Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Redskins RB Ever?

HoyaSkins28

Riggins until Portis gets a few more years under his belt. I just give Riggo the nod because he won the SB, and played in bigger games. But Portis will tbe one of the best RB's of all time by the time he's done in DC :)

What made Riggins great was that he did not have elite speed! He got all his yards running over people. He didn't have a bunch of long runs to pad his yard per rush average. He sometimes went several games without a run over 15 yards. He was a grinder that wore out defenses and ate up the clock. He earned every inch.

Pound for pound--it's Larry Brown.

I agree. Larry Brown. CP maybe in time but Larry Brown behnd the hogs line would've been pure insane.

Also he may not have been the best ever Redskin back but I loved his heart and north south running ability. Terry Allen.

When considering who's #1, I think you have to look at both individual statistics and team accomplishments during that time period. At this moment in time, its goes like this:

1. John Riggins

2. Earnest Byner

3. Larry Brown

4. Stephen Davis

5. Clinton Portis

If Portis takes us to a Super Bowl victory, then he moves up the list to #2. If he takes us to two Super Bowl victories, then he probably goes to #1. Riggins was a very good back during the regular season, but in the post-season he was simply unstoppable. Without him, we don't win in 1982 and we don't get there in 1983.

Riggo could always get the tough yard even when EVERYONE in the house knew he was going to get the ball. Man took the whole team on his back in 82 and almost singlehandedly won the superbowl.

Portis clearly has the potential for greatness but until he wins the superbowl, Riggo has my vote.

Southeast Jerome.

But seriously... Gotta go with Riggo for now. I believe Portis can bring home 2 Lombardi trophies in the next 6 years. And if he stays healthy, he has a legitimate shot at Most Yards Rushing All-Time. But a lot can happen, so you just never know.

John Riggins has 11,352 total rushing yds in 14 seasons. Clinton Portis has 5,930 in just 4 seasons. That's only a 5,422 yd difference. At his current pace, CP will pass Riggo in the middle of the season in 4 years. If CP only averages 1,200 yds/season, he'll pass Riggo in the middle of the 5th season from now (2010).

If CP averages 1,300 yds/season, he will pass Emmitt Smith as the NFL All-time Leading Rusher in the middle of his 14th season.

Archived