8. Integrity: Closure

7. Social Distortion: White Light, White Heat, White Trash

6. Blood For Blood: Serenity

5. Blood For Blood: Outlaw Anthems

4. Social Distortion: Live at the Roxy

3. Misfits: American Psycho

2. Social Distortion: Sex, Love, and Rock ‘n Roll

1. Misfits: Famous Monsters

Genre's are just the words that people give to label something. If there's a widespread labeling of something using a certain word, then I don't see how you can argue it isn't, since there's nothing objective about it.

Webster's:

Genre:1 : a category of artistic, musical, or literary composition characterized by a particular style, form, or content.

Those defined categories do not change. Each contains elements which separate it from the others.

A Horror movie is not a Western.

A Musical is not a Greek Tragedy

:logo:

Radiohead - OK Computer

Modest Mouse - The Lonesome Crowded West

The Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium

Sufjan Stevens - Come On, Feel the Illinoise

Outkast - The Love Below

Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Radiohead - The Bends

The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots

Beck - Odelay

Sage Francis - Personal Journals

No order.

Webster's:

Genre:1 : a category of artistic, musical, or literary composition characterized by a particular style, form, or content.

Those defined categories do not change. Each contains elements which separate it from the others.

A Horror movie is not a Western.

A Musical is not a Greek Tragedy

But all language is nothing but groups of people coming up with commonly accepted terminology to describe things. Language changes throughout the years, Old English sounds different than modern english. It's difficult to read Shakespeare or the King James version of the bible, because of the differences in how people wrote and talked 500 years ago.

So, if it's commonly accepted that a certain word is used to describe a certain thing, and then later that same word describes another thing, but you refuse to use to describe the later thing, then all you're doing is refusing to move with the times. You're basing you musical language on out of date terminology.

But all language is nothing but groups of people coming up with commonly accepted terminology to describe things. Language changes throughout the years, Old English sounds different than modern english. It's difficult to read Shakespeare or the King James version of the bible, because of the differences in how people wrote and talked 500 years ago.

So, if it's commonly accepted that a certain word is used to describe a certain thing, and then later that same word describes another thing, but you refuse to use to describe the later thing, then all you're doing is refusing to move with the times. You're basing you musical language on out of date terminology.

You are missing the point.

A tree is a tree. Even if 1000 years from now people decide to call it a blark. The characteristics do not change just because the name does.

What out of date terminology?

You are missing the point.

A tree is a tree. Even if 1000 years from now people decide to call it a blark. The characteristics do not change just because the name does.

What out of date terminology?

But if in 1000 years you went up to a blark and said "This is a tree," you would be using out of date terminology. And you would be incorrect, except in a historical sense.

Listen to The Sex Pistols, The Dead Kennedy's, Suicidal Tendencies, and Black Flag. Then put on Green Day.

Then you'll hear they are not a punk band.

Green Days' roots are in punk, but also in rock, alternative, and pop.

The equivalent your a tree is a tree argument is "the sex pixtols will always sound like the sex pistols," "The Dead Kennedy's will always sound like the Dead Kennedy's." However, if people quit calling it punk, then it will no longer be punk except in a historical sense. And the fact that there is a widespread labeling of a band like green day as punk, means that they are. And to say that they aren't punk is incorrect.

So, to answer your question, "what out of date terminology?" I'm refering to your refusal to change to the evolving definition of the word punk.

But if in 1000 years you went up to a blark and said "This is a tree," you would be using out of date terminology. And you would be incorrect, except in a historical sense.

The equivalent your a tree is a tree argument is "the sex pixtols will always sound like the sex pistols," "The Dead Kennedy's will always sound like the Dead Kennedy's." However, if people quit calling it punk, then it will no longer be punk except in a historical sense. And the fact that there is a widespread labeling of a band like green day as punk, means that they are. And to say that they aren't punk is incorrect.

So, to answer your question, "what out of date terminology?" I'm refering to your refusal to change to the evolving definition of the word punk.

I would be correct because that tree has not changed. Only the label has.

Changing the name of something does nothing to its substance.

So your basic argument is that because a lot of people are calling Green Day a punk band that means they are?

If a lot of people started calling ABBA a "Death Metal Band" would they be right? Ummmmmm....no. ;) ("Opening for KING DIAMOND....ABBA!)

Now, if you would like to create a "sub-genre" in the genre of the musical style known as Punk and put Green Day in there, you could do that.

"Preppy Punk" is probably the best description.

Loud like punk, but basically "safe".

Ok...let me express my opinion of Green Day without labels:

The musical style of Green Day sounds a little bit like the music of previous bands like the Sex Pistols and The Dead Kennedy's. Green Day, however is too polished and borrows from too many other musical styles to be put in the same musical category as The Sex Pistols or The Dead Kennedy's.

:cheers:

Hip/Hop

Common - Like water for Chocolate

Ghostface Killah - Supreme Clientele

Ghostface Killah - Ironman

Masta Ace - Disposable Arts

Masta Ace - A long hot summer

Method Man & Redman - Blackout!

Mos Def - Black on Both Sides

Pharoahe Monch - Internal Affairs

Talib Kweli - Reflection Eternal

Wu-Tang - Forever

Also love this album

At the Drive In - Relationship of Command

I would be correct because that tree has not changed. Only the label has.

Changing the name of something does nothing to its substance.

So your basic argument is that because a lot of people are calling Green Day a punk band that means they are?

If a lot of people started calling ABBA a "Death Metal Band" would they be right? Ummmmmm....no. ;) ("Opening for KING DIAMOND....ABBA!)

Well, I'm not going to argue anymore about this. Our opinions are too similar to begin with, and even if we come to a conclusion the world is no better because of it.

I will clarify, that in order for a words meaning to evolve or change it's not just that "a lot" of people have to start using it that way. It has to become the dominant use of the word. So, if the dominant use of the term "death metal" ever expanded to include ABBA, then I would say ABBA would indeed be death metal.

Man, I thought Yoshimi was a stinker. I dig the Flaming Lips a lot but thought the tunes didn't measure up (killer production though). Give me The Soft Bulletin any day.

Finally, someone who agrees with me.

I bought Yoshimi, and listened about 5 times decided, "eh, it's ok, but not that good." I sold it to a used cd store. On at least 3 occasions since then people have told me I made a terrible mistake, and all but forced me to borrow their copy. I listened to their copy a couple times, and came to the same conclusion.

And I too love The soft Bulletin.

Archived