Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Plea to Redskins Mgmt - Please stop trading future picks!

Drabus

The Redskins have established a long-standing trend of trading away future draft picks in order to pick up a player or move up/around in the draft. Obviously, this has resulted in mixed success.

Now that the Redskins seem to be poised at a good run the next couple of years, with the team having quality starters at almost every position, I hope the team's management will start keeping their draft picks to keep a steady stream of young talent into the organization.

I hope that on draft day, we manage to keep all of our picks for the 2007 draft and start grooming some future replacements with low-cap figures. It would be refreshing to have a pick remaining in every round of the draft for a change. :)

Being without a first round pick and fourth rounder this year is disheartening. (We'll have to see if J.Campbell was worth it!)

And if the team wants to make a splash, perhaps they'd package Ramsey with our #2 pick to move up...but please don't mortgage the future to make that happen.

Do you have any evidence that those picks that were traded away panned out to be superstars?

Frankly, I don't think it's too big a deal. The Skins got their QB of the future last year and he had a year to sit and watch and learn. Based upon where that draft pick will be this year is there someone as good (or better) than Campbell?

I wonder if we still the #22 pick. Brunell the starter, Ramsey the backup who still wants to be traded. Lord only knows who would been the 3rd QB. We still would need a young QB. With the #22 pick the top QB's would have been gone. But we could have got a DE with the #22 pick. But in the long run I think trading this years #1 will pay off.

Your post makes no sense.

You say the formula Gibbs has been using the last couple of off-seasons has only been met with mixed success.

Yet you also say the moves Gibbs and his staff have made has up set-up for "a good run for the next couple of years".

If you feel we are in a position to "make a run" the next couple of years, how can that be a mixed success?

I say let Gibbs handle it. If he trades away draft picks to move higher in the draft or to get a FA, so be it.

Folks complained when we gave up some draft picks to get Portis, Cooley, and Brunell. ALL three of these guys were key to get us into the playoffs this season. I don't see anyone missing those draft picks now. :)

The Redskins have established a long-standing trend of trading away future draft picks in order to pick up a player or move up/around in the draft. Obviously, this has resulted in mixed success.

Now that the Redskins seem to be poised at a good run the next couple of years, with the team having quality starters at almost every position, I hope the team's management will start keeping their draft picks to keep a steady stream of young talent into the organization.

I hope that on draft day, we manage to keep all of our picks for the 2007 draft and start grooming some future replacements with low-cap figures. It would be refreshing to have a pick remaining in every round of the draft for a change. :)

Being without a first round pick and fourth rounder this year is disheartening. (We'll have to see if J.Campbell was worth it!)

And if the team wants to make a splash, perhaps they'd package Ramsey with our #2 pick to move up...but please don't mortgage the future to make that happen.

Man don't say what you're saying. Its too much like right. This would require the Skins scouts to do homework. Its better if we just get capped out and not have draft picks.

There's nothing AT ALL disheartening at not having a first rounder this year as we had TWO last year and used one to groom a young QB for a year. That's very sound, stable planning getting a free year of grooming for two mid-level picks (swapping firsts). Who here wasn't thrilled to death at giving up a first rounder for a highly productive receiver like Coles, who has merged into a MORE productive receiver like Moss?

I'd FAR prefer to use picks on established players than to guess on the draft. I imagine most of us would.

Your post makes no sense.

Folks complained when we gave up some draft picks to get Portis, Cooley, and Brunell. ALL three of these guys were key to get us into the playoffs this season. I don't see anyone missing those draft picks now. :)

I agree except for that second rounder thrown in for Portis. There is no way you can convince me that eventually, Denver would not have done the trade straight up given their extreme need for plenty of years for a corner and their history of developing running backs.

I have never like the 49ers organization but if it was one thing that they did well years ago was spotting talent in the later rounds and making them count.

I for one am not a big fan on drafting anyone in the first round. Very very rarely do they ever really pan out being worth every cent of dumped into all picks that are taken in the first round.

Lets face it, the agents are the ones that benefit off first round picks. It doesn't matter who it is.... if he goes first round then he needs to make a certain amount of money, with a certain amount in signing bonuses....by the time it comes down to actually pulling your weight is when the disappointment usually come in.

There's nothing AT ALL disheartening at not having a first rounder this year as we had TWO last year and used one to groom a young QB for a year. That's very sound, stable planning getting a free year of grooming for two mid-level picks (swapping firsts). Who here wasn't thrilled to death at giving up a first rounder for a highly productive receiver like Coles, who has merged into a MORE productive receiver like Moss?

I'd FAR prefer to use picks on established players than to guess on the draft. I imagine most of us would.

I have to agree. It feels far more comfortable to take a player with proven NFL experience than to risk time, money and effort on a kid who may or may not be up to the challenge of Professional Football.

I agree whole heartedly with your plea. I think we have almost all of the components of a SuperBowl caliber team right now. We need to treat our picks in the draft as our bloodline to keeping our team young/fresh. It also will help with the knowledge transfer and coaching of these young players. They would be afforded the opportunity to learn their position from experienced, high quality veterans. Taking that into consideration with our coaching staff, our player development could be quite successful. Unfortunately, Gibbs isn't a big fan of the Draft so as long as he is here I think the trend will continue.

There are advantages to building through the draft and disadvantages.

The advantage is it is much easier to keep the cap in shape if you are getting solid play from players who were drafted in the later rounds.

The disadvantage is that all rounds of the draft are a crapshoot. Even Bobby Beathard, who I think everyone will agree was a great GM, had a spotty record in early rounds. He did excel at finding late round gems but even then it was still hit or miss. It was just that he had a better record than most in the later rounds. People forget that you could stockpile players by putting them on IR in the old days which gave teams the ability to develop late round picks. With the salary cap it is much tougher to do.

And before you lament the draft picks we gave up maybe you should check out who was picked in the spots we gave up.

2. Denver RB Tatum Bell (good runner, poor blocker)

3. Jacksonville LB Jorge Cordova (zero tackles in two years)

3. Denver DB Karl Paymah (5th string DB)

Here is what we got for those players:

RB Clinton Portis

QB Mark Brunell

QB Jason Campbell

Granted we also gave up an already gone Champ Bailey and a 4th rounder this year in addition but I would still take the three we ended up with 100 times out of 100.

I agree whole heartedly with your plea. I think we have almost all of the components of a SuperBowl caliber team right now. We need to treat our picks in the draft as our bloodline to keeping our team young/fresh. It also will help with the knowledge transfer and coaching of these young players. They would be afforded the opportunity to learn their position from experienced, high quality veterans. Taking that into consideration with our coaching staff, our player development could be quite successful. Unfortunately, Gibbs isn't a big fan of the Draft so as long as he is here I think the trend will continue.[/quote

I do not think the draft is that big of a deal. The Steelers drafted there key players. But look at the Seahawks. Most of there offense and defense was from free agency.

The only formula that works is have a defense playing a top level and QB playing great.

every trade the Redskins have made has worked out besides Mark Brunell. Or the trade has been even like the Champ Bailey trade.

The one that will decide if we are going to be a super bowl team is if Campbell is a smart QB like he was in college.

You dont stop do you? You mean the QB that got us into the playoffs.

Dont bother responding. Ive heard all your propaganda before.

You would be a sad sad GM/Coach. With you in there we would be as bad as the Saints every year.

The draft is only 7 rounds now -- used to be 12. (wasn't Monte Coleman a 12th round pick?) This means that there are a lot more potential role players/diamonds in the rough out there that are going undrafted..... For that reason, I don't have a problem trading picks for proven players -- we can pick up role players as undrafted free agents.

Archived