Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: Snyder, Redskins just doing business

bubba9497

Its simple economics here. If Snyder can raise the price, while still selling out every game, he gets the same amount of tickets sold, but at a higher price. And yes every game will be sold out, we all KNOW how long the waiting list is. As a businessman its a very normal move.

First, I have NEVER purchased a beer at any game I've ever attended. I use the same money to have a six-pack in the back seat. But, there actually is a good reason a single beer should cost that much. If you lower the price to price points MOST people would enjoy, you'd have more activity in your area with vendors, distracting from the game. You'd have constant noise and activity passing money and beverage back and forth.

More importantly, you'd have more drunk souls. It's not an easy call to make to get hammered when you're going $35 for a six-pack. So, you maintain something of a safe, friendly environment by keeping the drunk count a wee bit lower :).

Sorry Art, but your wrong on this one. I don't think people really care about the "activity" in thier area. They do it at baseball games and I've vever heard anybody complain about "activity" in thier area. It's part of the live game experience. Vendors yelling hot dogs! get your hot dogs here! Beer!, cold beer here! That's part of the thrill of being at the stadium. And what would be your defence for $5.00 sodas? $4.00 potato chips?

When I go to a game, I'll do my drinking and most of my eating before going in, but when you have a child or two (or more), they get real thirsty all the time which means I've got to get out of my seat, missing part of the game to get maybe a couple of sodas and a beer and maybe a $4.00 hot dog. That's $21.00 for round one, minimum.

Maybe they should do like it like RFK at the baseball games. You can bring your own food and sodas but no beer. You have to buy that from the vendors and it's $2.00 cheaper.

I love my Redskins and I thank God we have Dan Snyder as an owner but it shouldn't cost over $200.00 to watch a football game, That's gouging. Yes I know, I have a choice. That's why I only attend one game a year.

I guess I can do all the complaining I want and it will not change things. Beer, sodas, hot dogs, chips and parking(is it still $25.00 and are you allowed to walk to the stadium yet?) will keep going up. It's going to get to the point where I will not be able to take my daughter just once a year anymore. I guess I wouldn't have to worry about it if I had a press pass. That's not a knock on you. Just go to a game one time and pay the parking, game ticket, sodas (and at least 1 beer), and a couple of hot dogs and then tell me(us) how much it cost you that day and times that by 8 (add 2 more if you count pre season).

I'm not harping on you Art, but sometimes being up in that press box can get you disconnected from reality.

It is just business. There will never be a fan boycott because for every fan who gets discouraged by increases, there are at least three who will jump on the opportunity to get season tickets. It is simple supply and demand. As long as the demand outnumbers the supply, Snyder will keep raising prices. If I remember correctly, the team was not profitable when Snyder purchased it and he doubled revenues in 5-6 years which was unheard of. The guy knows what he is doing and unfortunately when you try to put the best product out on the market, it is going to cost money.

As expected the usual suspects are defending Danny. That's funny.

All I have to say is I want to apologize to the fans about the parking costs. Last season I and other fans demanded more port-a-jons. We got them but apparently the cost of them is being recouped this season. I would bet that we go back to the lack of jons too.

Also, I sure hope that we see those NEW TV SCREENS with all this money. Clearly all this money should help accomodate NEW TV SCREENS are the stadium. What say you Danny boy?

And, the usual suspects are bashing Snyder.

The point here is no one is defending Snyder, in particular, but the concept of a free market system kind of uniquely American. The market will bear what it will bear. It is GREAT to see individuals exercise their rights NOT to pay more. It is also great to see a business make money, especially when so much is given back to the people.

If you prefer a different system that's your problem. No one else has to share it.

Sorry Art, but your wrong on this one. I don't think people really care about the "activity" in thier area. They do it at baseball games and I've vever heard anybody complain about "activity" in thier area. It's part of the live game experience. Vendors yelling hot dogs! get your hot dogs here! Beer!, cold beer here! That's part of the thrill of being at the stadium. And what would be your defence for $5.00 sodas? $4.00 potato chips?

