Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP - On GoodWIN, Cowart, Fletcher, Lloyd, et. al (3xMerged won't be a fourth)

fdarugar

With optional workouts less than a week away, the Redskins have not come to terms on a new contract with newly acquired wide receiver Brandon Lloyd. Lloyd is under contract to play this season at his tendered salary of $1.57 million, but without a new deal would be a free agent at the end of the season.

Is Bryant making something outta nothing here or is he saying we may have a problem on our hands...my take is that he is just putting this in as filler.

Also he mentions Fletcher and Cowart again with nothing new to report there...basically this article is a bunch of nothingness wrapped around a reporting of Goodwin not signing, :2cents:.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/20/AR2006032001590.html

If Lloyd were to sign a deal similiar to what we've signed the others we sign to, his cap hit would be about $550,000 for the base minimum along with about $833,000 or so for a pro-rated cap hit on a $5 million signing bonus spread over six years. We'd actually save a couple hundred thousand against the cap number resigning him to a similar deal. Next year you'd give him another $3 to $5 million bonus you'd then spread over five years, bumping the cap hit to around $2.5 million in year two and $2.7 million in year three if you go up to $5 million.

My guess is you'll have no problem signing him given this situation and I'm not sure how hard we're working on it since it can be done at pretty much any time we'd like.

Yeah - this article reads as fluff. He states that Goodwin didn't sign but follows that with a statement that Goodwin is going to stay and meet with coaches today. Why stay an extra day if you're not interested in the team? As for Lloyd's contract - there's no need to rush it at this point. Lloyd is under contract based upn the deal he signed with the niners. The Redskins will most likely wait until the remaining free agent moves and draft takes place in order to structure a new deal that is cap-friendly but meets the needs of both sides. They did something similar when Portis came over from Denver.

Evans not expected to return?

From redskins.com

"Evans is an unrestricted free agent this offseason and his future with the Redskins is uncertain. He turns 27 in March, so he is just entering his prime. Defensive coaches have worked to develop Evans' skills the last two seasons."

Not expected to return is the next step from uncertain. This is the one move I think we regret if we lose him.

That's the first time I've personally read that Evans isn't expected to return. He's visiting the Saints.... where they employ both Will Smith and Charles Grant at DE. Why would he go there and be a backup when he could stay here and do the same thing?

I don't expect Evans to return because he's now fourth on the defensive end chart down from third. And he's fifth on the defensive tackle chart down from fourth. I'd like to keep him, but, he's just not a guy you see a lot of time for barring injury. He'd be great depth, but, he may feel he's ready to get more time than we can promise him here for another couple of years.

Evans also visited the 49ers. he could be shopping himself to raise is price to stay with the skins, but I think he's gone. I agree that he will be a big loss as he prvoded great depth last year. I think we will sign Goodwin today. we desperately need oline depth and his versatility makes him ideal.

Yeah, this is really disappointing to hear about Evans. We are developing some excellent defensive players under Williams but we can't seem to keep all of them here. I'll take Evans over Killings any day of the week, but Cedric is the one getting re-signed. Obviously there is a difference in $ but the bottom line is it seems like we are creative enough with the cap to retain these guys if we really wanted to do so.

He filled in admirably for us when called on...he'll be missed, and the defense will be the worse for losing him.

980 confirmed that Goodwin visited but hadn't signed. It would definetly be in the redskins best interest to sign him for OL depth. I'm guessing things will fly smoothly and mr. snyder and joe gibbs will pick him up.

Buges hasn't gotten any presents this offseason while Al and GWilliams got plenty... I think its time :2cents:

Goodwin is a young guy with a big body with some starting experience. For a depth move he'd be about what you're looking for. He has some upside, some ability, some experience and some versatility. He didn't play very well in his starts last year, so, relying on him as a starter over a long period might be a painful thing. But, with most depth players that can be said.

Yeah I really do not want to loose Evans. I think he made plays last year and he knows the system. Sometimes I just do not understand what the FO is thinking. :doh: I hope we can keep him.

As far as Cowart and Fletcher, I really don't see them as upgrades to Marshall and Walt Harris. Perhaps they would be down grades. Fletcher in particular is mediocre at best.

Redskins | Goodwin in town to meet with Washington

Mon, 20 Mar 2006 20:56:54 -0800

Howard Bryant, of the Washington Post, reports free agent OL Jonathan Goodwin (Jets) arrived in Washington to meet with the Washington Redskins. So far no agreement has been reached, according to his agent. Goodwin's agent, Fletcher Smith, said Goodwin arrived at early Monday evening, March 20, and was expected to spend time with the coaches Tuesday, March 21.

Evans probably wants to start....I'm sure he has an offer from us just like Clark did but is trying for more money and more starting potential....knowing the past its logical he'll sign in Cincy. :)

We need to sign this OL guy or the one from Car but he started last year so who knows if he'd come here to be a backup...both can play OG and C so they could backup two spots. NIce....I wonder why we haven't even heard about any interest in Andre Dyson for our Nickel DB spot?? I trust Williams so maybe he isn't right for our system...he definitely wouldn't be too pricey.

Free agent offensive lineman Jonathan Goodwin arrived last night to meet with Washington Redskins coaches, but no agreement has been reached, according to his agent.

Gibbs said he also wanted to improve at weak-side linebacker and cornerback, but has not moved on either front yet. The Redskins had contacted the agent for free agent middle linebacker Sam Cowart, but Cowart had no plans to visit the Redskins. According to his agent, Paul Healy, Cowart was in Houston visiting the Texans. It had been believed that Cowart would be a good fit with the Redskins because of his personal history with assistant head coach-defense Gregg Williams, who coached Cowart when Williams was the head coach in Buffalo.

The Redskins also contacted free agent cornerback Jamar Fletcher, a 2001 first-round pick from Wisconsin who spent the last two seasons in San Diego.

Fletcher, however, has not visited the Redskins and has drawn interest from other teams.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/20/AR2006032001590.html

We really need some CB depth. Walt Harris was a bust last year.

Bust is a bit harsh. Harris gave up some stuff, sure, but as a nickle he was better than a lot of the league. I don't really want him starting but had no real problem with him in the nickle.

How soon the fans forget the tackle to end Dallas's last offensive drive in the first game... :(

Archived