Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Crash v.s. Brokeback Mountain; Biggest Best Picture Snub in Years

footballhenry

Remember the Titans and Friday Night Light were no slouches either... :2cents:

I'm 100% with you on FNL- it got no critical acclaim and it captured the spirit of the book (and west texas football) better than I ever thought that it could.

I was never as big of a fan of RTT as others were though...

I've found that most of the movies that win these awards suck.

I agree. The public has already spoken by the box office receipts. I just think they should have it all come down to the movies that people actually care about, as evidenced by how much money they made at the box office. Brokeback didn't finish in the top 5? Or nowhere near it? Too damn bad. Let the results speak for the "best movies" of the year.

I agree. The public has already spoken by the box office receipts. I just think they should have it all come down to the movies that people actually care about, as evidenced by how much money they made at the box office. Brokeback didn't finish in the top 5? Or nowhere near it? Too damn bad. Let the results speak for the "best movies" of the year.

Popularity contests don't determine who is the best.

Unless you think the best selling albums are by the best musicians, and the Pro-Bowl is an the most objective way of awarding the best players

Billboard top 100 for January:

1. Mary J Blige: Breakthrough

2. Jamie Foxx: Unpredictable

3. Carrie Underwood: Some Hearts

4. Eminem: Curtain Call

5. Notorious BIG (gotta love dead people with music...): Duets final chapter

What do these have in common? They are popular and best selling, and they are garbage.

Or Forrest Gump over Pulp Fiction/The Shawshank Redemption.

You are not going to find a bigger Tarantino fan than me, and I totally love Pulp Fiction, a true timeless classic my favorite from him.

But

Forest Gump is a very special.... special movie that truely deserved movie of the year.

Popularity contests don't determine who is the best.

Unless you think the best selling albums are by the best musicians, and the Pro-Bowl is an the most objective way of awarding the best players

Billboard top 100 for January:

1. Mary J Blige: Breakthrough

2. Jamie Foxx: Unpredictable

3. Carrie Underwood: Some Hearts

4. Eminem: Curtain Call

5. Notorious BIG (gotta love dead people with music...): Duets final chapter

What do these have in common? They are popular and best selling, and they are garbage.

In your opinion they suck, obviously not everybody shares your opinion. And what makes you think these award ceremonies aren't popularity contests for the critics anyways, it's all their opinion, just like the box office is the general publics way of expresing their opinion. What makes these critics god?? There isn't nor will there ever be a quantitative way to measure films, so in actuality all of these awards ceremonies are popluarity contests.

Wow, so are you guys seriously going back to box office revenue= best movies of the year?? Thats ridiculous, I seriously don't even know what to say, its just laughable. I mean, I say that because it just seems obvious to me that popularity doesnt exactly make a movie the best of the year. Were talking quality (acting, plot, direction, IMPACT, etc.) not how much money the studio's make. Seriously people, I mean look at what Brokeback won compared to Crash. No movie EVER has won as many awards (and received the most nominations) and lost to a movie that wasn't even nominated for a Golden Globe (much less received considerably less praise on all facets, awards, box office & reviews).

It just seems so ridiculous, regardless what your personal opinion is about either film...look at the facts, look at how much each film was praised and hyped up, what each film garnered praise for. Im amazed at how the vast majority if you guys denigrate the impact of Brokeback Mountain because its 'gay'. I mean, wtf...thats like saying "well Forrest Gump wouldn't have been getting so many awards if it wasn't about a retarded guy". Well no sh*t, its the plot....thats the story, thats the POINT is that two people in love couldn't live together or be together. I mean, lets just denigrate every film...well if Lord of the Rings wasn't so epic, or if A Beautiful Mind didn't portray Nash as a schizo. Sorry, but some of these posts just make zero sense to me when your talking about merits of a film....

Seriously, how about you replace Forrest Gump with Brokeback, and then have Crash win over it....I mean look at how many awards, and how much praise and how many critics and audiences praised Forrest Gump and then you have a film like Crash just take the award and everyones like 'huh?'. This doesn't seem all that hard to me. Im not saying Crash isn't good, its a great film even....but Best Picture out of nowhere defying the ENTIRE history of the Academy, sorry guys...it doesn't make sense, my honest and very humble opinion.

You are so wrong it isn't even funny. Brokeback was a good film but not best picture worth. When a movie wins best pic it should be one that is talked about for years down the road, Crash has it not Brokeback.

Crash was great because of the racial issues. Brokeback was nothing special.

I wasn't blown away by Crash. Thought Brokeback was the better film, but everyone has different opinions when it comes to flicks -- that's why the oscars are so ridiculous.

Personally I would have liked to see the Constant Gardener get nominated. Or even Hustle and Flow or Walk the Line.

