Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Isaac Bruce may be released - UPDATED - HAS BEEN RELEASED

50GutCheck

Heard today on Sirius NFL that Isaac Bruce may become a CAP casualty as he is going to cost the Rams 10mil against 2006. How much rubber does he have on the tires? I always liked his solid play...but is he past his prime?

I ran a search on Isaac Bruce and nothing came up so if there is already a thread on this topic I apologize...

i think isaac bruce would be a perfect compliment....i dont care bout age honestly..

what does age have to do with anything? look at Darrell Green...he can still run a great 40...

Bruce = GREAT HANDS...GREAT ROUTE RUNNER...a damn good vetern at that...

WHY NOT?

I believe he's 35. Thats pretty damn long in the tooth for an NFL WR.

That being said, he had a pretty good year in 2004.

89 catches for 1,292 yards and a 14.5 yd average. Not bad, and it was 2 years ago.

Don't see it though.

i think isaac bruce would be a perfect compliment....i dont care bout age honestly..

what does age have to do with anything? look at Darrell Green...he can still run a great 40...

Bruce = GREAT HANDS...GREAT ROUTE RUNNER...a damn good vetern at that...

WHY NOT?

Agreed...and most importanly, he would take alot of heat off of Santana. I believe the Dan could intice him with a nice incentive-rich contract.

Of course, the speculation is that he would follow Martz to Detroit so, I guess we'll see what develops...

I believe he's 35. Thats pretty damn long in the tooth for an NFL WR.

That being said, he had a pretty good year in 2004.

89 catches for 1,292 yards and a 14.5 yd average. Not bad, and it was 2 years ago.

Don't see it though.

For a WR? No way. 35 is long in the tooth for a RB but a WR doesn't get beat up like other positions. I'd think Bruce might have another 2-3 yrs left as a #2 WR.

For a WR? No way. 35 is long in the tooth for a RB but a WR doesn't get beat up like other positions. I'd think Bruce might have another 2-3 yrs left as a #2 WR.

That signature is making me d........i........z...........z........y:puke:

Why not?

Because people like Henry Ellard, Jerry Rice, et. al are abberations.

He will be 34 years old during the season

He only played in 11 games last year and had 525 yards

and how soon we forget that he had an abnormal heartbeat that kept him out of mini camp last year?

I just cant see paying him what he's going to want as a FA. He'll retire soon and will look for one last payday.

35 is old at ANY position in the NFL. Does that mean there aren't anomalies who are the exception? No. But spending any kind of significant money for a 35 year old is crazy in my opinion. I'm not saying he's not still an above average receiver. I just wouldn't invest much in him. Even a slight decrease in breakaway speed means the difference between average and spectacular in the NFL. So I'd have to disagree.

Of course, the speculation is that he would follow Martz to Detroit so, I guess we'll see what develops...

The last thing detroit needs is another receiver to fail on them. If Bruce went there I can almost guarantee you he'd fall apart... its like a curse. Only Roy Williams can survive there but the result is limited production despite his skill as a WR.

Patten is in his thirties too, we need young blood. This means we would just be delaying our need for a second WR by a year. If we can get Bruce cheap, and I mean cheeaaappppp!!!, it might be a good idea. I just don't like the uncertainty that surrounds him (age, health, a current ability). Those aren't questions I like to see in a second receiving option.

35 is old at ANY position in the NFL. Does that mean there aren't anomalies who are the exception? No. But spending any kind of significant money for a 35 year old is crazy in my opinion. I'm not saying he's not still an above average receiver. I just wouldn't invest much in him. Even a slight decrease in breakaway speed means the difference between average and spectacular in the NFL. So I'd have to disagree.

Agreed Tarhog, anytime you give a guy in his mid-thirties a hefty payday you're taking a big chance...and the odds are against!

Still, one must determine what's most important to Bruce, a large payday (which many teams can provide) or a more then decent chance to pick up another Ring? If it's the Ring then a team like ours has a fighting chance to bring him in for a reasonable contract...as money is not his main motivator and he's potentially that piece that puts us over the top. :thumbsup:

Archived