Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question for those non D.C. Skins fans...

No_Pressure

Alright, for the next season...school year I will be moving out to Flagstaff Arizona with my brother for college...I absolutly can NOT miss a single skins game, yet im sure I wont find the game in any local bar (if they would let me in under 21) and the only other alternatives I can think of are some of these online services, or the NFL Packages with Cable companies...

What services do you non D.C. or east coast guys use to view all the Redskins action? Which is the best way to go? Remember: College- limited budget :)

Tough one...

I bit the bullet and got direct TV ($50/month + $250 for the NFL packet) cause I couldn't deal with missing any games. If you and your brother are getting an apartment that would allow this, start saving up now, it's the easiest way.

If you will be in a dorm, or just can't figure out a way to afford directv.... if there is a sports bar in town that will let you in (call around, search the internet), by all means do that. I spent many travelling years getting my skins that way. Unfortunately, the IF in that situation is a big one.

If the bars don't let you in, you can start by posting a thread to find out who the other extremeskins in Flagstaff are. They might be able to point you in the right direction, or maybe you might even start a watching party with them if they have direct TV. Maybe you could offer to bring food, etc...

Overall, I'd just say think inside and outside the box, don't be afraid to step up and ask people questions if you need to whether it's here on Extremeskins or in Flagstaff, and remember that your ultimate goal, to watch the game, is noble and potentially very fruitful.

Good luck and HTTR!!

Tough one...

I bit the bullet and got direct TV ($50/month + $250 for the NFL packet) cause I couldn't deal with missing any games. If you and your brother are getting an apartment that would allow this, start saving up now, it's the easiest way.

If you will be in a dorm, or just can't figure out a way to afford directv.... if there is a sports bar in town that will let you in (call around, search the internet), by all means do that. I spent many travelling years getting my skins that way. Unfortunately, the IF in that situation is a big one.

If the bars don't let you in, you can start by posting a thread to find out who the other extremeskins in Flagstaff are. They might be able to point you in the right direction, or maybe you might even start a watching party with them if they have direct TV. Maybe you could offer to bring food, etc...

Overall, I'd just say think inside and outside the box, don't be afraid to step up and ask people questions if you need to whether it's here on Extremeskins or in Flagstaff, and remember that your ultimate goal, to watch the game, is noble and potentially very fruitful.

Good luck and HTTR!!

You should be a motivational speaker :)

In response to everything, the sunday ticket seems like it would cost too much, my brother is a skins fan but a "fiscally responsable" *cough*cheap*cough* fan who wouldnt go half in with me on that...I will make it #2 priority when I get out there this summer to find a local bar where I could watch the game...I dont think that anybody out there goes to watch the cardinals games ever at their stadium or in a bar so I wont have to compete with that much :)

Oh and the #1 priority is buying a new rifle, and putting down the $3500 on a 1967 Mercury Cougar :D

*Edit* and yes that would be NAU.

You should be a motivational speaker :)

In response to everything, the sunday ticket seems like it would cost too much, my brother is a skins fan but a "fiscally responsable" *cough*cheap*cough* fan who wouldnt go half in with me on that...I will make it #2 priority when I get out there this summer to find a local bar where I could watch the game...I dont think that anybody out there goes to watch the cardinals games ever at their stadium or in a bar so I wont have to compete with that much :)

Oh and the #1 priority is buying a new rifle, and putting down the $3500 on a 1967 Mercury Cougar :D

*Edit* and yes that would be NAU.

I would get the direct tv then the rifle, because if I was you, I would shoot myself If I had to miss the Skins. It happened to me for a 2 year stretch in college. I went to school from 91 to 96 and the 93 and 94 seasons I did miss a few (and the only few in 23 years) because I couldn't get into a sports bar being under 21. I was lucky that I went to school only 3 hours from DC and got to see most of the games. But with direct tv being so popular, I'm sure you can find somewhere to watch the games.