When I go to a game, I'll do my drinking and most of my eating before going in, but when you have a child or two (or more), they get real thirsty all the time which means I've got to get out of my seat, missing part of the game to get maybe a couple of sodas and a beer and maybe a $4.00 hot dog. That's $21.00 for round one, minimum.

Maybe they should do like it like RFK at the baseball games. You can bring your own food and sodas but no beer. You have to buy that from the vendors and it's $2.00 cheaper.

I love my Redskins and I thank God we have Dan Snyder as an owner but it shouldn't cost over $200.00 to watch a football game, That's gouging. Yes I know, I have a choice. That's why I only attend one game a year.

I guess I can do all the complaining I want and it will not change things. Beer, sodas, hot dogs, chips and parking(is it still $25.00 and are you allowed to walk to the stadium yet?) will keep going up. It's going to get to the point where I will not be able to take my daughter just once a year anymore. I guess I wouldn't have to worry about it if I had a press pass. That's not a knock on you. Just go to a game one time and pay the parking, game ticket, sodas (and at least 1 beer), and a couple of hot dogs and then tell me(us) how much it cost you that day and times that by 8 (add 2 more if you count pre season).

I'm not harping on you Art, but sometimes being up in that press box can get you disconnected from reality.

The Washington Redskins are not a non profit organization...Dan Snyder's job is to make money to field a better team/product...If he is losing money by dropping ticket prices or prices for refreshments, none of us on this board is gonan help foot his bill...it is not personal, it is business.

The Washington Redskins are not a non profit organization...Dan Snyder's job is to make money to field a better team/product...If he is losing money by dropping ticket prices or prices for refreshments, none of us on this board is gonan help foot his bill...it is not personal, it is business.

I understand that and I know I have a choice, which I excersise. And I know that there are 50,000 people ready to take my place but it's still gouging. C'mon man, $35.00 to park your car? I think we are already footing the bill.

C'mon man, $35.00 to park your car? I think we are already footing the bill.

Since parking passes regularly sell on ebay for $50 and up per game, $35 is not bad. One could argue that they should go for market prices, which would be the ebay $50.

Same princiiple with the seats. I realize that if you are not a basketball fan, you don't care what the Wizards charge. But, they just raised their top GA price to $175 per game. And the arena isn't full. The Redskins have thousands waiting for tickets, yet only took the price to $99. And the Saints just upped their top GA price that was $79 to $150. Sounds like the Skins are showing restraint!

Since parking passes regularly sell on ebay for $50 and up per game, $35 is not bad. One could argue that they should go for market prices, which would be the ebay $50.

Same princiiple with the seats. I realize that if you are not a basketball fan, you don't care what the Wizards charge. But, they just raised their top GA price to $175 per game. And the arena isn't full. The Redskins have thousands waiting for tickets, yet only took the price to $99. And the Saints just upped their top GA price that was $79 to $150. Sounds like the Skins are showing restraint!

I frankly don't understand the NBA's business model - which seems geared to NOT having sellouts - but it seems to work for them.

I understand that and I know I have a choice, which I excersise. And I know that there are 50,000 people ready to take my place but it's still gouging. C'mon man, $35.00 to park your car? I think we are already footing the bill.

Stop complaining. Snyder has a monopoly over the product "Washington Redskins". In such a case you are going to pay higher prices at a monopoly. Snyder will charge his maximum price that will earn him the most profit while maintaining a large demand for the product. If he were to charge $300 per ticket and $100 for parking, chances are he would not be selling out Fed Ex Field. This is why he can charge prices that are being charged.

On the other hand, he is just one supplier of many in the product category "Entertainment". This is where the choice comes in to pay the money for his entertainment product or to spend your money on other entertainment products.

It is not gouging if there are other options.

