Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins.com:REDSKINS RELEASE LB ARRINGTON

TK

What have we learned about Gibbs "core" players?

Hmmmmm.....

All of them are released or traded....

"Core" means "We are looking for a trade and if we dont get it he is going to be released." in Gibbs speak.

Lavar paid the team 4 million to get out of his contract. Do you call that being released?

"Being a core player for Gibbs is more then on the field, and LaVar has never been a true team player."

what a bunch of *rap. being a core "player" somehow manages to be inclusive enough to allow for shooting incidents with potential jail time.....or DWIs...or cocaine problems......or playing games seriously hung over from drinking excesses.....

it's a business with a lot of PR to shroud the hard nosed core from the fans who ultimately shell the bucks that keep it all going....

WOW.

I was on here at midnight last night...not much happening.

This morning - armageddon. This place is going to be going nuts today over this news.

Allow me to be among the first (and probably few) to say "Good riddance". His act has grown very tired here over the past few seasons. He has become the ultimate distraction, which is a sad end to a really promising career as a Redskin. Too much stuff happened though, and the bitterness and frustration over those early losing seasons was just too much to overcome.

We'll be just fine without him. No way this was done without input from GW.

I feel some anger over this. I feel that Lavar was kind of shafted by the team. I think that he was asked to take a substantial paycut or leave, and it wasn't just a matter of restructuring.

I can't believe we are releasing one of our best players. What about keeping the core of the team together? Come on!

This sucks.

We are losing a stud. But the Redskins shafted themselves by overpaying LaVar, along with several other players before Gibbs arrived. We should be able to replace him with a solid player in free agency at a much better price.

WOW.

Allow me to be among the first (and probably few) to say "Good riddance".

Yeah, trust me, you're not among the first, plenty of people join you in your sentiment. It seems that most of the people who were on last night were largely anti-Lavar, and now with all these people checking up on the board this morning there's a much larger increase in people feeling regretful and sorry about the deal. I'm with you though; Lavar- thanks for giving us back some money, good luck in the future (as long as it's not on an NFC East team), but I won't miss you.

The coaching staff came to the conclusion that he does not fit in their system. Lavar either was not able or was unwilling to change to alter that perception. Since I am not about to argue with the coaching staff about player evaluation I am going to agree with this release. I also think it was handled in a professional manner.

If we could turn back the clock I wish we could have kept Pierce, not resigned Lavar, and used Marshall at outside LB.

I haven’t seen this posted, but what are the cap implications? I know he gave back 4 mil, but he was going to count 12 mil or something against the cap. Does this mean he will only count around 8 mil this season and then be off the books ala Coles?

"We are losing a stud. But the Redskins shafted themselves by overpaying LaVar, along with several other players before Gibbs arrived. We should be able to replace him with a solid player in free agency at a much better price."

Agree with the first part....as for the second part...if "solid player" wets your whistle....oh well! warrick holdman is a "solid player"...and we hahve seen how that works.

Robert McCune is a MLB slick. Would be kinda hard considering LaVar is a WLB.

Yeah and Lemar Marshall was originally a safety in college, became a LB in the NFL, played WLB in 2004, and was our starting MLB in 2005, what's your point?

Coach Williams likes versatility. And if McCune wins the job for WLB in camp then so bet it.

"We are losing a stud. But the Redskins shafted themselves by overpaying LaVar, along with several other players before Gibbs arrived. We should be able to replace him with a solid player in free agency at a much better price."

Agree with the first part....as for the second part...if "solid player" wets your whistle....oh well! warrick holdman is a "solid player"...and we hahve seen how that works.

Lavar was not earning the salary that he was being paid. He was being paid franchise money and he was not a franchise player. I like Lavar and thought he was a good LB, but not a franchise LB like he thought. If he was being paid Marshall money I would love to keep him.

Im in shock, my heart is hurting. I love LaVar and will miss him very much. I sure do hope he goes to a team that i half like and dont play the Redskins too often. The best thing would be if he would retire i think.

Who are they going to get to fill his possition?

Lavar was not earning the salary that he was being paid. He was being paid franchise money and he was not a franchise player. I like Lavar and thought he was a good LB, but not a franchise LB like he thought. If he was being paid Marshall money I would love to keep him.

If we're going to pay by performance, then why don't we give Chris Cooley, Dockery, Betts, Marshall, Salevea (sp), and our other formerly unknown players, a large pay raise?

"Lavar was not earning the salary that he was being paid. He was being paid franchise money and he was not a franchise player. I like Lavar and thought he was a good LB, but not a franchise LB like he thought. If he was being paid Marshall money I would love to keep him."

LA was being paid what the team agreed to in a contract. were I a big talent FA type I'ld think twice abouit coming to Washington from here on out...contracts will not be honored...that's a fact...get a big bonus up front - that will likely be the future pattern. let us all hope that the coaching staff continues to squeeze as much juice as it has out of the turnips on the roster...when not pre-occupied with figuring out how to shed first round picks that is!

