Extremeskins

Skins.com:REDSKINS RELEASE LB ARRINGTON

TK

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=15697

REDSKINS RELEASE LB ARRINGTON

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

March 5, 2006

Three-time Pro Bowl linebacker LaVar Arrington has reached an agreement with the Redskins, with the assistance of his agents Carl and Kevin Poston, to become a free agent and provide the team with much-needed salary cap relief.

Head coach Joe Gibbs is scheduled to address Arrington's release in a media session at 12 noon ET on Monday.

For Arrington, the release ends a six-year run in Washington that has included some ups and downs. After starring at Penn State, Arrington was drafted by the Redskins with the second overall pick in the 2000 NFL Draft.

_B1P3118arr2.jpg

LaVar Arrington

Arrington emerged as one of the NFL's top linebackers one year later, recording 100-plus tackles each year from 2001-03. He also earned Pro Bowl trips each of those years. In 2004, Arrington suffered a knee injury that sidelined him most of the season.

Last season, Arrington gradually returned from the injury and earned back his starting assignment in Week 9. He started six of the last eight regular season games, plus both playoff games, and finished with 53 tackles (45 solo).

For his career, Arrington has logged 467 tackles (335 solo), 22.5 sacks, 11 forced fumbles, seven fumble recoveries and three interceptions.

His signature play as a Redskin may have been the game-changing interception he recorded against Carolina on Oct. 21, 2001, when he raced 67 yards for a touchdown that ignited a rally. The play helped turn around the Redskins' season that year and elevated Arrington's status as an elite player.

Arrington also turned in a memorable interception in the Redskins' Wild Card win over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Jan. 7, 2006. His 21-yard return helped set up the Redskins' first touchdown in a 17-10 victory.

Arrington's departure creates an opening for a starting job at the weak-side linebacker spot. Warrick Holdman, who started seven games at weak-side linebacker last season, is also an unrestricted free agent. Another option, Chris Clemons, is a restricted free agent.

The Redskins have several linebackers who could move into the role, including second-year player Robert McCune. Washington drafted McCune in the fifth round of the 2005 NFL Draft.

It's also possible that the Redskins could seek to acquire Arrington's replacement in free agency or in the NFL Draft, scheduled for April 29-30.

11. Please do not use the “Quote” feature to quote huge blocks of text or pictures.

If you would like to respond to the contents of a particular post, simply quote the sentence or idea that you're commenting upon, not necessarily the entire post. It wastes space on the database and unnecessarily extends and clutters threads.

I feel some anger over this. I feel that Lavar was kind of shafted by the team. I think that he was asked to take a substantial paycut or leave, and it wasn't just a matter of restructuring.

I can't believe we are releasing one of our best players. What about keeping the core of the team together? Come on!

This sucks.

i feel like i'm automatically going to lose whatever friends i had on here by saying this, but i don't view this as the end of the world. it's strange and downright unnatural to think of the skins without #56, but to be fair, he wasn't really a core player this year. he didn't come across as a team leader and certainly wasn't vital to our D like other players were. this isn't to say that i didn't like the guy, or didn't get fired up on his INT in the playoffs, or his sacks in the 49ers game, but i just don't see this as ruining where our team is headed.

there's still so much shaky and uncovered drama about what really happened this past season, and it's weird to read that "i want to be a redskin for life" quote now. don't demonize the entire organization over this.

still, 56, i'll miss you.

Should we start another moron thread about being tardy to the party??? I think it would be appropriate.

"TK421...Why aren't you at your post?! TK421..."

Oh, you're killing the new guy. Carry on. Carry on. ;)

Well. I have to admit, I will miss seeing his smiling face and his energetic play. But I will not miss his tantrum's, his injuries, and his mistakes. All things considered, it was time to cut the cord on Lavar. But still, he will be missed.

Here's hoping he doesn't sign within the division.

There were was a thread a couple weeks ago about who people thought the "face of the franchise" was, and it amazed me how many people still claimed it was Lavar. To me, he wasn't even the team's top linebacker anymore, Marshall has been the most productive LB and Washington is much more of a leader and team-guy. This whole thing with Lavar being released just ends the speculation about him and his big contract, and puts a rest to any more drama he might stir up in the future. I wouldn't have minded keeping him around for another year just to see what he was capable of with a full, healthy off-season of work and learning more of Williams' system, but then again clearly he wasn't in the coach's plans, nor do really know what the honest truth is between him and F.O./coaching staff and how that might have come into play during another season. He served us well when we were stinking up the NFL, but this seems to the best thing for both him and the Redskins at this point.

Damn, I didn't thiink they were going to release him this fast. Well folks, I think we can all officially say LaVar was a bust. He never lived up to the hype surrounding his place as the 2nd pick in the draft. Adios LaVar.

