Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

An alternate sport, an amazing atmosphere...

Sherlock Holmes

Rugby.

Now im not going to start calling NFL players wimps, because i am constantly arguing against that over here in England. So dont worry about that.

Anyways, theres a Rugby competition in europe called the Six Nations. England (current world champions of course!), Scotland, Ireland, Wales (current holders of the six nations), Italy and France.

The six nations is just a sort of warm up competition before the World cup, and involves a lot of the best teams in the world. (Northern Hemisphere anyway.) The southern Hemisphere has the Tri-Nations: (stronger in my opinion), Australia, South Africa and of course the All-Blacks (New Zealand.

Anyway in the six nations england before yesterday were top of Six nations table, after wins against Wales and Italy...but lost yesterday to a resilent Scotland side in Scotland. I was angry...the Rugby equivalent of playcalling from England was awful at times...and it was plain to see.

But half way through the game, even though it was in Scotland, and even though England were losing, a song started to be sung. All the small groups of england fans dotted around the stadium began to sing Swing low sweet chariot. And needless to say that englands anthem wasnt well recieved by the scots.

Not to knock NFL, but the atmosphere at Rugby games, although not as loud as when fed-ex boo's the opposing teams offence, is so much better, and so much more fun. Rugby fans are fantastic (the whole game played and supported in such a great spirit) that it puts to shame the artificial atmosphere of an NFL game.

Roll on the criti:cheers: cism...

Rugby.

Now im not going to start calling NFL players wimps, because i am constantly arguing against that over here in England. So dont worry about that.

Anyways, theres a Rugby competition in europe called the Six Nations. England (current world champions of course!), Scotland, Ireland, Wales (current holders of the six nations), Italy and France.

The six nations is just a sort of warm up competition before the World cup, and involves a lot of the best teams in the world. (Northern Hemisphere anyway.) The southern Hemisphere has the Tri-Nations: (stronger in my opinion), Australia, South Africa and of course the All-Blacks (New Zealand.

Anyway in the six nations england before yesterday were top of Six nations table, after wins against Wales and Italy...but lost yesterday to a resilent Scotland side in Scotland. I was angry...the Rugby equivalent of playcalling from England was awful at times...and it was plain to see.

But half way through the game, even though it was in Scotland, and even though England were losing, a song started to be sung. All the small groups of england fans dotted around the stadium began to sing Swing low sweet chariot. And needless to say that englands anthem wasnt well recieved by the scots.

Not to knock NFL, but the atmosphere at Rugby games, although not as loud as when fed-ex boo's the opposing teams offence, is so much better, and so much more fun. Rugby fans are fantastic (the whole game played and supported in such a great spirit) that it puts to shame the artificial atmosphere of an NFL game.

Roll on the criti:cheers: cism...

And soccer crowds (in Europe) can be rowdy too. Different game, different culture. Heck, even in the NFL, you can notice different types of fans in each city.

To each their own I suppose. :)

They call NFL players wimps?!? I'd dare any one of them to play special teams and bust that wedge against Mike Sellers. Good luck with that. :laugh:

Have you seen the physique of rugby players? They simply don't compare to the average NFL athlete or even NCAA athletes. I'm not sure I'd call any NFL player a wimp :)

However, I've got nothing but respect for rugby players. They're good athletes.... and they play without pads (ie. equipment). That makes them crazy.... broken twisted noses, scars, missing teeth crazy.

Both athletes are tough... one sport is more crazier than the other. I'll leave it at that. :)

Myself, I'd play the sport that offers me 100x the pay scale... and doesn't deform my face :laugh:

They call NFL players wimps?!? I'd dare any one of them to play special teams and bust that wedge against Mike Sellers. Good luck with that. :laugh:

Alot of football players wouldn't go near Rugby...no pads to protect them. Not to mention, football players don't tackle like Rugby players.

I've also heard though that some rugby players wouldn't play football for various reasons, but the bad tackling is one of them. Rugby players although hit as hard if not harder then football players of the same caliber, have more respect for their opponent and don't try and take out the knees. Rugby tackling you have to wrap the player as well...the stupid shoulder blocks are illegal.

I'm still suprised that there aren't more clubs looking for rugby players...some of those players have more tackling ability then some of the better football players.