It's still GOUGING! And I'm sorry. Nothing personal, but I just can't take a 16 year old explaining economics to me very seriously.

Can you quantify that statement because I find it intriguing?

Do you not follow the Redskins well enough to know Snyder spends actual cash at a rate so high as to cause other league owners to attempt to limit his abilities? That money goes into the team we love, used for that we love, of benefit to us. The money to pay for the highest paid coaching staff in the world is giving back. Spending over $100 million to complete the stadium he purchased is giving back to us.

Snyder makes money. He should. All businessmen should. He's not running the organization for free. As long as he continues giving back to us in the way we all see and recognize and LAUD him for, it's likely he will be able to inspire people to continue paying for it. If he ever is seen to pocket the money and horde it, you can bet, people will be very hard pressed to agree to pay for it if the sole benefit is deemed to be Snyder's and Snyder's alone.

Stop complaining. Snyder has a monopoly over the product "Washington Redskins". In such a case you are going to pay higher prices at a monopoly. Snyder will charge his maximum price that will earn him the most profit while maintaining a large demand for the product. If he were to charge $300 per ticket and $100 for parking, chances are he would not be selling out Fed Ex Field. This is why he can charge prices that are being charged.

On the other hand, he is just one supplier of many in the product category "Entertainment". This is where the choice comes in to pay the money for his entertainment product or to spend your money on other entertainment products.

It is not gouging if there are other options.

First of all, I'll complain as much as I want and if you have a problem with that, we can discuss it at another time. Second, I wasn't complaining. Just stating the facts. That's what this board is here for. You can critique me all you want, but please don't tell me what I can or cannot do. That's the mods job. Not yours.

Kingfish,

Don't pay. It's astounding to me fans don't grasp this. I haven't purchased a beer at the stadium since Snyder bought the team. I refuse to pay that tremendous markup. I'll never pay it. If fans joined me in that view, the price would fall until it came to a price fans would pay. Same with parking. Same with tickets. Take public transportation to the games, refuse to pay for parking. Make YOUR statement with your pocket book.

Open threads here asking people to join you. Form a group of concerned fans who protest this behavior. Get enough to join you and the team, as any business, will listen to what you have to say. But, you don't want to do that. You want to be able to drive to the games, park your car in the front row, drink brew and leave with no traffic for a $25 night out. It doesn't work that way.

This is STILL America. The market will bear what it will bear. Always. Forever. Beautifully. Revolt and prices will come down. It's that simple. Don't, and they will rise to meet the market threshold.

Then don't park...Take the subway and walk from there...plain and simple.

Kingfish,

Don't pay. It's astounding to me fans don't grasp this. I haven't purchased a beer at the stadium since Snyder bought the team. I refuse to pay that tremendous markup. I'll never pay it. If fans joined me in that view, the price would fall until it came to a price fans would pay. Same with parking. Same with tickets. Take public transportation to the games, refuse to pay for parking. Make YOUR statement with your pocket book.

Open threads here asking people to join you. Form a group of concerned fans who protest this behavior. Get enough to join you and the team, as any business, will listen to what you have to say. But, you don't want to do that. You want to be able to drive to the games, park your car in the front row, drink brew and leave with no traffic for a $25 night out. It doesn't work that way.

This is STILL America. The market will bear what it will bear. Always. Forever. Beautifully. Revolt and prices will come down. It's that simple. Don't, and they will rise to meet the market threshold.

Exactly. You are not going out shopping at the mall...it is a football game.

The redskins over the last 5 years are the number # 1 team in the league in dead cap money. If the skins FO concentrate on lowering the dead cap figure instead of raising prices, they would have the extra money they would need.

I don't agree with this price raising at all.

And, the usual suspects are bashing Snyder.

The point here is no one is defending Snyder, in particular, but the concept of a free market system kind of uniquely American. The market will bear what it will bear. It is GREAT to see individuals exercise their rights NOT to pay more. It is also great to see a business make money, especially when so much is given back to the people.