"Lavar was not earning the salary that he was being paid. He was being paid franchise money and he was not a franchise player. I like Lavar and thought he was a good LB, but not a franchise LB like he thought. If he was being paid Marshall money I would love to keep him."

LA was being paid what the team agreed to in a contract. were I a big talent FA type I'ld think twice abouit coming to Washington from here on out...contracts will not be honored...that's a fact...get a big bonus up front - that will likely be the future pattern. let us all hope that the coaching staff continues to squeeze as much juice as it has out of the turnips on the roster...when not pre-occupied with figuring out how to shed first round picks that is!

LA was signed under the old regime. Gibbs and Co. are running the show and doing a good job at managing what they pay players versus how that player plays on the field. Besides Brunell, I think they have done a good job, and Brunell didn’t play that bad last season. LA was paid franchise money. Not Washington or Springs money. He was being paid to lead the defense not simply be a part of the defense.

Those other players you speak of are still making money. They have roles to play, and fill those rolls very well. I don’t think the Lavar situation will have any affect on the skins ability to recruit players. Lavar didn’t fit our system. He has always had problems with his coaches. He needs a defense that lets him free lance.

Wow - this coming off of a playoff win? All of the players know how this system works - that's why they all focus on the upfront signing bonus - it's the only money that's guaranteed. LA thought he could have his cake (complaining about the missing signing bonus - that would have destroyed the Skins cap situation) while not having to prove himself on and off the field. I say goodbye and good luck.

By the way - a little perspective - before we bury the current coaching staff for releasing "my comments were taken out of context" Lavar, let's remember some other LB's from the past who kept their mouths shut and earned it on the field - Olkewicz, Coleman, Marshall, Millen, Gouveia, just to name a few.

"Wow - this coming off of a playoff win? All of the players know how this system works - that's why they all focus on the upfront signing bonus - it's the only money that's guaranteed. LA thought he could have his cake (complaining about the missing signing bonus - that would have destroyed the Skins cap situation) while not having to prove himself on and off the field. I say goodbye and good luck.

By the way - a little perspective - before we bury the current coaching staff for releasing "my comments were taken out of context" Lavar, let's remember some other LB's from the past who kept their mouths shut and earned it on the field - Olkewicz, Coleman, Marshall, Millen, Gouveia, just to name a few."

1) We limped into the play-offs.

2) We didn't win - and that is the ONLY thing that counts. So....one is left to wonder...will we advance upon last season? Too early to tell. but to get better - that is sign players who can help us - we will have to continue practices of ther past (i.e., sign players to high priced contracts we later restructure or cut the player - not a startegy that builds longevity, consistency, etc.). we still haven't done well with the draft - we are doing better....but not much. and, with this team, even the high draft picks now have to be assessed on whther they stick witht he team beyond 5 years.

3) You exaggerate. he proved himself on the field many times - too many are building a strawman case. he had great games and games he wasn't a factor.

4) With all due respect - you have no lue about his off-field activities. You just have the silliness that we have read about in tyhe press. No one on this board knows whaty sort of teammate he has been, what he has done for his community, what he has done for folks elsewhere than DC...

5) It's not that he is faultless in all of this - he isn't. it's that a one sided picture is being bandied about. I know...I recall a post in which someone met up with Marcus washington in a local restaurant. Said Marcus was a great guy. Also mentioned that he downed about 6 glasses of wine. What are the odds he jumped in a car after the meal? makes me feel better to know I might have been out and about in my car with my 6 year old that night. how about you? small potatoes? yea. however, there is an uneven standard in play here. from what I see, the angry fans are angry cuz the man didn't grovel in a way that fit their mentality of players as ranch hands - people who should be seen and not heard. that's fine - just don't claim any honesty or "analysis" is behind all of this.

You may classify Holdman as "solid" if you wish, but I wouldn't be willing to make that stretch. By solid, I mean top 10 at his position in the league.

Should we start another moron thread about being tardy to the party??? I think it would be appropriate.

Do you always walk into somewhere new & tell the folks in charge how things should be done without having a clue as to how they actually are done? New news articles have always gotten their own thread so that the details within them may be discussed. Post less, read more & you may actually learn something. I think that may be appropriate.

I haven’t seen this posted, but what are the cap implications? I know he gave back 4 mil, but he was going to count 12 mil or something against the cap. Does this mean he will only count around 8 mil this season and then be off the books ala Coles?

Pretty much, yeah. What I'm curious about is to how the new cash over cap regulations will deal with this. Since that $8 million is not actually being paid, does it count as part of the cash? In other words, do we still get to spend that $8 on a bonus for another player without it being counted as cash over cap?

Archived