Wow, so are you guys seriously going back to box office revenue= best movies of the year?? Thats ridiculous, I seriously don't even know what to say, its just laughable. I mean, I say that because it just seems obvious to me that popularity doesnt exactly make a movie the best of the year. Were talking quality (acting, plot, direction, IMPACT, etc.) not how much money the studio's make. Seriously people, I mean look at what Brokeback won compared to Crash. No movie EVER has won as many awards (and received the most nominations) and lost to a movie that wasn't even nominated for a Golden Globe (much less received considerably less praise on all facets, awards, box office & reviews).

http://chronicle.augusta.com/oscars/pastwinners/bestpicture.shtml

http://movies.go.com/boxoffice?cat=2005

You'll see that a lot of the films that have won best picture have finished at/near the top of the box office rankings.

While I see where you're coming from on your points, I can't but help disagree. Brokeback Mountain was 26th at the box office this past year, Crash was 49th, Syriana was 56th. Capote was 100th! NO ONE CARED ABOUT THESE MOVIES!!! http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?yr=2005&p=.htm So who decides to hype these films and put them up for awards? Filmhouse artsy fartsy dorks that are pushing agendas?

Here's my deal with picking movies that finished at the top...movies don't have to be taken seriously to be considered good. If a movie makes you laugh hysterically, its considered good, right? If it elicited a strong response, no matter what that kind of response is, it should be considered good.

Movies that are at the top of the box office lists are there for a reason. People like them. So why should I give a :pooh: about 5 films that no one went to go see this year?

You'll see that a lot of the films that have won best picture have finished at/near the top of the box office rankings.

While I see where you're coming from on your points, I can't but help disagree. Brokeback Mountain was 26th at the box office this past year, Crash was 49th, Syriana was 56th. Capote was 100th! NO ONE CARED ABOUT THESE MOVIES!!! http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?yr=2005&p=.htm So who decides to hype these films and put them up for awards? Filmhouse artsy fartsy dorks that are pushing agendas?

Here's my deal with picking movies that finished at the top...movies don't have to be taken seriously to be considered good. If a movie makes you laugh hysterically, its considered good, right? If it elicited a strong response, no matter what that kind of response is, it should be considered good.

Movies that are at the top of the box office lists are there for a reason. People like them. So why should I give a :pooh: about 5 films that no one went to go see this year?

Spaceman, you really need to take a more careful look at the box office numbers. If you've really paid attention to BoxOffice Mojo you'd know that some movies are only in maybe 500 theatres as opposed to other movies in 3,000 theatres. Some movies are on even fewer screens. Some movies are released slowly and increase screen numbers as screens get freed up. So your statement that movies are at the top of the box office lists cause people like them is such a simplification of the facts and reality of the box office that it belies your premise.

But to say that no one cares about these movies is an amazing and simply untrue statement. For example, look at Brokeback's per theatre average. That's a good indicator of interest. And as I'm sure you know the smaller movies and the independents have very limited release and very limited access to screens. I am sure that Scream III could easily open in 3,000 theatres. Brokeback has done very, very well at the box office for a small movie - hell, for any movie. And it isn't even out on video yet - you wanna bet that movie doubles it's box office take through rentals and videos/dvds.

Try reading about the strategy and campaign by its studios and distributors to get Crash the nomination and then the win. It has very little to do with film quality.

The notion that Brokeback Mountain was only praised because it was about two gay men is ludicrous. Do you think all critics are gay with an agenda. Do you think all the people who voted for all the awards it received are gay? Ang Lee is one of the best directors around. His previous work on The Ice Storm, Sense and Sensibility, Crouching Tiger was brilliant. That great talent is clearly evident in Brokeback. Please stop talking about it if you haven't seen it. It is quite simply a real story with beautifully realized characters. It is not a political screed which unfortunately too much of Crash is.

You are so wrong it isn't even funny. Brokeback was a good film but not best picture worth. When a movie wins best pic it should be one that is talked about for years down the road, Crash has it not Brokeback.

Crash was great because of the racial issues. Brokeback was nothing special.

Hmm...Sorry guys, I didn't know my opinion was 'wrong'. In any case, no use arguing, though I will say umm...how many racially driven movies have their been that have been this successful? Okay, now how many homophobic/gay life style movies have their been that have been this successful? Hmmm...

To each his own jbooma, just dont tell me my OPINION is wrong, though you have every right to hate the living crap out of Brokeback and love Crash. Thats not my point, I could care less what the ES communities OPINION is of Brokeback, Im looking at specifically the lead-up to the Oscars. How many awards each film got, how much credit, accolades, box office revenue, strategy, etc. This is unprecedented for a film to receive so many high honor by a VAST array of organizations, while another received almost diddly squat yet it wins the BIGGEST award film has to offer. THATS why I bring attention to it.

Hate to break it to you but the joke in hollywood is the films that gross the much never win oscars. Just because a film does not generate a lot of money is not an indicator on how good it is.

If you try and sit here and say Brokeback was not good, then it is clear either you did not watch it or understand what a good movie is.

Spaceman, you really need to take a more careful look at the box office numbers. If you've really paid attention to BoxOffice Mojo you'd know that some movies are only in maybe 500 theatres as opposed to other movies in 3,000 theatres. Some movies are on even fewer screens. Some movies are released slowly and increase screen numbers as screens get freed up. So your statement that movies are at the top of the box office lists cause people like them is such a simplification of the facts and reality of the box office that it belies your premise.

