Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

An alternate sport, an amazing atmosphere...

Sherlock Holmes

that video is Rugby League, I was talking more about Union. I never played League, but from what Ive heard its more like football where it has downs and first down markers.

Mauls form whenever the ball carrier is contacted but not brought to the ground, rather he is grappled and turned with your team binding on to strip the ball from him. So while I can see what you mean that a maul is an offensive term, it begins on defense.

Also, you know this, the ball carrier can enter the end zone and not score. that is what I was talking about. That the pressing need isnt to just hit someone as hard as you can, the pressing need is to hit them and control possession. If you can grapple him and keep him standing without being able to pass, your team can set a maul and take possession. Of course ideally you dont want to do this in your endzone, but it was just an example of how the approach to tackling is different in Rugby than football.

Yep theres definitely different goals when it comes to tackling in the two sports...

Yep that was league...and i suppose it isnt disimilar to NFL, because there is seven Thases to a possesion (7 tackles) before you have to kick it away if you didnt get to the try line....

But i still do think rugby players hit as hard as Nfl players sometimes...

Union is your preference then?

Yep theres definitely different goals when it comes to tackling in the two sports...

Yep that was league...and i suppose it isnt disimilar to NFL, because there is seven Thases to a possesion (7 tackles) before you have to kick it away if you didnt get to the try line....

But i still do think rugby players hit as hard as Nfl players sometimes...

Union is your preference then?

Union is all Ive played or for that matter ever seen. I have heard of League but have never seen it played not even on tv.

Im not saying Ruggers dont hit hard, Im just saying that the NFL players are accorded the padding and the goal of the tackle that encourages harder hitting every time. I guess where Im going wrong is Im comming across as sounding like Ruggers cant hit as hard as the NFL, what Im trying to say is that hitting as hard as the NFL is not a priority in a Rugby tackle.

that video is Rugby League, I was talking more about Union. I never played League, but from what Ive heard its more like football where it has downs and first down markers.

I've never played League either...but rugby Union hits just as hard.

Mauls form whenever the ball carrier is contacted but not brought to the ground, rather he is grappled and turned with your team binding on to strip the ball from him. So while I can see what you mean that a maul is an offensive term, it begins on defense.

Mauls form around the ball carrier...I may be mistaken, but I thought it was an offensive tactic and the defense is trying to stop the maul. That's how I was taught, anyway. There is no advantage to a maul on defense...it means the offensive player was not taken to the ground, which is your goal on defense...

The offensive player goes into the tackle, staying on his feet and turns his back. The first guy there rips the ball, and the rest link on and drive the maul. This process is repeated until the ball is taken out of the maul...9 times out of 10 by the offense (in my experience).

Also, you know this, the ball carrier can enter the end zone and not score. that is what I was talking about. That the pressing need isnt to just hit someone as hard as you can, the pressing need is to hit them and control possession. If you can grapple him and keep him standing without being able to pass, your team can set a maul and take possession. Of course ideally you dont want to do this in your endzone, but it was just an example of how the approach to tackling is different in Rugby than football.

Yeah...you have to "touch down" the ball to score. But if the defense focuses on the maul on the trlyline, it would free up the backs and a couple quick passes and the offesnse would score easily. If the defense didn't focus on the maul, the offense would push over easily and touch the ball down. A "defensive maul" as you put it would be very bad tactics on the goal line.

I'd have to say the best thing about rugby, however, is the drink-ups. But only if you're not named Man of the Match. I got that honor once, and not only had a pint glass duct-taped to my hand (which had to be constantly filled) I had to drink an entire bowl of this mix of liquors...:puke: I wasn't the same for a couple days...:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Question: Is the Zulu Warrior a tradition on the other side of the pond, or is that an American addition?

I disagree that Rugby players hit as hard as football players. Football is a game of yardage, Rugby is a game of possession. Even on the goal line in Rugby it may not be in your best interest to just jack the guy up as hard as you can, you might just make enough contact so you can secure him and then set a maul to your team. Football where ever and when ever you make a tackle, you are trying to stop him where hes at and give up as little yardage as possible.

Plus football players wear pads and are able to hit harder, Ive seen many a guy who came out onto the pitch who was still tackling like he was playing football bust his collar bone. Its two radically different approachs to tackling techniques between the two sports, for two completely different goals.

How many pro games have you seen irl? I've seen a couple and they hit hard. They hit different but just as hard. It is a different style of tackling. I will say this, alot of clubs don't like playing american clubs due to how Americans hit.

How many pro games have you seen irl? I've seen a couple and they hit hard. They hit different but just as hard. It is a different style of tackling. I will say this, alot of clubs don't like playing american clubs due to how Americans hit.

