Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If we could do it again, Portis or Jamal Lewis?

Joe Gibbs II

Now before you all say anything bad, I love Portis and am glad we made the decision to get him. He has done awesome things for the franchise and single handedly carried us to the playoffs. But I was thinking with Jamal Lewis' current situation and how he is on the market... what if this was 2004 before we got Clinton.

When Clinton got here he was undersized for his role in the offense and bulked up this year and became what we wanted from him, but if you look at some numbers you may think what may have happened.

If Jamal was on the market back then, would we try to have gotten him?

He is 5'11 (same height as clinton) but weighs 245lbs (more of a gibbs like runner). Thats over 20 more lbs than clinton now. In their combines they both ran roughly 4.3, which is extremely fast.

The only difference between them is age and probably blocking which Clinton improved a lot upon here. Either would have been great for us, but this idea just got me thinking about what may have happened.

EDIT: The question isnt about who to have now, its who should we have gotten in 04.

no question about it. portis.. a guy who comes from college and has 2 1500 yds season and is not even polished as a rb yet. now in washington has become a complete rb. he will more polished as the years come. lewis has been suspected for drugs, had a major injury. NO NO NO

PORTIS.

I think the focused Jamal Lewis that ran for 2K yards was a better fit for our style of offense. But the Jamal Lewis that lays down like a chump and doesn't how to block I want to keep as far away from my team as possible.

Portis on the other hand never gives less than 100 percent and he can run and that will only get better this season with the addition of more offensive threats and Al Saunders.

Lewis had a few very impressive years....record year in one....but his last decent year was over 2 years ago.

If you saw ANY Ravens games last year, he looked so horrible (tipy-toeing into the hole instead of running through in the past) that Chester Taylor took over as the starter.

Portis has done everything the Skins asked of him (change his style, put on some weight, become a team leader, block downfield).......how can you not pick Portis knowing what we know.

Plus, no SE Jerome and the personalities (or even Johnny Whiteguy :( ) had CP not been here.

Im not sure if you guys get this, but I was talking about before we got Portis, so this would be right after the 2000 yard season by Jamal.

I wrote about this before; and thought that Lewis was a better fit. I still think he would do better, running the ball, than portis. However, Protis brings too many other things to the table. He's a true leader and has all then intangibles that I want in a player. So, back then...it Lewis...Now, it's Portis.

If I was in the redskins FO right now, I'd look at the fact that absolutly nobody has made a move for Jamal Lewis. I'd have no problem shipping out Betts and using Jamal Lewis as a changed of pace back. Remember, it wasn't too long ago that Lewis almost broke the single season rushing record. Change of scenary can do wonders, ya know. :)

im in the minority here, but Lewis. I like Portis, especially after this past season, and our o-line should only get better, key word should. Anyways, Lewis would have been like the Riggo of today, a bit independant, but got the job done. I think Lewis could have had better numbers in our offense.

However, I am glad we have Portis, I love his personality, and I hope he has great seasons with us.

Archived