Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I thought Lavar was OVERRATED?

dahurt002

I am still a little hurt by the departure of Lavar, still confused on how, and who's to blame but one thing that I do know is that ever since LA became a free agents all the talks about Lavar being a Overrated Freelancer has disappeared- WHAT GIVES- everytime we have a player he is overrated, he is bad because of this, he is bad because of that, but when that player leaves the skins is he is a great pick up

I watched "Around the Horn" yesterday and some people were calling him a top dollar free agent, these were the same people who called him overrated,but as soon as he leaves the skins he becomes a Great Player.

This is getting old -(Coles, Smoot, Bailey, now Lavar)- YET SOME HOW WE ARE BETTER WITHOUT THEM!

I've taken this from the here http://dallascowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49511

Posted by Yakuza Rich

Here’s just a look at the Skins stats last year when Lavar was starting and when he wasn’t starting:

LAVAR STARTING (11 GAMES)

87.9 rushing yards allowed per game

3.7 yards allowed per carry

1.18 fumbles recovered per game

1.36 interceptions per game

1 INT per 26.7 pass attempts defended

1 TD allowed per 36.5 passing attempts defended

2.72 sacks per game

1 sack per 13.37 passing attempts defended

6.4 passing yards allowed per attempt.

55.6% completion allowed

68.7 QB rating allowed

LAVAR NOT STARTING (7 GAMES)

131.7 rushing yards allowed per game

4.8 rushing yards allowed per carry

0.28 fumbles recovered per game

0.43 interceptions per game

1 INT per 66.3 passing attempts defended

1 TD allowed per 39.8 passing attempts defended

1.43 sacks per game

1 sack per 19.9 passing attempts defended

5.9 passing yards allowed per passing attempt

53.8% completion percentage allowed

73.2 QB Rating allowed

Note that when Arrington wasn’t starting, Washington faced Kyle Orton in his first start ever at FedEx, Alex Smith in his first start ever at FedEx, and the Broncos in a torrential downpour.

you look at those numbers and it seems he played a big part in the defence. I saw a post a couple days ago that detailed LA's production over the last three years and it wasnt pretty. He personally diddnt do much as a result of injuries and playing time.:2cents:

Don't forget that during quite a few games that Lavar wasn't starting, either was C. Griffin and Salavea was playing injured, and I'd attribute much of the run stoppage to him and our line, not Lavar.

Also for atleast one of those games S. Taylor wasn't playing.

Don't buy into all the numbers, Lavar is a good linebacker but he is certainly not worth the cost to the redskins; even if we were in perfect cap shape. We could sign a linebacker that will fit our system a lot cheaper than lavar and still have room for another player.

I'll miss Lavar, but i'm not losing any sleep over him leaving (that will start when he's a cowboy/eagle/giant)

STLT

These stats are crap. They would have to be broken down by his actual downs played not "starts" to mean anything at all. He makes a couple of big plays and stays in the minds of all who adore him or hate him. Hes a great athlete, no mistake about that, he will have to choose his opportunity wisely.

I am still a little hurt by the departure of Lavar, still confused on how, and who's to blame but one thing that I do know is that ever since LA became a free agents all the talks about Lavar being a Overrated Freelancer has disappeared- WHAT GIVES- everytime we have a player he is overrated, he is bad because of this, he is bad because of that, but when that player leaves the skins is he is a great pick up

I watched "Around the Horn" yesterday and some people were calling him a top dollar free agent, these were the same people who called him overrated,but as soon as he leaves the skins he becomes a Great Player.

This is getting old -(Coles, Smoot, Bailey, now Lavar)- YET SOME HOW WE ARE BETTER WITHOUT THEM!

Glad to you read your opinion on the matter. All opinions are valued for sure. I'm just not sure that you couldn't have put in one of the many existing LaVar threads.

hey I can play the stat game too look Lavar played last year 13 games in the regualr season . Chriss Clemons played 14 games ...who do you think had more sacks more forced fumbles (they both had the same number of defeletced passes.)

The point of this . Numbers dont tell you everything and although saying the defence was better with Arrington playing than not might be true that cannot be used to say Arrington was the reason the Defence was playing better, there are just too many other factors to take into account .

I am still a little hurt by the departure of Lavar, still confused on how, and who's to blame but one thing that I do know is that ever since LA became a free agents all the talks about Lavar being a Overrated Freelancer has disappeared-

It hasn't disappeared. He's still an overrated freelancer, and if he goes to an NFL east team, we will take advantage of that twice a year. Teams do game plan for Lavar, they design plays to use his freelancing to their benefit.

Don't forget that during quite a few games that Lavar wasn't starting' date=' either was C. Griffin and Salavea was playing injured, and I'd attribute much of the run stoppage to him and our line, not Lavar.

