Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do we really need to cut Patten?

refuze

He exceeded expectations as a #4 with New England two years ago, but he came to Washington basically to make a name for himself.

Right now, it looks like he's our 4th wideout. I'm not sure if he's thrilled about that but I think it's better off if he stays. After all, can he really get a better job elsewhere if he leaves?

We need as much depth as possible, and with him here, it's an insurance policy if someone goes down.

I do not know the cap implications if we release or trade him, but I do not think he really has a place here anymore.

I suspect he is pissed about being moved to the #4 WR spot after coming here to be a #2. He complained about not getting the ball when he was playing, I don't see him being good in the locker room now.

CPSTRETCH...How can you leave Johhny Whiteguy off of your list of recieving threats?

Patten may be history after June 1.

You have the top three of Moss, Lloyd and Randle El and then you have Thrash who returns punts and is a special teams gunner on the outside.

Patten is 32 years old and doesn't play special teams.

I don't think he has a role here in 2006.

Patten may be history after June 1.

You have the top three of Moss, Lloyd and Randle El and then you have Thrash who returns punts and is a special teams gunner on the outside.

Patten is 32 years old and doesn't play special teams.

I don't think he has a role here in 2006.

I don't think that Thrash is going to be returning punts any longer; do you?

The complexity of the offense that Al Saunders will help expand will require weapons of all kinds. Considering how lean the WR position was at the end of the season, one would certainly recognize that depth would be a smart conservative call right now. It's remarkable to me that this team can go from "desperately needing receivers" to "how can we use so many?". Santana had an undeniably fantastic season and had to face the frustration of being double and triple teamed towards the end. Those days are over. I truly believe that he will be a huge factor in the Redskins plan next year...but he wont have to carry the team in clutch situatons as often. Four potential threats at WR (some more than others) with Cooley, and and Clinton's grinding running game will break most teams backs next year if correctly orchestrated. I would like to see Patten stay healthy and make his bid to contribute to the tempest that will be the Redskins next year.

:logo:

Taylor Jacobs, Antonio Brown, and Jimmy Farris are the first on the chopping block. Then Thrash. Then Patten.

However, Patten's the #4 so there's no way he gets cut or traded and Thrash is likely to be kept on for his special teams play.

I agree 100%.:cheers:

I don't think that Thrash is going to be returning punts any longer; do you?

Thrash doesn't return punts. He returns kickoffs. He and Betts do. Antonio Brown returning punt. Now, we don't have a need for Brown (Randle-El). But we can still use Thrash and Betts on kickoffs.

Although, I'm aware there has been some rotation of those roles in the past - mainly due to circumstances.

http://washingtontimes.com/sports/20050304-121358-4055r.htm

"David Patten left New England for a five-year, $13 million deal including a $3.5 million signing bonus."

Given those numbers... I don't think it's imperative that the Redskins release the guy just for the sake of it. Those are reasonable numbers. And Thrash is making $1.1M this year.

If one WR goes down to injury this year... or Randle-El needs a break after work on special teams.... Patten is a nice luxury to have as a #3.

Thrash doesn't return punts. He returns kickoffs. He and Betts do. Antonio Brown returning punt. Now, we don't have a need for Brown (Randle-El). But we can still use Thrash and Betts on kickoffs.

Although, I'm aware there has been some rotation of those roles in the past - mainly due to circumstances.

My bad, I'm sure I meant kickoffs because I know that I heard Randle El say that he also wanted to return kickoffs.

Who ever said we are cutting Patten? We have plenty of room for him. The whole Idea of getting both Randle El and Lloyd is so that we don't have a repeat of last year.

1WR) Santana Moss (#1 Deep Threat)

2WR) Brandon Lloyd (Mid range Threat)

3WR) David Patten (Mid to Deep Threat)

XF) Antwaan Randle El (The X-Factor)

HB) Cris Cooley (underneath Threat)

Archived