Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Sean Taylor the best safety in the NFL?

skinshokies31

Right now, I don't believe he is the best. I believe, however, that by this time next year, he will be the best. Right now he still has a tendency to take poor angles from time to time, or go for a big hit rather than a pick.

We all know what Gregg Williams is capable of, and he's already helped Sean Taylor make the conversion from NCAA Football to NFL Football with flying colors. Sean Taylor is easily the most athletic safety in the league, and with Gregg Williams help he's only getting smarter and smarter. If he keeps the yellow flags off the field, and continues to improve his play, as we've seen it improve in his first 2 years, expect more big things out of Taylor.

We're having this discussion, and he's just finished his second year in the league. I think there is only one other safety in the league with the potential of Taylor, and that's Polamalu.

ST and Polumalu have the best "instincts" IMO of the newer age safeties. Ive alway been a huge fan of dawkins even if hes on the iggles but I just think hes lost his legs. One thing I hate the most though is how opposing teams fans and media just look at Sean as a thug gangbanger. To me hes just a quiet guy who plays within the system and can hit and cover the best of them, and just happened to defend his property.

(My quote button is not working...) Did he make the probowl? Are you serious dude? You are going to make an argument that ST is not in the top five based on the probowl? IT is all politics! Jon Jansen is top three easily in tackles and he did not make the probowl. Are you going to say he is not great?

I put ST at #4 right now - below Reed, Dawkins and Polamolu but he will out play Fawkins this year and maybe Polamolu,

From an objective point of view, is Roy Williams really out of the equation here?

His coverage skills suck in comparison to the other top safeties and he lacks real speed.

1. Ed Reed - Amazing in coverage, a solid tackler, and a big playmaker.

2. Troy Polamalu - Great instincts, can cover a lot of ground, and an excellent tackler.

3. Sean Taylor - One of the biggest hitters in the league, good hands, feared by WRs, and prone to making highlight reels.

4. Bob Sanders - Very good all-around safety.

(My quote button is not working...) Did he make the probowl? Are you serious dude? You are going to make an argument that ST is not in the top five based on the probowl? IT is all politics! Jon Jansen is top three easily in tackles and he did not make the probowl. Are you going to say he is not great?

I put ST at #4 right now - below Reed, Dawkins and Polamolu but he will out play Fawkins this year and maybe Polamolu,

Whoah, easy killer. Jansen is good, but not top 3 good...

man sean taylor aint the best saftey ed reed is but he will be in next year at this rate with adding a good DE who is projected 2 get 12 sacks in greg williams defense archeleta a line backer playin saftey like taylor throw up 560 lbs in 1.9 seconds which i learned on here no one is goin across the middle and not payin 4 it and with carlos rogers steppin it up and is also hittin which he proved last year in the cardnals game against bolden featured on nfl primtime top hits for the week forget which one sean springs having a good year and drafting a soldin cb 2 play dime

man sean taylor aint the best saftey ed reed is but he will be in next year at this rate with adding a good DE who is projected 2 get 12 sacks in greg williams defense archeleta a line backer playin saftey like taylor throw up 560 lbs in 1.9 seconds which i learned on here no one is goin across the middle and not payin 4 it and with carlos rogers steppin it up and is also hittin which he proved last year in the cardnals game against bolden featured on nfl primtime top hits for the week forget which one sean springs having a good year and drafting a soldin cb 2 play dime

I'm thinking Snyder/Gibbs will probably focus on the void at Nickel CB before they address Dime CB. Just a thought, though. ;)

Punctuation does wonders for everyone else's sanity. ;)

i think Polamalu is the most overrated safet in the game behind roy williams, ST is right behind ed reed but he's bigger and effing scarier, he will be #1 soon. btw i would have cried if we had taken winslow over him in the draft.

JROCKSTER77 - Jansen is not top 3? OK, who is then? He never gets enough credit. Rarely gives up a sack and only played most of the season with two broken thumbs.

I don't mind discussing it but explain who you think is better instead of leaving a smarmy comment. I'll give you respect when you give me respect.

JROCKSTER77 - Jansen is not top 3? OK, who is then? He never gets enough credit. Rarely gives up a sack and only played most of the season with two broken thumbs.

I don't mind discussing it but explain who you think is better instead of leaving a smarmy comment. I'll give you respect when you give me respect.

Walter Jones, Jonathan Ogden, Chris Samuels, Orlando Pace and Willie Roaf to name a few. Don't get me wrong, I love JJ and he is definitely one of the elite tackles in the league, but top 3 is quite a stretch. Unless of course you are referring to right tackles only, then I would say you would be able to make a case. He's easily the 3rd or 4th best RT in the game.

Didn't mean to be "smarmy," my apologies. I agree with you that JJ doesn't get enough credit, but top 3 tackle? Come on...

Well Jansen MIGHT be top 3 RIGHT tackles, he is certainly not in the top 3 of ALL offensive tackles.

Walter Jones and Willie Anderson were All-Pro, add Willie Roaf and that's a decent top 3 OTs. Orlando Pace is also ahead of Jansen. Jansen is probably the 2nd best OT on his own team...

No, Sean Taylor is not one of the top 5 safeties in the league...

Bob Sanders and Troy Polamalu were on the All-Pro team this year.

Ed Reed has won a defensive player of the year award recently.

Brian Dawkins has done it at a higher level for a longer period of time than Sean Taylor.

Roy Williams has been rookie of the year, to multiple pro bowls, AND voted to the All-Pro team.

Then you have Rodney Harrison, Donovin Darius, and Darren Sharper. All of whom you could argue have performed better than Sean Taylor.

Would I trade any of these guys for Sean Taylor? NO! But that doesn't mean Sean Taylor is better than them, it just means he has the POTENTIAL to be better than them. At the current time he is mostly inconsistent with flashes of brilliance. Until those flashes become the norm, he shouldn't be considered among the best...

1. Ed Reed, hands down. Heavy hitter and great coverage skills

2. Bob Sanders. Excellent cover skills and pretty good hitter

3. Dawkins/Taylor. I think it's a toss up here. Dawkins is probably better in coverage but Taylor is definitely a more imposing force on the field. ST's only been in the league for two seasons and has so far made it on athleticism alone. After being coached up by GW and the boys he'll most likely end up being one of the best ever.

4. Polamalu. Kept waiting for Troy to go off in the SB and IMO he never really did. Never does a game go by are you left asking where's ST.

****!

Great assessment.....I agree

Archived