Like DH said. To each their own. I'm quite certain that's got to be an awsome moment that you describe. However, I will say for me,( while admitting I've no experience watching Rugby or Soccer at the level you folks have), an amazing atmosphere is singing Hail To the Redskins along with around 90,000 other Redskins fans,( give or take a few ;) ), in FedEx after a Skins TD. Against the Cowboys even. :)

I'm still suprised that there aren't more clubs looking for rugby players...some of those players have more tackling ability then some of the better football players.

Again, look at the physiques. There aren't going to be too many rugby players that can run a 4.4 40 :) And there isn't going to be many rugby players with the physique to play offensive line in the NFL.

Fullback, linebackers and safeties... I can possibly see.

However, whenever I read about these college athletes about to get drafted... and the knock on the kid is that they didn't start playing football until they were in High School (or a HS senior).... it indicates that there's a lot of technique involved that cannot be made up for in a 7-year span :)

So for these rugby players... to just up and play NFL football.. no matter how strong they are... is just unlikely.

I sort of respect Rugby and Soccer more actually. Those players, especially in Rugby, always have to be in motion pretty much. They are more versatile too, as they must be aware of the ball at all times.

In football, you run a play for 10 seconds, rest for another 40, and repeat. Then you switch units, and may get anywhere from a 5-30 minute break or something. In Soccer, you only get 3 subs per game.

Football athletes are probably better trained, but it is a more specialized position training, not necessarily good or bad.

Make no mistake, these guys are tough. Very tough. And the atmosphere reminds me more of American college football - very intense.

But when Australian Rugby players laugh at NFL players for wearing pads, Darren Bennet, who's from Australia and has kicked in the NFL, said that he tells them, "You have no idea how big and fast these Americans are."

BTW, you know what's one of the worst jobs in the world? Being a bouncer in a bar, and having two rugby teams show up after a match. You're in for a long day. :)

BTW, you know what's one of the worst jobs in the world? Being a bouncer in a bar, and having two rugby teams show up after a match. You're in for a long day. :)

Know that one. :) Rugby is well known out here in the west. The Park City Muckers have a proud and, er.....colorful history here in town. Pictures of the team, going back 30 + years hang on the walls of the locals favorite bar along with shirts and a rugby ball. When I was bouncing and bartending, there were several times when the fellows would make their way up the street to where I worked. My word of advice to the doormen and other bartenders was, (after telling them we were outnumbered and in big trouble), " stay out of the way and get ready to call the police. Bartenders, get them fall down drunk as fast as possible". Or something like that. ;)

Again, look at the physiques. There aren't going to be too many rugby players that can run a 4.4 40 :) And there isn't going to be many rugby players with the physique to play offensive line in the NFL.

However, whenever I read about these college athletes about to get drafted... and the knock on the kid is that they didn't start playing football until they were in High School (or a HS senior).... it indicates that there's a lot of technique involved that cannot be made up for in a 7-year span :)

So for these rugby players... to just up and play NFL football.. no matter how strong they are... is just unlikely.

Actually, some of the "pro" rugby players do have the physique of a football player. It all depends on which position you are talking about in what they look like. Same with football.

But you are right about the technique. I can see how that may be a hindrence, but since I know what Rugby plays actually look like, I don't think they'd have too much problems learning the football plays. But I could be wrong in that.

Actually, some of the "pro" rugby players do have the physique of a football player. It all depends on which position you are talking about in what they look like. Same with football.

But you are right about the technique. I can see how that may be a hindrence, but since I know what Rugby plays actually look like, I don't think they'd have too much problems learning the football plays. But I could be wrong in that.

Jason Robinson...very fast and tough...retired England International...but on every team there are players who play this position and who are similar physique: 2406-fitzy,0.jpg

However, I will say for me,( while admitting I've no experience watching Rugby or Soccer at the level you folks have), an amazing atmosphere is singing Hail To the Redskins along with around 90,000 other Redskins fans,( give or take a few ;) ), in FedEx after a Skins TD. Against the Cowboys even. :)

:cheers:

Dont get me wrong, id love to do that...and fingers crossed this seasons the year...but for me its 60,000 or so people singing Swing Low Sweet Chariot whilst beating the French at our own game....

Its not a competition obviously, its just where we differ!:cheers:

I disagree that Rugby players hit as hard as football players. Football is a game of yardage, Rugby is a game of possession. Even on the goal line in Rugby it may not be in your best interest to just jack the guy up as hard as you can, you might just make enough contact so you can secure him and then set a maul to your team. Football where ever and when ever you make a tackle, you are trying to stop him where hes at and give up as little yardage as possible.

