" and Joe Gibbs was really itching to coach again, he would have coached elsewhere and like someone said, it likely would have been Atlanta.

i dont think so. he wouldnt want michael vick as his starting QB.

he wants a real QB, not a running back playing QB.

some may not remember this but joe gibbs was part of an ownership group to buy

the redskins competing against the milstein group, which snyder was a part of.

the milstein deal fell through for some reason, then snyder got his own group together.

the rest is history.

joe gibbs also worked as a studio analyst on NBC with ditka, collinsworth, and greg gumbel back in the 90's. he also briefly worked in the booth. he was good in the studio

terrible in the booth.

Gibbs was briefly interested in becoming the Panthers first head coach also back in 95.

I think the Panthers were the ones who were more interested, but Jack Kent Cooke didn't allow Joe to meet with them. Since Joe retired with years left on his contract, Cooke said that if Joe wanted to un-retire he could coach the Redskins or nowhere.

Joe did have interest in coaching the Falcons, but Snyder convinced him to come back to Washington instead. Joe wanted to get back into coaching because his son Coy wanted to get into coaching. That is what planted the seed.

If the skins coaching job didn't open up, and Snyder got even an inkling that Gibbs was coming back, he would have fired whatever coach he had, and immediately hire Gibbs. Snyder is a true Redskin fan, and would have made sure Gibbs came home.

Ya gotta love a thread that starts out:

1. You aren't sure because it didn't happen..

and continues on to say:

2. Maybe that's because Joe said he couldn't see himself coaching anywhere else.

and:

3. Look it up yourself. "I'm not sure but I don't think" you will find it anywhere.

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

The dude is just making a comment, man. Chill the F*&$k out!!!!

Gibbs has said that he was in discussions with Atlanta because he wanted to return to coaching. He also has said that he was in a meeting with Atlanta when his phone rang and he was told Spurrier had resigned. At that point, he told them "I need to look into the Skins." He got word to Snyder through a mutual friend and the rest is history.

Gibbs knew he'd be welcomed with open arms because when Snyder first bought the team, and every time there was a coaching opening, Snyder called him to gauge his interest.

Sometimes things just line up right. Thank Spurrier for quitting for this one!

Archived