Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If You Could Have Lived At Any Point In Earth's History, When Would That Be?

dfitzo53

This thread, I hope, can give everyone something to think about without giving anyone something to argue about.

If you'd like to have met Jesus or the Buddha, that's fine. I think that'd be something pretty special. Just don't turn this into a religious argument.

If you'd like to have met George Washington, heard the Gettysburg Address or sat in on the Roman Senate, cool. Just don't turn this into a political trainwreck of a thread.

If you'd like to have gone on the Lewis & Clark Expedition, rediscovered the New World with Christopher Columbus or participated in the spectacle that gladiatorial combat must have been, great.

Oh, and don't just say when. Say why. Have fun with this.

Is 'right now' a good answer? I wouldn't want to miss this week's episode of Lost :)

But if I HAD to move, I think the 50's and 60's would have been a great time. I think that is when America passed into her teenage years. A lot of new discoveries and a lot of prosperity thru those times.

A few others come to mind... Victorian England, the height of the Roman Empire... but the problem there is healthcare. Can I bring a modern day doctor with me? Because that changes the rules. :)

Would like to have lived around 1700. The age of enlightenment. To be around Isaac Newton and others of the era that sought to bring physical order to the world. To be there as the principles of scientific thought were born. I think that would have been pretty cool.

totally the Roman Empire for me(hey hippies, big shock right). Would have to check out a few gladiator fights, definately would need to see the Legions in action both on field and in seige, would have to check out the horse senator, so much to do I would really need to be able to bounce arround the era.

I go through different phases of when i would've had liked to live. Sometimes i think the 1500's (being a Pirate would have been stellar), sometimes i think Medieval times would have been cool. And sometimes i think anytime in the first quarter of the 20th Century would have been a blast - imagine being alive for the roaring twenties - birth of jazz, speakeasy, zoot suits. :D

Good old Search feature. I think you'll agree that sometimes it's worth starting fresh though, especially after four years.

For this thread you don't have to be purely an observer, but let's not go re-writing 160,000 years of human history (or pre-history as the case may be.)

Zoony, while I agree that life is pretty good right here and now, the point of the thread is do a little stretching of the imagination.

EDIT: And I'm glad I'm not the only daydreamer around here. I'll post my views in a little while, maybe tomorrow.

For this thread you don't have to be purely an observer, but let's not go re-writing 160,000 years of human history (or pre-history as the case may be.)

well wait a second there. I wouldnt go back in time with no prime directive hanging over my head, Im definately gonna clue them in to stuff so Im the next best thing and up with the riches.

Otherwise then Im staying with my modern loves.

Aw man, here come the politicos and zealots. They are going to say 'I'd go back stop the Gospel from being written.' or 'I'd go back and tell Monica she's being taped.' :doh:

This was unnecessary.

Let's see if we can't actually have a thread without contrived drama, okay?

Must have been the "here come the politikos and zealots" that threw me. :)

No worries. Back to the matter at hand ...

Me, I'm thinking I'm not going anywhere. We're smack dab in the middle of the Information Age, on the cusp of the Democratic Age, probably within a generation or two of beating or at least cheating biological death, and for the first time seriously contemplating the reality of other intelligent life in the universe.

I consider myself a very lucky human being to not only be living in this time, but fortunate enough to have been born into a situation where I can think about and enjoy it.

oh man...there are too many for me to even say, Be there for the fall of troy, The beginning of the wall of china, roman gladiator fights, Charlemagne's conquests in europe, columbus, the civil war....wow

But for me, I would have to go back to 1776 and the time of the American Revolution. To meet the real "founding fathers" and know what they were really like. This way I can see how accurate history books are, and see how much of our history of our country is real, and how much is the "great man" history.

Must have been the "here come the politikos and zealots" that threw me. :)

No worries. Back to the matter at hand ...

Me, I'm thinking I'm not going anywhere. We're smack dab in the middle of the Information Age, on the cusp of the Democratic Age, probably within a generation or two of beating or at least cheating biological death, and for the first time seriously contemplating the reality of other intelligent life in the universe.

I consider myself a very lucky human being to not only be living in this time, but fortunate enough to have been born into a situation where I can think about and enjoy it.

Plus, you got to witness both of Coach Gibbs' tenures. :D

I would say the renissance era in Florence Italy. You had more science and art knowledge in one city then at any other time in the modern era. People like Leonardo da Vinci, Nicolaus Copernicus, Galileo, Tycho Brahe, and Johannes Kepler along with artists Michelangelo Buonarroti, Raphael, Donatello, Botticelli (before the Bonfire of the Vanities of course)

To have every one of those people living in the same town at the same time is simply astounding. I would absolutely LOVE to go back to that point in time and learn from some of the greatest human minds of our day.

As a second choice, I would have to say 1780's and witness the great thinkers a few generations later sit down and write out the perfect laws for a great government.

Two of the best events human kind has ever seen, the birth of the United States, and the Renaissance in Florence.

I would say the renissance era in Florence Italy. You had more science and art knowledge in one city then at any other time in the modern era. People like Leonardo da Vinci, Nicolaus Copernicus, Galileo, Tycho Brahe, and Johannes Kepler along with artists Michelangelo Buonarroti, Raphael, Donatello, Botticelli

I didn't know they had the teenage mutant ninja turtles back then. :D

There are so many possibilities, so many events I'd like to see, defining battles, heroes in action.

But I'd like to see the birth of the nation and talk to the Founding Fathers. I think it would be especially interesting to talk to James Madison to get the true meaning/intent/interpretation of the Constitution

I would have to choose the Dinosaur age....millions of years ago...!

I think it would be VERY peaceful and no wars except those Dino's goin' at it...!

Way before the waters were polluted...Beautiful countryside and forestation and such....

Of course...I'd probably have to be quite careful cause I'm sure there were species that were quite vicious that haven't even been introduced to us or even explored about...Mysteries?

Be a good way to also see what really killed the Dino's...Of course...I'd hit my timetravel butten just in the nick of time?

Archived