Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP - On GoodWIN, Cowart, Fletcher, Lloyd, et. al (3xMerged won't be a fourth)

fdarugar

I really hope we sign Goodwin. I think we can overcome the LB with current players/later FA pickups and the draft. I hope we use the 2nd round pick on a LB or CB. I think Oline depth is as important as CB depth. I am not as worried at filling the LB spot as I am about filling the Oline/CB depth. I think Williams will have an easier time filling the LB then filling the CB spot.

Just checked the Jets Greengang board. They've got a thread about Goodwin. He's getting mixed reviews.

PRO

I always thought Goodwin was a solid lineman for the Jets.

I was hoping they would re-sign him.

Nobody likes Goodwin really?

I think he did a good job filling in for injured players.

I agree. Goodwin is a great guy to have around for 2 reasons:

1) He can play every offensive line position. That's invaluable for a depth guy.

2) He won't command a lot of money to play all of those positions, considering how bloated the market is.

Plus, he has an easy nickname--Johnny B. Goodwin. What's not to like here?

CON

i wont lose any sleep. average at best

goodwin is awful he shouldn't be resigned, good riddance

Goodwin has been a BUST!

Goodwin's reaction on Monday night last season...

"Why is everyone running at me????"

IMO< average at best, we can do better with the draft.

Goodwin riddance!

1) He is a human turnstyle.

2) He's had four or five years to develop, but even this far into his career, he still sucks.

3) Any time he is on the field our offensive line is a liability.

Good riddance.

I said it before. Goodwin was a good backup who could hold his own while a starter was having a rest but when he had to start and play most of the game he was horrible.

Agree with you Fred

OL and CB are the two priorities I would have if I was coach of the Skins.

LB I am less worried about, We have some talent there with the young guns on the roster. I Look for Sykes to be our starting day WIL, along with a heavy dos of Clemmons.

OL and CB on the other hand... I really see the need for at least one viable FA nickle CB, Jimoah as dime is fine. Additionally we still need another FS. OL we need two, C/G comboe and a G/T combo that will be able to hold thier own when called on.

If I was an agent with a player in whom the Redskin's had expressed interest I would first let him visit all other teams who were interested. With their best offers in hand I would then take him to meet the Redskins. It just makes sense in order to get the max deal possible.

I wouldn't even schedule a trip to D.C., or admit that my player would consider playing in D.C., until after all other offers had been received. Because I wouldn't want to discourage or intimidate low revenue teams from bidding.

It may be true that Cowert and Fletcher don't want to play here for some reason, but I'm guessing that it is more likely that their agents are just playing the game.

Nickel and Dime aren't really even "coverages" so much as they are defensive formations or personnel packages. As others said, its 5 vs. 6 DBs. Typically 2 safeties and either 3 or 4 CBs, so the nickle typically has your #3 CB in addition to your base (2 safeties and 2 CBs) whereas the Dime has both your #3 and #4 CB (typically at the expense of removing a LB). Williams though sometimes like to bring in another safety instead of a CB, so calling it 5 v 6 DBs is probably the most accurate. From either package you can play different coverages - man to man, cover 2 zone, cover 3 zone, etc. Typically you'd have a Dime package only when its a real obvious passing situation and the other team has 3 or 4 WRs on the field, b/c for each DB you add you have to pull out a more run-oriented player like a DL or LB.

Come on though - ever play Madden? You should know this! :)

Bust is a bit harsh. Harris gave up some stuff, sure, but as a nickle he was better than a lot of the league. I don't really want him starting but had no real problem with him in the nickle.

How soon the fans forget the tackle to end Dallas's last offensive drive in the first game... :(

Yea, I thought Harris was good as a nickelback. He also made some tough tackles near the line of scrimmage. I was at the home opener against the Bears and was impressed with Harris' physical play. He was the same against Dallas. His main weakness was one-on-one, really, but he did everything else pretty well.

Why was the Goodwin thread merged with Lloyd? Two totally different subjects...

This is a single WP article discussing all of these players and we had THREE threads on it. The same article should be discussed only once.

This is a single WP article discussing all of these players and we had THREE threads on it. The same article should be discussed only once.

Just a note of help. As of 11:17AM this thread reads GOODMAN when in fact it should be GOODWIN. A search with the correct spelling does not pull it up...:logo:

Bust is a bit harsh. Harris gave up some stuff, sure, but as a nickle he was better than a lot of the league. I don't really want him starting but had no real problem with him in the nickle.

How soon the fans forget the tackle to end Dallas's last offensive drive in the first game... :(

Perhaps, but as a #2 CB he was a bust. That's what he played most of the season at.

One key play doesn't make up for tons of blown coverage throughout the season.

I'm glad Rogers is looking good so far.

Just a note of help. As of 11:17AM this thread reads GOODMAN when in fact it should be GOODWIN. A search with the correct spelling does not pull it up...:logo:

Thanks much. Though, a search of Goodwin would have pulled this thread up as a search, by default, scans the body of the thread as well as the thread title :).

Thanks much. Though, a search of Goodwin would have pulled this thread up as a search, by default, scans the body of the thread as well as the thread title :).

I usually select search title only in the advanced search menu to weed out the multitude of debris. That is why it did not pick up Goodwin...correct?

:cheers:

We really need some CB depth. Walt Harris was a bust last year.

I'm sick of the Harris hate. Yeah, he gave up some big plays, but so did Sean Taylor. You gonna call Taylor a bust?

Harris was huge in both Cowgirl games, and all-in-all played fairly well. I mean, he was a nickel CB for most of the year...a nickel CB is a nickel CB for a reason...you don't expect them to be all world. :2cents:

Evans probably wants to start....I'm sure he has an offer from us just like Clark did but is trying for more money and more starting potential....knowing the past its logical he'll sign in Cincy. :)

Exactly, but I just don't get it. Why would he visit the Saints? They have Charles Grant and Will Smith last time i checked. He has no chance of starting over those guys. I do think he's good enough to be a starter somewhere, and I wouldn't mind seeing him get the chance. As much as I'd like to keep him, like Art said, it's hard to see him getting any time with Carter, Daniels and Wynn around. I think he may provide a little more skills than Wynn, but the coaches didn't see it that way, and they know a lot more than I do.

Heck of an effort N.E. Skin pulling this back up to put this in. Though, because it's different news it can stand alone and likely will at some point tonight, so feel free to put it up yourself. You can be first :).

As for Evans, I'd love him back as deep depth, but, I can understand how he won't like falling as low as he is. Not a killer to lose your No. 4/5 DE and No. 5 DT, but, would be nice nonetheless to have him.

i still think he is a whole lot better than nic clemons on the outside and even better than killings and boschetti on the inside. i like his versatility.

Killings is a guy who battles you and though he has the worst body on the team in the locker room, I think his more natural play at DT makes him more valuable there, as does Boschetti's natural play. Now, Evans is a valuable interior player on obvious passing downs. Nic Clemons is an interesting guy. He has the type of ability you could almost develop into a real powerful player here, but, Evans is better. Nic's brother is the better option altogether on passing downs though.

Archived