Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What if Favre were a Redskin?

AllRedskinsAllTheTime

Last year it was mentioned that if we were to cut Mark Brunell it would have to be this year because of the hit we would have taken had we cut him last year. The fact that he had a decent season, coupled with the fact that we lack another viable option, especially if we hope to build on last year, has saved him his job. But, what if we cut him, and traded for Brett Favre in a way similar to how we traded for Brunell. Favre should want out if he doesn't already. What a better way to retire then winning a super bowl or two? I mean, I'm not suggesting we give up a second round pick, or a star player, just a small package that green bay would be interested in. For them, with a team that can't win with Favre, and a team who isn't going to make Favre comfortable with staying unretired, it'd make sense for them to get what they can before he splits. Here we can offer him talent, so he doesn't have to take all the pressure on himself, great coaches, great owners, great fans, and a chance to restore his legacy after last year.

Favre may have had a bad year, but theres no doubt in my mind that he would lead us farther than Brunell, especially with the talent we have here in Washington, and the Coaching staff. Plus, Favre, unlike Brunell, has a reputation for staying healthy, and when he isn’t, playing through injuries. What do you all think? :helmet:

Got the idea from the following article, which is just speculation, but it makes sense:http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=whitlock/060202

I apoligize if this has been posted already. If it has please commense with the flaming, banning, and bashing.

are we T.O. now??????

I understand your point, but what if Joe Montana were our QB... or how about Peyton Manning? Our QB is Brunell.... when Campbell is ready, he will then be our QB at least for a couple years.

Peyton Manning???

We'd never get to the Superbowl then. :D

I'm not showing disloyalty, I appreciate what Brunell did for us, but he clearly isn't a premiere Quarterback, and he clearly isnt the final answer, so if were just using him as a stop gap to Campbell, why not use Favre as that stop gap. It's good for Favre. It's good for us. I just want us to win, as much as possible, and while Brunell was greatly improved, it wouldn't have taken much for him to impress me after his first year here. Favre can be a guy who wins us games though. If were talking about someone like T.O., I'd say hell no, because he isn't Redskins material. But Favre is a great man and a great football player, and had he been available when Gibbs arrived I'm sure he would have chosen Favre over Brunell. Believe me though, if Brunell is quarterback opening day, I'll support Brunell, because I'm a Redskins fan, and I trust Gibbs. Just playing hypotheticals since the SuperBowl hasn't even happened yet, and I'm already going crazy for next year.

I agree with what the linked article said. I feel the same way. Favre can still play and he's stuck with an incompetent franchise. Trade him somewhere so he can finish his career meaningfully. Why do they even want a QB with 2 years left to run that obviously rebuilding franchise? They'd be better off trying to develop Rodgers at this point, anyways.

Favre would be perfect, the only reason he did so horrible last season is because of his team. If he were on this team the defense would give hime help so that he would not have to force plays, plus we have better offensive weapons period. Unlike Brunell, Favre has an absolute cannon. With a great defense like ours, and talented skill players on offense, theres no doubt that Favre would put up some big numbers and hes got the champion experience. If Favre is gonna get dealt, I hope we at least try to get him, forget about Brunell's cap hit or contract, with Favre we definitely would be contending. His arm will laso not wear down during the season.

p.s GREAT post, I was thinking about it after the Whitlock article also.

I love Brett Favre... but i hope he doesnt become a redskin. That would take too much pride away from him. Hes just like darell Green. He should stay a packer forever.

Isnt it hurting his pride to be on a gawd-awful team, why end his career going 3-13 or something similar, he deserves a chance to go out in chamionship style, if he means a lot to teh packers they should deal him to a contender, he deserves that

Brunell was brought in because he doesn't make ill advised passes. Favre LIVES off of making those passes. If Gibbs were comfortable with that type of gameplan I don't think he would have yanked Ramsey game 1.