They had a World Cup qualifier in Ft. Lauderdale a few years ago between USA and Spain that I got to go see live. And yes, the Eagles were lighting them Spanish boys up!!

They had a World Cup qualifier in Ft. Lauderdale a few years ago between USA and Spain that I got to go see live. And yes, the Eagles were lighting them Spanish boys up!!

WTF...look below for the real post...I think my computer needs as much coffee as I do :D

That's because Spain sucks =).

Gotta watch the southern hemisphere teams like NZ, Aus, and South Africa. Those guys are SICK!

England is getting to be like that too.

I once flew with the Scottish National Rugby team from London Heathrow to Paris Orly (1998) maybe it was for that 6 nations tournament. All I know is that they can put the alcohol back. There was drinking and singing, pretty freaking awesome really.

I played Rugby for several years in college and law school. I was a hooker, which is the moron in the middle of the scrum getting smashed flat trying to hook the ball with his feet.

I only mention this because it allows me to say this, in all truthfullness, to the ladies at the bar...

"I was a starter on a football team that beat Notre Dame, in South Bend."

I don't explain further than that, like what kind of football.... :D

I played Rugby for several years in college and law school. I was a hooker, which is the moron in the middle of the scrum getting smashed flat trying to hook the ball with his feet.

I only mention this because it allows me to say this, in all truthfullness, to the ladies at the bar...

"I was a starter on a football team that beat Notre Dame, in South Bend."

I don't explain further than that, like what kind of football.... :D

Moron in the middle! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I hated playing prop, but I was always glad I wasn't the hooker...:laugh: Second row was my favorite position to play...

Anyone got any good rugby stories? (Clean ones :D) I remember my first game ever, we were playing against Broward men's club on their shoddy field. One of the try zones was flooded with a foot of water, and there were anthills all over the field. Anyway, in the first five minutes I went down to one knee after rucking over, and got up to chase the ball. Someone knocked it on before I got there, and we scrummed. As I was running up to the scrum, all of a sudden I felt this burning sensation all over my left leg. I look down, and there are at least a hundred red ants all over my leg, and they had all bitten me at once. I stop and start wiping them off. I had little bumps all over my legs for 4 months and scars for 4 months after that. I still might have a few here and there...:laugh:

Moron in the middle! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I hated playing prop, but I was always glad I wasn't the hooker...:laugh: Second row was my favorite position to play...

Anyone got any good rugby stories? (Clean ones :D) I remember my first game ever, we were playing against Broward men's club on their shoddy field. One of the try zones was flooded with a foot of water, and there were anthills all over the field. Anyway, in the first five minutes I went down to one knee after rucking over, and got up to chase the ball. Someone knocked it on before I got there, and we scrummed. As I was running up to the scrum, all of a sudden I felt this burning sensation all over my left leg. I look down, and there are at least a hundred red ants all over my leg, and they had all bitten me at once. I stop and start wiping them off. I had little bumps all over my legs for 4 months and scars for 4 months after that. I still might have a few here and there...:laugh:

you are all single digit cavemen :D .

I'll stick to my doublke digits thank you. :D

They tried me at second row once. my second try at a scrum, my head hit the butt of some fat prop in front of me...not exactly where I wanted my face to go. They finally got me in a game...line out was to me, lifted me, hooker threw the ball WAY over my head, the guy lifting me....dropped me. My second row career lasted all of 45 secs of regulation playing time.

As for a clean story, I guess the funniest recent stor I have happened this summer. We were playing a team called New Japan. So, yes they were all short Japanese people. I'm a wing...I'm 6'2" about 225 lbs, so big for a wing, but my speed although not blazing is faster then one would expect. Needless to say they had problems tackling me. Well, it turns out the last few times I got the ball, I could make out one thing from them, and my teammates confirmed it...they were calling me Godzilla.

That's because Spain sucks =).

Gotta watch the southern hemisphere teams like NZ, Aus, and South Africa. Those guys are SICK!

England is getting to be like that too.

We beat Aus in Aus in the final of the last world cup. Amazing!

But had NZ got into the final and not Aus i think there could of been a different outcome...

We beat Aus in Aus in the final of the last world cup. Amazing!

But had NZ got into the final and not Aus i think there could of been a different outcome...

I agree. But England is getting so much better. The style they used to play was boring...seemed like all they did was kick. Last World Cup it looks like they are starting to go more towards the Southern Hemisphere style.

The All Blacks simply rock. As soon as they start that awesome Maori chanting, the other team is basically outpsyched and defeated.

The Haka?

One of my teammates does it all the time. Aparently, all the NZ clubs have thier own tribal version, and do it before games.

A comic strip called Get Fuzzy had the main character (which is a cat) doing it...it was awesome.

Archived