If you prefer a different system that's your problem. No one else has to share it.

You mean like new big screens? It would be nice to see someone here start a petition for new screens. Afterall, if we are paying to go to a state of the art facility, we should expect one. Fedex is not one right now with those analogs.

Who could argue that? Only someone in the Skins organization the stood to profit from it could argue that. Ask any ticketholder on here if they think $35 for parking is excessive and I bet that they will tell you that it is.

That seems to be the mindset of the whole organization and it is sad. $50 is a SCALPED Ebay price....just as selling a Tailgate Club membership is a form of scalping your own GA tickets. If you gave TC members the "option" of continuing their season ticket account without the Tailgate Club you'd have a renewal rate of less then 10% for TC. Andyman nailed it......the Skins see the ticketholders making cash on Ebay and they think that they are entitled to a cut of that. Why should anyone else be able to profit from the demand when we can realize the revenue for ourselves is how it works....

You mean like new big screens? It would be nice to see someone here start a petition for new screens. Afterall, if we are paying to go to a state of the art facility, we should expect one. Fedex is not one right now with those analogs.

Did you wipe your nose after this? Sheesh guy. I'll take Gibbs, Bugel, Burns, Breaux, Hixon, Williams, Saunders, Blache, Lindsey, Gray, etc., over screens. Would I like screens to be crisper and replays to be more readily available? You bet.

Would I like it if after the Redskins score and we're singing Hail to the Redskins if they wouldn't cut over the top of that, killing the momentum and excitement with talk of sponsors? Yeppers. I've even said so. I'm not foolish enough to think it matters alone.

I'm not passionate enough about it to form my own support group to force changes. You seem to be. Have at it brother. Start a "Demand digital screens and systems at FedEx" thread. Get people excited. Make it something the team can't ignore. You have that ability here. They read here. Do it.

But, don't expect because you aren't happy the team should respond. Inspire people to join you. That's what we're here for.

Kingfish,

First, Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate that. Okay, No metro to the stadium (or is it finished?) The only buses going to the stadium are from the $35.00 parking lot. Those are the only two points that I have an argument with at this moment. Prices are high and nothing that I do or say is going to change that. I understand the whole concept of capitalism and America (I was born in Washington, DC). I was just stating the facts as I see them and I tend to think of it as gouging. That doesn't mean I dislike Dan Snyder or I'll ever turncoat on my Redskins (got a Redskin logo tatoo on my left arm. Stuck with this team for life).

I guess you could say this is my way of revolting. I'm guessing Dan Snyder reads these boards once in a while and maybe, if enough people talked about it, we could get some type of reaction from him. That's all.

Did you wipe your nose after this? Sheesh guy. I'll take Gibbs, Bugel, Burns, Breaux, Hixon, Williams, Saunders, Blache, Lindsey, Gray, etc., over screens. Would I like screens to be crisper and replays to be more readily available? You bet.

I don't understand why it has to be either/or.

We spent all last week talking about what a genius of a businessman Danny is and how the rest of the league should emulate him. Yet, he can't make the gameday experience better while paying top dollar for a coaching staff?

My problem with Snyder has always been that despite the mythology of the young Redskins fan who dreamed of owning the team one day, he has no touch with the common fan. In the NBA, Mark Cuban is the resident new money jagoff billionaire owner. But he seems to get the idea that going to games should be a pleasant experience and seems willing to work with fans to make their experiences better, even if he doesn't always succeed. Danny seems only interested in squeezing every last single penny of revenue out of his fans and his stadium.

Danny can ultimately do what he wants and it doesn't really effect me because I'm not going to FedEx unless it's to sit in a luxury box. But I would think from a PR perspective, simply announcing, "Hey....we're making FedEx pleasant with the additional revenue from ticket prices" would be nice.

Archived