To say Ramsey and Favre are the same quarterback, or even close, is a disservice to Favre. Yes, he's a Gunslinger, as is Ramsey, but he clearly has been able to balance his need for sticking it in tight places with a need to be conservative at various points in his career. He also hasn't regressed as much talent wise, nor is he as fragile, as Brunell. Brunell won't make a mistake (or as many), but he also captianed the worst offensive performance ever by a winning team in the playoffs, with the best single season performers the Redskins have ever had at WR and HB. Favre has proven he can win with lesser talent, and win big with great talent, Brunell has proved he is a fighter, and veteran, but he's old, fragile, and his skills are diminishing. had Brunell quarterbacked last years Packers, they'd have lost every game probably, and made at run at worst offensiveFavre is a winner. With Moss, another WR, Cooley, our line, Portis, our coaches, and our fans, no one can honestly tell me we wouldn't win more and play better. It won't happen, obviously, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't.

Favre would give Gibbs a heart-attack. I mean, did you see him play last year? Injuries or not, his decision-making was way worse than just being a gun-slinger. He routinely threw into triple coverage. Heck, even in the two years prior he made terrible season-ending picks that he only escaped criticism for because he's the legendary Brett Favre.

Favre would give Gibbs a heart-attack. I mean, did you see him play last year? Injuries or not, his decision-making was way worse than just being a gun-slinger. He routinely threw into triple coverage. Heck, even in the two years prior he made terrible season-ending picks that he only escaped criticism for because he's the legendary Brett Favre.

You think he would make those mistakes with our offensive players? not a chance. Hes perfect for Gibbs, who likes veterans, but he's won mor ethan Brunell ever has

I like Mark but you can not put him in the same sentence as Farve, I would LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE if Farve was on this team, and we would win a suerpbowl if he was there.

Everyone points to his bad year, but he had a 5th string rb, 4th and 5th string wr's and a terrible Oline. Farve is still one of the best QB's in the NFL today.

Guest GibbSkins11

when brunell gets his 2nd wr and leads us to a sb41 win i want u bashers to eat crow and let brunell hit u in the balls with a football,lol:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Guest GibbSkins11
I like Mark but you can not put him in the same sentence as Farve, I would LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE if Farve was on this team, and we would win a suerpbowl if he was there.

Everyone points to his bad year, but he had a 5th string rb, 4th and 5th string wr's and a terrible Oline. Farve is still one of the best QB's in the NFL today.

favre throws his passes like stevie wonder

(This season)Take a look at Favre's TD-INT ratio then look at Brunell's..then tell me what you think. Favre was an interception machine.

Put Brunell with those Packers and Favre with us this past season, we get further no doubt, and Favre's ratio would be much better

this franchise would roll out the red carpet for Brett Favre, but does Brett want to play for another team at this point in his career. He has already won a SuperBowl and has said he will most likely walk away from the game if he thinks the Packers are headed for a rebuilding year. I think the Skins and the coaching legends we have in DC could perhaps make him think about making a run in DC but its going to come down to Gibbs making the initial pursuit like he did with Saunders. I hope it happens, remember we almost got Elway when he was feuding with Dan Reeves back in the late 80's.

Put Brunell with those Packers and Favre with us this past season, we get further no doubt, and Favre's ratio would be much better

When i watched Brett play this season i noticed he just threw up hail marys a lot not even caring who was there and most of the time they were intercepted. He always forced passes when he should have thrown them away. Mark is smart when it comes to situations like that. I just don't even think Favre will be back playing for any team in 2006.

As long as Brett doesnt have to win the game all by himself hes great, when he won the Super Bowl he had Reggie White and a great defense, we have a great defense, plus we have Portis and Moss to make his job so so easy, not like Gado and Driver, his major plus over Brunell is arm strength, and that wont deteriorate over the season, mark starts with less arm and it gets worse with every game at the end

When i watched Brett play this season i noticed he just threw up hail marys a lot not even caring who was there and most of the time they were intercepted. He always forced passes when he should have thrown them away. Mark is smart when it comes to situations like that. I just don't even think Favre will be back playing for any team in 2006.

hello he was behind a terrible OL and no talent at wr and rb spots, what do you expect he had to force the issue to give them a chance, if you do not think we would have better with Brett at QB then it is clear you do not understand football.

If he had other players that could help he wouldn't have forced the issue.

Brunell did a great job last season but thats as good a job as he can do, can he really last the whole season and be efficient at the end, he cant, you know Favre is going to play every game hes not gonna get seriously hurt, and his arm strength will be constant, Brunell can not get us all the way, playoffs yes, super bowl no

Archived