Extremeskins

Peter King: Hail to Commish MERGED

hokie4redskins

New MMQB.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/03/13/mmqb/index.html

Hail to the commish

Tagliabue deserves HOF nod for reaching labor peace

(And Art Monk doesn't? Douche bag!!)

I know I could write about 320 different things today -- the raid-the-bank-vault opening weekend of free agency with teams a combined $530 million under the new salary cap, the breaking up of the Triplets (which we all knew was going to happen, even if Edgerrin James didn't), the brilliant first night of The Sopranos, the Redskins going after Lance Alworth (sorry, I guess I got confused because they're chasing every other sub-six-foot receiver in NFL history), the offer sheet of the highest salary for a guard in NFL history and the inevitable signing of Drew Brees with the Dolphins.

Redskins Tidbits:

You knew he was going to get a pot shot in the first paragraph!! :laugh:

Redskins going after Lance Alworth (sorry, I guess I got confused because they're chasing every other sub-six-foot receiver in NFL history),

And guess who is mentioned first in his top 10? Yep, the REDSKINS!! Big shocker! This guy is sounding more and more like Lenny P. Though, now he's fatter than Lenny. Maybe he's the NEW Lenny.

1. I think the Redskins are officially out of their minds. Washington dealt a third-round pick this year and a fourth next year to San Francisco for wideout Brandon Lloyd. This is Lloyd's NFL résumé: three seasons, 105 catches, 14.4 yards per catch, 13 touchdowns. He is a nice deep threat with good hands. But didn't the Redskins already have one of those guys in Santana Moss? In fact, by signing Antwaan Randle El on Sunday (what?!!!!!), the Redskins now have four of the same receiver at spots one through four on the wideout depth chart. Check this out:

Player Height Weight Age

Brandon Lloyd 6-0 192 24

Santana Moss 5-10 185 26

David Patten 5-10 190 31

Antwaan Randle El 5-10 192 26

I'm not saying you have to have receivers of different sizes and shapes, but with the exception of speed, the Redskins, over the last 12 months, have dealt for two receivers (Moss, Lloyd) and signed two others who all fit the same profile. Wouldn't someone on the staff there say, Hey, maybe it's a good idea to get a taller, more physical receiver to play against some of the moose we have at safety in this division, like Dallas' Roy Williams?

Is he friggin' kidding? We didn't a "taller, more physical receiver" to torch Roy "One biscuit away from a LB" Williams in Week 2, did we? :doh:

His lunacy never ceases to amaze.

11. Please do not use the “Quote” feature to quote huge blocks of text or pictures.

If you would like to respond to the contents of a particular post, simply quote the sentence or idea that you're commenting upon, not necessarily the entire post. It wastes space on the database and unnecessarily extends and clutters threads.

I think we all saw how Roy Williams did last year against small, fast receivers and it worked out just fine for us.

Wouldn't someone on the staff there say, Hey, maybe it's a good idea to get a taller, more physical receiver to play against some of the moose we have at safety in this division, like Dallas' Roy Williams?

This is my favorite line since it really seemed like our current WR had trouble with Roy Williams this past season... :rolleyes:

Edit: Damn Ashburn, you beat me to it! :cheers:

I think we all saw how Roy Williams did last year against small, fast receivers and it worked out just fine for us.
HAHAHAHA! Zing! :D

*Edit - I love how this is so obvious that 5 or 6 posts in a row basically said the same thing, yet Peter King can't figure this out?

And if Moss continues to put up #s like this year during his long and illustrious career and helps add a couple of Super Bowls to the Skins resume, he will probably not be worthy of a HOF induction either. Every time I read something this man (ok, I wanted to use a couple of explicatives instead of man) writes something about the Redskins, I wonder just exactly who does he think he is? Do his bosses at SI really have that much respect for a guy who is so totally Subjective when I thought journalists were supposed to remain objective?

Aw **** it this guy is an *** hole!!!!!

:finger: Peter King!!!

