Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Any Extreme members have a reef fishtank setup? [Fresh water also discussed]

CHUBAKAH

Wow, I can’t believe with as big as we are, no one has ever started a thread about keeping tropical/sal****er fish. I have been in the hobby for about 35 years. First tank I ever had was a 55 gallon freshwater setup with a red belly piranha. [Father was a little off, which explains a lot to some of you] I had him around 5 years, when he passed away. He was not the best fish to have as he was pretty boring by himself. Pop’s had this great idea at the time to off the 55 gal and move up to a much larger tank. We got a 200 gal setup, and decided this time we would get a school of Piranha’s. Two years in to that and a ton of clean up work it was time for those fish to go.

At that time I was around 13 - 14 years old, and wanted to get salt water fish. Pops at that time didn’t want to have to do all the work that was involved with salt, so after some time I decided to keep African Cichlids. I have now been keeping Africans for 20 plus years. I’ve also been involved with a group out here in CA [PCCA] that studies the lakes, and everything to do with the aquatic life.

Two years ago I took on a project to try and keep some fish that no one has been able to keep alive in captivity. I had high hopes because of all of the studies I have read, and all the people I have talked to, and associated with over the last 20 years. I imported 75 fish direct from Africa. During shipment 15 of the fish in one bag arrived dead. [not a good sign already] In two years time I have lost all but one fish. Looking back I think I tried this because I was kind of bored with the hobby.

I decided about 6 weeks back to start to learn about Reef keeping. I am planning to convert my 100gal in to full blown reef tank with live corals and fish. I’ve done just a ton of reading and have decided that just like everything else, everyone has their own way of making a reef tank work, which brings me to my question.

I’m wondering if there are any other Extremeskins members that currently, or in the past have kept a reef tank, and have any stories/advice they would like to share as I start pretty much from the bottom up.

Hope I haven’t bored any of you with my short story, but I didn’t want any professionals thinking they were talking to a total noob in fish keeping, although I do kind of feel that way with all of the information out there on this killer hobby.

Thanks in advance group!

Chewy

I've always wanted to own an aquarium. Salt Water especially.

It's on my list of things to do, I just never seem to get around to it. :) Everyone tells me I should start with freshwater until I know what I'm doing... but how boring is that? Forget goldfish... I want some cool fish that glow. :)

On another note... I thought coral was endangered? Where do they harvest it?

A coworker of mine keeps a coral reef tank. She dumped an incredible amount of time, work, and money into it, and it doesn't seem to have provided much for her in the way of enjoyment.

I think she just likes difficult hobbies that few other people attempt. She was never really into the idea of actually having the salt water tank, as much as just making it work. So... not a good decision on her part.

The cost can be pretty high. I spoke to a guy today that sets them up for clients, and he told me he tells people it is about $100.00 a gallon which includes the tank complete with all the equiptment, live rock, corals, and fish.

I'm hoping I can cut that in half, which i'm starting to wonder if that is realistic.

I have African cichlids. I'd kept South American cichlids since I was a kid, just started keeping Africans the past couple of years. Lake Malawi cichlids are nice....colorful like a salt water tank, really hardy fish, cheaper, easier to keep.

I have had a FOWLR tank (fish only with live rock) for more than a year now, with no major costs or problems. If you complicate things by trying to contain so many variable ecosystems I was told, then it will spiral out of control quickly cash wise. I was leary at first, so I went 29 gal...my only regret.

I have currently 1 zebra cardinal fish, 2 spotted cardinal fish, 1 red hawkfish, 1 yellow Hawaiin tang, 1 watchman goby, 1 coral banded shrimp, 1 astaglia snail, and a few red and blue leg small crabs.

I started with live sand and live rock, and after the water got set, I put some damsel fish in to start the ammonia cycle. My small fish store owner was willing to let me exchange the starter fish later for some more peaceful and attractive fish. I do a 20%water change every 3-4 weeks or more if I think it needs it.

There are tons of ways to do this, and I encourage anyone to take it up. The corals and the fish are very stunning. check out aquaria central forums for a great bunch of info! Good Luck

I have had a FOWLR tank (fish only with live rock) for more than a year now, with no major costs or problems. If you complicate things by trying to contain so many variable ecosystems I was told, then it will spiral out of control quickly cash wise. I was leary at first, so I went 29 gal...my only regret.

I have currently 1 zebra cardinal fish, 2 spotted cardinal fish, 1 red hawkfish, 1 yellow Hawaiin tang, 1 watchman goby, 1 coral banded shrimp, 1 astaglia snail, and a few red and blue leg small crabs.

I started with live sand and live rock, and after the water got set, I put some damsel fish in to start the ammonia cycle. My small fish store owner was willing to let me exchange the starter fish later for some more peaceful and attractive fish. I do a 20%water change every 3-4 weeks or more if I think it needs it.