Don't buy into all the numbers, Lavar is a good linebacker but he is certainly not worth the cost to the redskins; even if we were in perfect cap shape. We could sign a linebacker that will fit our system a lot cheaper than lavar and still have room for another player.

I'll miss Lavar, but i'm not losing any sleep over him leaving (that will start when he's a cowboy/eagle/giant)

STLT[/quote']

:applause::applause:

Well said sir...the "Stats" also don't take into account the critical mistakes that LAvar did because of his freelancing...Example second half of Seattle game.

hey I can play the stat game too look Lavar played last year 13 games in the regualr season . Chriss Clemons played 14 games ...who do you think had more sacks more forced fumbles (they both had the same number of defeletced passes.)

The point of this . Numbers dont tell you everything and although saying the defence was better with Arrington playing than not might be true that cannot be used to say Arrington was the reason the Defence was playing better, there are just too many other factors to take into account .

again bravo....

on a side note ...Stats don't express how important another player was to the skins....ART MONK....that man was a team Hero...and should be in the.....sorry wrong thread..I'll MOnk rant somewhere else.

Lavar is overrated. He was overrated before we released him, and he still is. Don't fret. He may still get overpaid by another team - but that's not going to make him a better player. He's not our problem anymore. Start concerning yourself with all the GOOD free agents we are going to get with that 4 million.

I've taken this from the here http://dallascowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49511

Posted by Yakuza Rich

Here’s just a look at the Skins stats last year when Lavar was starting and when he wasn’t starting:

2.72 sacks per game

55.6% completion allowed

68.7 QB rating allowed

1.43 sacks per game

73.2 QB Rating allowed

Note that when Arrington wasn’t starting, Washington faced Kyle Orton in his first start ever at FedEx, Alex Smith in his first start ever at FedEx, and the Broncos in a torrential downpour.

Let's not forget that Arrington had six starts, played only half the season, only the first two down of each series, and finished with 53 tackles-- all while he was still not at full strength.

"Champ was rarely considered the best CB before he left the Redskins."

are you serious? well......apparently someone n Denver was willing to wager with the dollar sign that they knew better than you. so...who did you speak to among NFL GMs, personnel departments and coaching staffs to settle upon this pov?

Don't forget that during quite a few games that Lavar wasn't starting' date=' either was C. Griffin and Salavea was playing injured, and I'd attribute much of the run stoppage to him and our line, not Lavar.

STLT[/quote']

I agree....after seeing those numbers I too was thinking about the other defensive players who were also out during that time....not to mention, the whole D unit really picked it up near the end of the season.....

Lavar was and is great during times on the field.....I think his "me" attitude was what didn't fit within Gibb's system.

Posted by Yakuza Rich

2.72 sacks per game

55.6% completion allowed

68.7 QB rating allowed

1.43 sacks per game

73.2 QB Rating allowed

All of that has MUCH more to do with a healthy Griffin being out of the lineup. When Griffin was out we went up against some of the best running backs in the game so the stats were inflated.

Note #1: The Bears had 41 yards rushing that day.

Note #2: The 49ers had 72 of their 140 yards rushing on one play and it was run directly at Lavar.

Note #3: Lavar didn't start in 8 games not 7. Not sure how that will affect the numbers.

Note #4: The games Lavar didn't start we had the exact same record as the games he started, 5-3.

Not trying to bash Lavar just your reasoning.

He was our third best linebacker. So I won't miss him at all with that salary he had.

Bingo! He was overrated at that price tag. I'm excited to see the players we sign/re-sign with the money we get back by letting him go. And I believe he truly didn't want to be here.

Don't want to be a jerk, but there are already a few Lavar threads posted. Please remember to use the search button, as the mods (and others) are having a big problem with this. Unfortunately us younger guys are catching most of the blame, and usually it is us that are behind it. Lavar, by the way, is overrated in some aspects, and underrated in other aspects. However, he is gone and only time will tell what his impact will be elsewhere.

All of that has MUCH more to do with a healthy Griffin being out of the lineup. When Griffin was out we went up against some of the best running backs in the game so the stats were inflated.

Griffin was out for the first Eagles game, the Raiders game, and the first Bucs game.

All three of those games where games that Lavar started. If anything, that further proves the impact that Lavar had as a starter as if Griffin would've played those games, they'd likely make the stats the defense had during Lavar's starts look even better.

I'm actualy the Yakuza Rich that posted those stats over at Cowboyszone message board.

For me, I think one poster said it best here. Good player? Indeed. Great player? No way.

It wouldn't break my heart if Dallas didn't go after him, but I'd still be pretty satisfied if they did. They need a LOLB and I think Lavar could fill that void.

I don't blame Snyder for taking the buyout and getting out of the contract quicker. I think if these stats show anything, it's that the Skins had better find somebody much better than Warrick Holdman to take over that spot. Then again, that might not be too hard to do.

Rich........

Archived