Plus football players wear pads and are able to hit harder, Ive seen many a guy who came out onto the pitch who was still tackling like he was playing football bust his collar bone. Its two radically different approachs to tackling techniques between the two sports, for two completely different goals.

AYE, SCOTLAND!! Kick those bloody English sissies all the way back to London!! :)

Tackling in rugby is very different, as some have mentioned. You must wrap, and you cannot leave your feet. So while there are definitely hard hits, the Sean Taylor/Jerry Porter type explosions are pretty rare.

There is also no blocking in rugby...and no stoppage. So while most rugby players probably athleticly wouldn't make it in the NFL (although there could be some potential linemen and RBs - Jason Robinson for one) the average professional rugby player is in much better condition than the average NFL player.

But rugby players are so fit compared to other sportsman...80 minutes of constant running, tackling and scrumming....(apart from half time).

And certain positions have to be huge, heavy men...in the scrum for example, who definitely have the strength for the offensive line...: 21scrum.jpg

Thats england pushing back australia by the way.

I disagree that Rugby players hit as hard as football players. Football is a game of yardage, Rugby is a game of possession. Even on the goal line in Rugby it may not be in your best interest to just jack the guy up as hard as you can, you might just make enough contact so you can secure him and then set a maul to your team. Football where ever and when ever you make a tackle, you are trying to stop him where hes at and give up as little yardage as possible.

Plus football players wear pads and are able to hit harder, Ive seen many a guy who came out onto the pitch who was still tackling like he was playing football bust his collar bone. Its two radically different approachs to tackling techniques between the two sports, for two completely different goals.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2038858658548114385&q=rugby+hits

notice how they almost always hold onto the ball as well?? and with no pads...

Rugby is a game of field position as well. This is why teams will punt the ball back and forth; its an attempt to gain ground. Possesion is key, yes, but field position is more important. And as far as the goalline is concerned, the only thing on the defense's mind is to keep the other team out of the try-zone. Oh, and FYI, a maul is an offensive term ;).

Actually, the fundamental tackle is the same in rugby as it is in American football; its just that's the only tackle a rugby player can make.

But rugby players are so fit compared to other sportsman...80 minutes of constant running, tackling and scrumming....(apart from half time).

I can attest to this. In high-school, I used to half-ass it at football practice all the time and not have any problems during the games. At rugby practice, however, if I half-assed it during the week, I'd be winded by the 15th minute!! :laugh:

Even though you don't do a ton of running, its the run, get hit, pop back up and run again that is extremely tiring. A good thing to do to get in shape, actually, is to jog around a field, and every 10-15 yards or so, drop to the ground and get back up without using your hands and keep running. After one or two laps you'll feel it. :)

I can attest to this. In high-school, I used to half-ass it at football practice all the time and not have any problems during the games. At rugby practice, however, if I half-assed it during the week, I'd be winded by the 15th minute!! :laugh:

Even though you don't do a ton of running, its the run, get hit, pop back up and run again that is extremely tiring. A good thing to do to get in shape, actually, is to jog around a field, and every 10-15 yards or so, drop to the ground and get back up without using your hands and keep running. After one or two laps you'll feel it. :)

^^^Its the only way to do it....plus, the coaches get real angry if you dont give it your all....

Awesome video!! I've had my bell rung quite a few times...most of the time it was when I was the tackler however...:laugh:

Yer its strange how the tackler tends to get hurt more than the tackled...

When im training for Rugby i really annoy everyone by copying santana moss style spins etc as im tackled....because its real hard to tackle someone who is spinning away from contact...

that video is Rugby League, I was talking more about Union. I never played League, but from what Ive heard its more like football where it has downs and first down markers.

Mauls form whenever the ball carrier is contacted but not brought to the ground, rather he is grappled and turned with your team binding on to strip the ball from him. So while I can see what you mean that a maul is an offensive term, it begins on defense.

Also, you know this, the ball carrier can enter the end zone and not score. that is what I was talking about. That the pressing need isnt to just hit someone as hard as you can, the pressing need is to hit them and control possession. If you can grapple him and keep him standing without being able to pass, your team can set a maul and take possession. Of course ideally you dont want to do this in your endzone, but it was just an example of how the approach to tackling is different in Rugby than football.

Archived