On a Side Note: Who are we going to pick up to fill his spot or the Mike spot if Coach Williams puts Marshall back at WLB? While Marshall had a good season at MLB he didn't blow things up like Pierce did. It kinda makes you think about Ray Lewis coming to DC after the reports of him wanting out.

Hummmmmm???

Damn, I didn't thiink they were going to release him this fast. Well folks, I think we can all officially say LaVar was a bust. He never lived up to the hype surrounding his place as the 2nd pick in the draft. Adios LaVar.

On a Side Note: Who are we going to pick up to fill his spot or the Mike spot if Coach Williams puts Marshall back at WLB? While Marshall had a good season at MLB he didn't blow things up like Pierce did. It kinda makes you think about Ray Lewis coming to DC after the reports of him wanting out.

Hummmmmm???

Robert McCune is the only man on earth to replace Lavar, and he won't come half as close.

Guest amaprius

What have we learned about Gibbs "core" players?

Hmmmmm.....

All of them are released or traded....

"Core" means "We are looking for a trade and if we dont get it he is going to be released." in Gibbs speak.

GW/JG never liked LA and brought down his trade value on purpose.

Too bad...because I bet he will end up sacking alot of QB's in Oakland or Buffalo

there's still so much shaky and uncovered drama about what really happened this past season, and it's weird to read that "i want to be a redskin for life" quote now. don't demonize the entire organization over this.

still, 56, i'll miss you.

I agree, there have been so many quotes from Lavar last season that he would retire if the redskins released him, he wanted to be a skin for life, etc. Now we find out he refused to renegotiate his contract, while most of the other veterans did, and that LaVar wanted out. Well good bye Lavar, its been fun. Good Luck with your new team where ever you wind up. If we play against your new team sometime in the future, I hope your out of position.

I feel some anger over this. I feel that Lavar was kind of shafted by the team. I think that he was asked to take a substantial paycut or leave, and it wasn't just a matter of restructuring.

I can't believe we are releasing one of our best players. What about keeping the core of the team together? Come on!

This sucks.

I'm really sorry to see him go but he was not a core player on this team anymore. He saw more bench time than playing time the last two years. I think there was more to it than money as the Redskins will take a huge hit by letting him go.

I guess this is like cleaning out your old sock drawer. Get rid of all the mismatched ones. And look at it this way also. This is Joe Gibbs rebuilding the Redskins in his image and I trust him to do that.

I agree, there have been so many quotes from Lavar last season that he would retire if the redskins released him, he wanted to be a skin for life, etc. Now we find out he refused to renegotiate his contract, while most of the other veterans did, and that LaVar wanted out. Well good bye Lavar, its been fun. Good Luck with your new team where ever you wind up. If we play against your new team sometime in the future, I hope your out of position.

The Giants have been looking for LB help.....Hope LA doesn't end up there. I think he has plenty of gas left in the tank and I surely wouldn't want to face him twice a year with revenge on his mind.

....and another jersey bites the dust.

It sounds like the team wanted Lavar to renegotiate (probably taking a pay cut), and instead he agreed to a buyout to become a free agent. I thought he wanted to "retire a Redskin." I guess that's only if he's the highest paid linebacker in the league. Unfortunately, he wasn't the most productive linebacker the last two years, that means we can't afford to pay him that way. Especially with the cap issues we are having right now. If Lavar had played up to expectations, the team would've found a way to make his salary work under the cap. It just seems a lot of people are trying to make this sound like it was a personal issue, when it seems like good business to me. :2cents:

His release is fine with me....under the new coaching regime....we aren't going to overpay for underperforming players......this demonstraits that...

I agree with this, though the one exception to the new rule of not overpaying for underperforming players is Mark Brunell.

This sucks.

Yes it Does suck ,, Big Time .. Im pissed !

What have we learned about Gibbs "core" players?

Hmmmmm.....

All of them are released or traded....

"Core" means "We are looking for a trade and if we dont get it he is going to be released." in Gibbs speak.

GW/JG never liked LA and brought down his trade value on purpose.

Too bad...because I bet he will end up sacking alot of QB's in Oakland or Buffalo

I don't think the "core player" comment is warrented. What do you base the comment on? Smoot and AP going to other teams? AP signed with the Giants for little more then the Skins offered, and you don't pay your #2 corner more the the top guy, Springs. What other core guys have been cut? I also don't think LaVar has been a core player for some time, and I'm not just looking at on the field. He's caused the team more grief in the media then any 5 players in the past 5 seasons. Every D coach has had problems with him, even going back to his days a Penn State.

Being a core player for Gibbs is more then on the field, and LaVar has never been a true team player.

I agree with this, though the one exception to the new rule of not overpaying for underperforming players is Mark Brunell.

I'm not completely sure, but I think Brunell has now restructured twice to help the team.

Archived