Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP - For Patten, Signings Provide 'Motivation'

JimmiJo

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/14/AR2006031401546.html

For Patten, Signings Provide 'Motivation'

Veteran Wideout Has New Competition

By Howard Bryant

Washington Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, March 15, 2006; Page E08

As David Patten drove back to Virginia from his home in South Carolina last weekend, his cell phone began ringing repeatedly. One friend after another called with news that at first stung. The Redskins were bringing in another wide receiver. Antwaan Randle El, Pittsburgh's spectacular playmaker, was coming to the Washington Redskins.

Soon after came word of another blockbuster: Brandon Lloyd, the highlight-reel wide receiver from San Francisco, had joined the Redskins in a trade. This couldn't be.

Click on link for full article...

Who could question that?" Patten said of the acquisitions. "Randle El can do it all. Think of the mismatches we're going to create at the line of scrimmage. And Brandon? In the San Francisco game, he was the only one on their side making plays. He's got the potential to take over the league.

"I'll tell you, if I'm not the starter, then we'll have the strongest receiving corps in the league. Don't tell me what I can't do. I'll give it everything I've got, and if it's not good enough, I can hold up. I can live with that."

Wow, just became a huge David Patten fan after reading that. Got to love his attitude.

I hope he gets a chance to prove himself sometime this upcoming season. IMO he didn't get the greatest chance with Brunell only looking at Moss and Cooley. Plus he got injured.

But we'll see how the coaches use him in the playbook.

where're all the people that said "he's not a team player" and that we should cut him?

Obviously his team first attitude has won them over yes? Or should folks judge a person on one event or comment and never see how people can change, or what else there is to them?

Wow, just became a huge David Patten fan after reading that. Got to love his attitude.

One side of me agrees with you...

But the other side of me is wondering why Patten is acting like he's surprised. His production last year was crap, then he got injured. + he's no spring chicken.

And why would he even think to ask Joe Gibbs if he is indeed "going to play the best guy?". Has he learned anything since his time with the Redskins? :rolleyes: "Uh, no Dave, we're not going to play the best guys, we're going to play the guys with the big contracts. Just ask Lavar"

In a way, it is sort of insulting that he would even bring something like that up... coupled with his recent salary restructuring comments, I'm not sure about this guy.

Someone tell me I'm wrong.

One side of me agrees with you...

But the other side of me is wondering why Patten is acting like he's surprised. His production last year was crap, then he got injured. + he's no spring chicken.

And why would he even think to ask Joe Gibbs if he is indeed "going to play the best guy?". Has he learned anything since his time with the Redskins? :rolleyes: "Uh, no Dave, we're not going to play the best guys, we're going to play the guys with the big contracts. Just ask Lavar"

In a way, it is sort of insulting that he would even bring something like that up... coupled with his recent salary restructuring comments, I'm not sure about this guy.

Someone tell me I'm wrong.

I don't think he is being wholly reasonable, but who doesn't act like that in life? We all want to feel like we bring value to our organizations. Many who get the message that they are not sulk. At least Patten is sending the message that he is ready to compete...and isn't that what the game is all about?

I don't think he is being wholly reasonable, but who doesn't act like that in life? We all want to feel like we bring value to our organizations. Many who get the message that they are not sulk. At least Patten is sending the message that he is ready to compete...and isn't that what the game is all about?

Yea, but why talk about it in the paper...just go do it.

Who cares but I know one thing noone has 4 recievers on there team like we do. We have our number 1 reciever in Moss, 2 potential #1s in Randle El and Lloyd and a great #3 in Patten. We are really set at that position. Where as last year we had a #1 and thats it.

I see your point Jimmi... but RPR answers it well. :)

Yea, but why talk about it in the paper...just go do it.

I will concede I might be acting overly-harsh right now, ask me again some other time. I really haven't made up my mind about Patten yet.

wow, im surprised at the mixed reactions to this. After reading it, I thought it was actually very classy. Now this should be the end of it. Show your support in the team in the papers once (during adverse times in your personal career) and be done with it Hope we can spread the ball around so everyone can get there fair share. I'd love to see a high scoring offense coupled with a stout defense..... hell, throw in a couple of nice shiny SB rings and call it a day

Archived