Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP - Redskins Trade Ramsey To Jets for a Draft Pick (Team Under Cap)

JimmiJo

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/17/AR2006031701264.html

Redskins Trade Ramsey To Jets for a Draft Pick

By Jason La Canfora

Washington Post Staff Writer

Saturday, March 18, 2006; Page E01

Quarterback Patrick Ramsey's tumultuous tenure with the Washington Redskins ended yesterday, when he was traded to the New York Jets for a sixth-round pick in next month's draft. Ramsey, 27, was considered a central part of the team's future just a few years ago, but he played sparingly the past two seasons under Coach Joe Gibbs.

The Redskins had sought at least a fourth-round pick for Ramsey, league sources said, but the quarterback market was flooded and few suitors materialized except for the Jets and Miami Dolphins......

"By trading Ramsey, the Redskins are roughly $2.5 million under the NFL's $102 million salary cap, according to a source with knowledge of the situation. The Redskins are still looking to add a linebacker, cornerback and an offensive lineman, and are working on a contract extension for newly acquired receiver Brandon Lloyd. They could create millions more in cap space by restructuring Brunell's contract, as well as those of offensive linemen Jon Jansen and Randy Thomas."

Click on link for full article...

in a market where Daunte Culpepper only yielded a #2 pick and Drew Brees left the Chargers for no compensation there really wasn't much demand for a guy like Ramsey that hadn't done much in two years :)

yes, the Redskins could have and probably SHOULD have traded Ramsey in 2004 to the Dolphins for that #1 pick they dangled before the draft and we then could have signed a veteran backup for Mark Brunell.

but we didn't.

and so we took what we could get 2 years later.

the way I see it, we already had collins signed, and they couldve waited until we released him and picked him up for nothing......we cut our losses thats all

Yep - I agree. They could've waited us out ala Trotter and Philly.

Doesn't really matter - our draft picks are pretty weak. Trust Joe to trade the picks for FA help.

I know, I know - plenty of the board will bemoan the lack of draft picks - GET OVER IT. As Coach Allen said "The future is now". :helmet:

we got about all we could at this point , once we signed our new 2nd/3rd string qb it was evident Ramsey would be released at some points which drops his trade value on top of the fact culpepper , while even coming off a major injury, only got a second rounder.

Could we have gotten more if we didn't signal our intention to release him by telling the world that Jason Campbell is taking on an expanded role, that we had granted his request to seek a trade, that we were looking at ways to get under the cap?

And oh yea, forget the fact that we gave up a former 1st/low 2nd round pick, was the 6th we got adequate compensation for the 1 million-plus roster bonus we paid him Wednesday at 12:01 AM?

Could we have gotten more if we didn't signal our intention to release him by telling the world that Jason Campbell is taking on an expanded role, that we had granted his request to seek a trade, that we were looking at ways to get under the cap?

And oh yea, forget the fact that we gave a former 1st/low 2nd round pick, was the 6th we got adequate compensation for the 1 million-plus roster bonus we paid him Wednesday at 12:01 AM?

Was there a roster bonus or not? I've heard that there was none...so....

Was there a roster bonus or not? I've heard that there was none...so....

I heard there was.

I heard originally he was due 2.88 million.

It was reported that this saves us only 1.6 miliion.

There may of course be other reasons his cap hit is not as great. Not an expert, don't even play one on TV.

I heard there was.

There may of course be other reasons his cap hit is not as great. Not an expert, don't even play one on TV.

However we have done this so many times that it is not a surprise, but still a disappointment. I do not understand why we manage our players and their futures often in the media. We would have done better to just shut up and say nothing.

there was a glut of quarterbacks on the market this offseason, guys who had starting experience and a few who took their teams to the postseason either in 2004 or 2005.

in that kind of market a guy who hasn't played much in 2 years is not going to garner a lot of interest.

why trade for Ramsey when you can get Culpepper, Brees, or even Jon Kitna........guys who have proven themselves over 16 game seasons?

last year a lot of guys thought we didn't get any value for Rod Gardner in a #6 pick. And then Gardner gets cut by Carolina halfway through the season. He wasn't even good enough to be their #3 receiver!

It's just possible that like so many other players that leave town Patrick Ramsey has been overrated by worried Redskins fans who fear he is going to be Elway for someone else.

I heard there was.

It only saves us 1.6 million because the rest of the cash is his prorated signing bonus .

Archived