I'm a college student too and I live in NC. I have the fortune of seeing the 'Skins on local TV if the Panthers aren't playing at the same time. When they aren't on TV, I go to a local bar and watch the game. You can probably find a bar with NFL Sunday Ticket. Most bars that pay for this also have enough televisions for each game.

Since you're eighteen and you may not be able to get into some bars, you may want to try local restaurants. I know the TGI Friday's here has Sunday Ticket. You can just go in and buy the cheapest thing on the menu and sit and watch the entire game.

:cheers:

I would get the direct tv then the rifle, because if I was you, I would shoot myself If I had to miss the Skins.

Heh maybe thats the idea :)

But yeah I just hope the sports bars out there arent weird...like...ya know....not really sports bars cause there is no real football in Arizona...

Just buy the Sunday Ticket. You don't have to maintain the service for the entire year, just for the season and then pay the money for the Ticket $200.00 I think.

You may have to sign a 1 year contract to get the dish and equipment for free but beyond that, you'd be fine. That or buy the equipment on EBay and you won't have a contract.

I suggest one of 3 things

1) Find a local sports bar/restaraunt that has the DirecTV package.

2) Get teh DirecTV package (my dad did this and he thinks its the best money he's ever spent)

3) Get a sirius radio (I got one and I think its the best money i've ever spent.)

OK, man. I go to NC State. Luckily, I live three 3 hours from home in Northeastern NC which is still in the Redskins TV market. But when I'm in Raleigh I just go to a sports bar. The only thing you'll pay for is your meal or drink or whatever. That's the way to go on our budgets.

This year I went to a sports bar to watch the games. Next year, my dad is going to order Sunday Ticket. There is one idea that I had a while ago but I have no idea if it will work.

I don't know if any of you know about the slingbox, but it looks like a very sweet technology that could be useful if you know someone who can get the skins games. Check it out at slingbox.com. I may get that this year so I can watch the games from my dorm when I go to college instead of having to come home every weekend.

One interesting thing I heard, that I'm personally thinking about looking into, is that if you get a dish, DirecTV, DishNetwork, etc, you can ask the technician to simply add one channel for you. That channel would be the DC area Fox network. SO, you would have your local Fox, and on a different channel, the Fox that airs around DC. If you aren't in it to get EVERY game, and simply want Skins games, it's a heck of a lot cheaper than the Sunday Ticket. If anyone tries this before I do, could you please let me know.

I live In los Angeles... so we basically get the most popular games

I try and log in at this board to keep with my news.

2 years ago, i only saw the skins in the main games like monday night football, sunday night games... they lost all of them... which didnt help the demand

this year i saw more than half of the skins games, because they were winning so people were demanding them and they were meaningful. In fact they showed every game that was part of the 5 game winning streak except for the rams game i think.

-bears

-boys

-seahawks

-giants

-cards

-boys

-giants

-eagles

-eagles

-bucs

-raiders

all the games i saw on tv, plus one more i might have not mention

SO for markets like LA, If SKINs are winning, I will be seeing most of the games on regular tv and cable.

And people like myself will be happy.

in pre season, all the skin games are shown on KTLA.

Well .. until you mentioned the limited budget I would have said what *I* use is DirecTV in conjunction with a TiVo and Sirius to har Sonny and Sam. However, maybe you could just do DirecTV, especially if you find some other Skins fans out there (you never know!) who could pitch in. Otherwise you probably could find a sports bar which is Skins friendly.

You might also want to check into the newsgroup alt.sports.football.pro.wash-redskins. I've posted there since about 1996 and there is a guy there who lives in Phoenix who is a rabid Skins fan. He knows of all the Skins hangouts in the area. He may be aware if there are any in Flagstaff (although Flagstaff is a long way away .. so maybe not). Post there with Arizona in the subject header and he may be able to help you.

NFL-ST cost me $200 this year. Those of you who pay $250 are getting screwed! Then again, I've subscribed to ST since 1995 so maybe I'm getting a special deal. I DO remember thought that it used to be only $119. Still, ST is the best $200 I spend every year. The enjoyment my wife and I get out of it for 4 months of every year is WELL worth it!

Archived