But to say that no one cares about these movies is an amazing and simply untrue statement. For example, look at Brokeback's per theatre average. That's a good indicator of interest. And as I'm sure you know the smaller movies and the independents have very limited release and very limited access to screens. I am sure that Scream III could easily open in 3,000 theatres. Brokeback has done very, very well at the box office for a small movie - hell, for any movie. And it isn't even out on video yet - you wanna bet that movie doubles it's box office take through rentals and videos/dvds.

Try reading about the strategy and campaign by its studios and distributors to get Crash the nomination and then the win. It has very little to do with film quality.

The notion that Brokeback Mountain was only praised because it was about two gay men is ludicrous. Do you think all critics are gay with an agenda. Do you think all the people who voted for all the awards it received are gay? Ang Lee is one of the best directors around. His previous work on The Ice Storm, Sense and Sensibility, Crouching Tiger was brilliant. That great talent is clearly evident in Brokeback. Please stop talking about it if you haven't seen it. It is quite simply a real story with beautifully realized characters. It is not a political screed which unfortunately too much of Crash is.

Well said my friend, well said. I dare say that many of those that even posted didn't even read the initial article, pretty persuasive argument if you ask me. And yes Ebert writes a very persuasive article as well, though the hardcore 'facts' aren't on his side of the debate.

By the way, what happened to King Kong? I recall everyone being real excited for it when it came out and saying that it was the best movie of the year and I haven't hardly heard a thing about it since then.

Yeah King Kong should have been at least nominated ALOT more than it was. I really have no clue why the Academy largely snubbed it as well as it was definitely one of top 3 films of the year, imho.

Hmm...Sorry guys, I didn't know my opinion was 'wrong'. In any case, no use arguing, though I will say umm...how many racially driven movies have their been that have been this successful? Okay, now how many homophobic/gay life style movies have their been that have been this successful? Hmmm...

To each his own jbooma, just dont tell me my OPINION is wrong, though you have every right to hate the living crap out of Brokeback and love Crash. Thats not my point, I could care less what the ES communities OPINION is of Brokeback, Im looking at specifically the lead-up to the Oscars. How many awards each film got, how much credit, accolades, box office revenue, strategy, etc. This is unprecedented for a film to receive so many high honor by a VAST array of organizations, while another received almost diddly squat yet it wins the BIGGEST award film has to offer. THATS why I bring attention to it.

wow someone needs a chill pill :)

it has happen before shakespear in love ring a bell

Look brokeback is a very good film, but you take away the gay part how good is it really? You just want to give a move best picture just because it talks about the love of two cowboys? Some of my friends who are gay didn't even like it because according to them it was way off and too violent etc..

I also do not understand how you can title the thread a "snub" when you have one article.

I gotta admit I'm a little surprised at the backlash against Crash. I was surprised that Crash won, but mainly because it came out so early in the year. Brokeback Mountain was a fine film, but in many ways Crash was a riskier film.

Crash dealt with racism issues that haven't been dealt with on screen before. It showed that there is usually no clear line between the 'good guys' and the 'evil racists.' It had stellar performances from a great ensemble cast. What it tried to portray was the humanity of its characters and the fact that noone is truly free of prejudice. Crash challenged its audience. It was most definitely NOT a political screed. It advocated no agenda. In fact, its most heinous character was also its most heroic.

Brokeback Mountain was an excellent film by a great director. It was well shot and well acted. While I wouldn't have been upset had it won, I felt the best movie of the year won this year (with the caveat that I haven't seen Munich). Actually I felt that Hustle and Flow was a better film as well. Brokeback was a story about forbidden love, but not an especially profound one in my opinion.

I love how people point at the Oscar nominated flicks as financial failures. Outside of Munich, each movie cost fifteen million dollars to make. And again, outside of Munich, each were very profitable. I mean, no one makes a movie like Brokeback or Capote and expects it to compete with the Star Wars and Fantastic Fours of the world -- the target audiences are much, much smaller.

I gotta admit I'm a little surprised at the backlash against Crash. I was surprised that Crash won, but mainly because it came out so early in the year. Brokeback Mountain was a fine film, but in many ways Crash was a riskier film.

Crash dealt with racism issues that haven't been dealt with on screen before. It showed that there is usually no clear line between the 'good guys' and the 'evil racists.' It had stellar performances from a great ensemble cast. What it tried to portray was the humanity of its characters and the fact that noone is truly free of prejudice. Crash challenged its audience. It was most definitely NOT a political screed. It advocated no agenda. In fact, its most heinous character was also its most heroic.

Brokeback Mountain was an excellent film by a great director. It was well shot and well acted. While I wouldn't have been upset had it won, I felt the best movie of the year won this year (with the caveat that I haven't seen Munich). Actually I felt that Hustle and Flow was a better film as well. Brokeback was a story about forbidden love, but not an especially profound one in my opinion.

Someone that gets it :cheers::cheers::cheers:

A best picture film has to make you think and even 5 years down the road still make you think, Crash did it, not Brokeback

Archived