Player Height Weight Age

Brandon Lloyd 6-0 192 24

Santana Moss 5-10 185 26

David Patten 5-10 190 31

Antwaan Randle El 5-10 192 26

Looking back at "The Smurfs" and "The Fun Bunch" this actually looks very similar. I wonder what Gibbs deal is with small WR's.

I guess peter king doesnt remember the receiving core of the patriots during their superbowl years....if i remember correctly, their tallest receiver was 6 foot

Deon Branch: 5'9

David Patton 5'10

David Givens 6'0

Troy Brown 5'9

Damn, a Gargamel reference! :)

But seriously, I think Peter King is the one who has officially lost his mind. Not only do I echo what the rest of y'all have said already - speed kills, baby - but how this idiot doesn't see that we HAVE the answers in place already (hello, Cooley? Fauria?) is beyond me. Additionally, he and his ilk are all over the jocks of other teams when their wideouts are smallish (remember how scrappy and how much heart Coles and Chrebet had?) but criticizes us for our guys?

And might I also add, consult the following stats for the 3 primary WRs on the 2006 Superbowl champion Steelers:

Antaawn Randle El 5'10", 192

Hines Ward 6'0" 205

Cedrick Wilson 5'10" 183

an even more detailed look at the top 11 receivers last year shows only 2 of the 11 top receivers showing anywhere near a considerable height advantage over the Redskins free agent signings.

Bottom line is we signed young potentially starbound wideouts to reasonable contracts if the production we expect from them is there.

We have leverage to cut Patten and/or Jacobs this summer as well and that should put a spur in one or both there asses to work harder or look for other work.

We have engaged one of the premier offensive minds to orchestrate our offsensive packages.

Speculation is what fat asses like King and Pasta are paid for but there agenda is clear when assessing the Redskins. Screw both of them...

1 Steve Smith WR, CAR 103 1563 15.2 97.7 80 12 1 0

2 Santana Moss WR, WAS 84 1483 17.7 92.7 78 9 2 1

3 Chad Johnson WR, CIN 97 1432 14.8 89.5 70 9 1 0

4 L. Fitzgerald WR, ARI 103 1409 13.7 88.1 47 10 0 0

5 Anquan Boldin WR, ARI 102 1402 13.7 100.1 54 7 2 1

6 Torry Holt WR, STL 102 1331 13.0 95.1 44 9 2 1

7 Joey Galloway WR, TAM 83 1287 15.5 80.4 80 10 0 0

8 Donald Driver WR, GNB 86 1221 14.2 76.3 59 5 0 0

9 P. Burress WR, NYG 76 1214 16.0 75.9 78 7 1 1

10 M. Harrison WR, IND 82 1146 14.0 76.4 80 12 0 0

11 Terry Glenn WR, DAL 62 1136 18.3 71.0 71 7 0 0

1). 5’9” 185

2). 5’10” 190

3). 6’1” 192

4). 6’3” 225

5). 6’1” 220

6). 6’0” 190

7). 5’11” 200

8). 6’0” 190

9). 6’5” 225

10). 6’0” 190

11). 5’11” 195

Wouldn't someone on the staff there say, Hey, maybe it's a good idea to get a taller, more physical receiver to play against some of the moose we have at safety in this division, like Dallas' Roy Williams?[/i]

See how he says "we" in the above paragraph. He thinks he's still part of the Giants organization! **** that fat coffee-drinking ****!

Damn, a Gargamel reference! :)

But seriously, I think Peter King is the one who has officially lost his mind. Not only do I echo what the rest of y'all have said already - speed kills, baby - but how this idiot doesn't see that we HAVE the answers in place already (hello, Cooley? Fauria?) is beyond me. Additionally, he and his ilk are all over the jocks of other teams when their wideouts are smallish (remember how scrappy and how much heart Coles and Chrebet had?) but criticizes us for our guys?

And might I also add, consult the following stats for the 3 primary WRs on the 2006 Superbowl champion Steelers:

Antaawn Randle El 5'10", 192

Hines Ward 6'0" 205

Cedrick Wilson 5'10" 183

Good points JCB.

Archived