Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Arrington turned down 6.5million

ARRINGTON TURNED DOWN $6.5 MILLION

A reader has tipped us off to an unusual dynamic regarding the recent release of linebacker LaVar Arrington by the Redskins, which occurred when he agreed to waive $4.4 million in earned but unpaid signing bonus money. We've confirmed the following new information through a league source.

As it turns out, the 'Skins offered to convert the $6.5 million roster bonus owed to Arrington into a guaranteed signing bonus, which would have permitted it to be prorated over four years. The 'Skins also offered to move up all or part of the $4.4 million in deferred payments from his December 2003 signing bonus.

Arrington was poised at one point to accept the deal, but then opted for free agency.

So the maneuver results in a $10.9 million hole from which Arrington will now dig on the open market. And if his agents haven't lined up a deal that will pay him more than $10.9 million plus his $545,000 base salary in 2006, it will prove in hindsight to be a bad move.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

I don't trust anything from PFT. I gotta hear this from a real source.

I respect the right portis101, but does that statement contribute anything to discussion or this forum?

I don't trust anything from PFT. I gotta hear this from a real source.

Well, Gibbs is pretty credible. And he said in his press conference that they offered Arrington a chance to stay and that Lavar opted not to. This article is pretty much inline with what Gibbs said.

Well, Gibbs is pretty credible. And he said in his press conference that they offered Arrington a chance to stay and that Lavar opted not to. This article is pretty much inline with what Gibbs said.

oh i actually havent seen the press conference yet sorry about the above post

I smell the Poston Brothers hand in all of this. They've held sway over LaVar since he turned pro, and only stand to gain from a new contract. I'm sure they will demand unreasonable money from any suitor, and have LaVar convinced that he's worth every penny. Good luck to any team who has the guts to ignore all of the potential problems from both LaVar and his agents and sign him.

Arrington is taking a huge gamble,if the CBA doesn't worked out he wont get a contract worth half of what he got here.

True true...but they probably will get a new cap. Thats why we got all these deadlines, but he still aint gonna get a deal like he had here so good riddens son. We don't need youy here anyways, besides we bout to get Julian Peterson or Ray Lewis or even both and be waay better anyway.

There's no way LaVar gets the kind of money he'd need to break even with what he would have gotten to stay with the Skins, let alone more. That's why I said from his standpoint it was a dumb and impulsive decision. Again, classic L.A.

Even so, this may be a win-win for all concerned if you don't count the loss of $$$ on Arrington's part. The team gets some cap relief and gets rid of a guy that caused them at times to tear their hair out. Arrington gets to go to a team that may allow him to freelance a bit more. And of course his agents get to negotiate a new deal and hence a payday for themselves.

He decided to leave instead of restructuring like many of our stars did so good riddance. Now that he got out of his contract I think he stands to lose than if he had just restructured and stayed. Now you're talking about a player with a bum knee and a knack for drama. I don't know that anyone would want to take the chance on the money he wanted. These agents can sometimes damage players careers.

"There's no way LaVar gets the kind of money he'd need to break even with what he would have gotten to stay with the Skins, let alone more. That's why I said from his standpoint it was a dumb and impulsive decision. Again, classic L.A.

Even so, this may be a win-win for all concerned if you don't count the loss of $$$ on Arrington's part. The team gets some cap relief and gets rid of a guy that caused them at times to tear their hair out. Arrington gets to go to a team that may allow him to freelance a bit more. And of course his agents get to negotiate a new deal and hence a payday for themselves."

uh huh...and if he lands up in NYC where the endorsement deals are potentially very lucrative? at 27 years of age....he is very likely to get a very big payoff stretched over a 6-8 year contract. if this post is correct...it is tacit recognition by the Skins of their real dilemma: despite the pains LA caused they know his real value and that outweighed the personal issues. the Skins were boxed in by their own cap machinations/past contracting mistakes.

or maybe Lindsey truly is an arse LA can't stand and no value can be placed on tearing free of the man. I have moved on in my professional life when confronted by a-holes I couldn't stomach.

You can call him stupid for not getting the money, but maybe he just really wants a fresh start with a staff of his choosing and knows this is the best way it could possibly end for both sides. The Redskins relieve cap space and he gets a second chance that these coaches never gave him/or felt he had blown (depending on what goes on behind closed doors). You look at the way these things end with most teams in most sports and its usually never this pretty, it could have been a lot worse for both parties. Try and remember that.

"You look at the way these things end with most teams in most sports and its usually never this pretty, it could have been a lot worse for both parties. Try and remember that."

excellent observation. the Skins get their cash.....arrington gets his freedom. everyone is happy.

He decided to leave instead of restructuring like many of our stars did so good riddance. Now that he got out of his contract I think he stands to lose than if he had just restructured and stayed. Now you're talking about a player with a bum knee and a knack for drama. I don't know that anyone would want to take the chance on the money he wanted. These agents can sometimes damage players careers.

hmm first off they said they offered a paycut, not a restructure, and second they were going to cut him anyway and in june so he could not get any money at all, the skins didn't want him they made that known when he was benched early in the year, plus he had bad relationship with his position coach

i see some agree with PFT only when they like what they hear, but the other times do not listen to them

Thank you fansince62. Seems like everyone now hates lavar already cuz he's off the team. The guy plays like a winner and that more often than not is better than a talented player with so much discipline they just dont care. I hate to see him go and I believe he loves it here but when so much crap happens sometimes you have to move on. There's heartaches in this business just as people lose/gain dream jobs or girls or anything else in life. Unfortunately, for Lavar, enough was enough and he's out. I will hate to see him play against us, especially in the NFCEast though.

Archived