There are tons of ways to do this, and I encourage anyone to take it up. The corals and the fish are very stunning. check out aquaria central forums for a great bunch of info! Good Luck

What type of filter set up are you using?

a hang on the back penguin cartridge like the fresh water types . I am thinking about protein skimmers lately because of high Nitrate readings. But it has worked fine thus far. The rock and sand is really what filters the water. It is just mechanical for larger debris and uneaten food.

i was glad to see this thread, as i'm also very interesting in fishkeeping. when we moved into my apt this year i found that there was a 60 gallon fishtank mounted into the wall, and after much work i was able to stock it with some cool freshwater fish.

i'd also love to have a reef tank, but from the little ive read about them, i think theyre the most expensive and work intensive kind you can take on.

to the above poster who has a FOLWR tank, how do the sand and rock filter the water? what do you do about the fish poop?

Interesting, everything I have read says a protein skimmer is a must have, in fact the one I have been told to get is around a grand for my 100gal.

I'm curious if your live rock is growing in that size tank, and if so, what type of lights/light are you running?

NICE!

Is that real coral?

Thanks. All the rock in there is "live rock" meaning it has micro-organisms, bacteria and other good stuff that helps break down ammonia, nitrates, nitrites and other fish waste products. I've added and subtracted to it numerous times - but most of it is 6-7 years old and does almost all the filtration in the tank. All kinds of critters live in it.

What you can do is start w/ a little "live rock" from a fish store, a friend or mail order and add "dead rock". Over time the "live rock" will spread it's "good stuff" to the "dead rock"

In the tank pictures are some "softy corals": Mushrooms, polyps, caulerpa...etc.

Currently, I have a 35Gallon Hex in the playroom - 40 gallon breeder keeping extra live rock "live" in the basement w/ the 75G "reef" pictured above.

I'm in and out of the hobby.....more out than in right now b/c of that Hurricane we had a couple years ago really wiped my tanks out. We were w/o power for days - that was a really bad thing.

i was glad to see this thread, as i'm also very interesting in fishkeeping. when we moved into my apt this year i found that there was a 60 gallon fishtank mounted into the wall, and after much work i was able to stock it with some cool freshwater fish.

i'd also love to have a reef tank, but from the little ive read about them, i think theyre the most expensive and work intensive kind you can take on.

to the above poster who has a FOLWR tank, how do the sand and rock filter the water? what do you do about the fish poop?

The rock is live because of the organisms it contains, and the water that flows around and through it gets filtered by them.The little crabs are the poop getters! (tough life eh)The rock doesn't grow, but the algae on it will, and usually the rocks bring some visistors to your tank, like strange worms, and my current out growth of 11 baby starfish that appeared out of nowhere.

The rock is live because of the organisms it contains, and the water that flows around and through it gets filtered by them.The little crabs are the poop getters! (tough life eh)The rock doesn't grow, but the algae on it will, and usually the rocks bring some visistors to your tank, like strange worms, and my current out growth of 11 baby starfish that appeared out of nowhere.

had no idea about this, thats really cool. what sort of crabs are you talking about? i probably wouldnt start a reef tank until i have a good deal more experience and $, but it never hurts to learn things now!

I have decided to set up the tank in stages.

Filtration/live sand and rock/ then lights last. It is currently set up now, but as a fresh water system. I have been debating on which brand/ brands of equiptment to go with for the filter set up. I've pretty much decided to go with a sump/protein skimmer/ and pump to start, and then later as I introduce more corals I will add a couple more items like a chiller, and perhaps a Calcium Reactor.

I feel like the guy I am dealing with is only going to let me use the best of the best, which kind of has me turned off now, which brings me here for advice.

One of the guys I spoke with wanted me to just get rid of my tank because he feels I shouldn't have to drill my tank.

What kind of a setup do you use for your 75 Grumpy?

Good looking tank BTW!

I'm actually a moderator on a sal****er aquarium forum. I've had sal****er tanks for about 8 years. I'm not much on the SPS corals but love the softies, fish, inverts and other marine life. I even kept seahorses for a few years.

If you have any questions - fire away - I'd be happy to help.

http://aqualinkwebforum.com/groupee/forums

that forum rocks! ive only read a few articles, but it seems awesome. glad to find it! :applause:

can any of the more knowledgeable aquarists in this thread give me the lowdown on what the hell a refugium is? im trying to figure it out elsewhere, but its confusing me. im trying to figure out the different between and a refugium and a sump, and if they are sort of the same thing, and if you have one, do you need the other? whew. :notworthy

can any of the more knowledgeable aquarists in this thread give me the lowdown on what the hell a refugium is? im trying to figure it out elsewhere, but its confusing me. im trying to figure out the different between and a refugium and a sump, and if they are sort of the same thing, and if you have one, do you need the other? whew. :notworthy

This is a refugium:

55sump_right.jpg

It keeps live matter in it and produces food as well as filter your tank. After being out at a few shops this afternoon, I am convinced this is the way I am going to go.

A sump is more less the same kind of thing howeevr it does not have live matter in it, or produce food for your corals/fish, and other life.

This is your avarage sump I have come accross, which has a protein skimmer in it.

IMG_2760a.jpg

Archived