Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Albums of the Past 10 Years

Chopper Dave

I figure hey, I'm involved in majority of threads in this recent musical onslaught, so why can't I have a thread? What do you guys consider the best albums of the past 10 years?

My votes go to:

Radiohead - OK Computer

Outkast - Stankonia

The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots

Modest Mouse - Good News For People Who Love Bad News

Green Day - American Idiot

The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication

Streetlight Manifesto - Everything Goes Numb

It's a trick question. No album released in the last 10 years can be considered "best".

Seriously though-

Brian Wilson presents Smile

I dunno, I thought it was good, but it wasn't as good as the hype.

And Kilmer, while I totally agree with the sentiment that this past 10 years has sucked relatively, there are still masterpieces that will stand out amongst other masterpieces from other eras, namely OK Computer. The only reason I put any others in my post was because saying only OK Computer is just too easy.

How about Dave Mathews Band.or is that past 10 years.Smashing Pumpkins??

Dunno about DMB, he's had stuff in the past 10 years, not really a fan, but I'm pretty sure fans wouldn't say his best stuff has been in the past 10 years.

As fars SP goes, they're one of my faves, but unfortunately, their best stuff pre-dates the past 10 years, IMO, and in the opinions of most.

Good list overall, Chopper Dave--I definitely agree about OK Computer and Stankonia...but American Idiot and Californication?! Those albums have nothing on Dookie and BloodSugarSexMagic, it's not even close. :2cents:

First of all, I disagree that they were better. That's just opinion, though. Second, and more important, Dookie and BSSM weren't released in the last ten years.

Gotta include some of my own :D ...

The Moon & Antarctica - Modest Mouse

Kid A - Radiohead

Low Level Owl (Vols. 1 & 2) - Appleseed Cast

Feast of Wire - Calexico

Young Team - Mogwai

Ágætis Byrjun - Sigur Rós

...and, last but not least, my "Yea, I Know They Suck Hardcore Now But I Still Love This Album To This Day, And Yes, It's Actually Been A Few Days Short Of Ten Years Since Its Original Release" pick: Pinkerton - Weezer :cool:

I figure hey, I'm involved in majority of threads in this recent musical onslaught, so why can't I have a thread? What do you guys consider the best albums of the past 10 years?

My votes go to:

Radiohead - OK Computer

Outkast - Stankonia

The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots

Modest Mouse - Good News For People Who Love Bad News

Green Day - American Idiot

The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication

Streetlight Manifesto - Everything Goes Numb

I know we diagree about music alot. However, 5 of these 8 aren't even my favorite album by that band in the past 10 years. I just thought that was interesting enough to mention.

Radiohead - Kid A

Outkast - ATLiens & Aquemeni

The Flaming Lips - The Soft Buletin

Modest Mouse - The Moon and Antarctica and Lonesome Crowded West

I also like De-Loused at the Comatorium better than Frances the Mute, but I really don't like either.

p.s. - I don't blame anyone for liking OK Computer more than Kid A. It took me about 5 years to come to a decision on which was better. In the end it mostly came down to two things: Track order(Kid A was ordered perfectly. If OK Computer had been put together in such a way that had "No Surprises" last, this would have taken even longer to decide) and "Fitter Happier." Fitter Happier is good, and it doesn't take much away, but it's the only questionable track between the two. Advantage goes to the album without it.

Gotta include some of my own :D ...

The Moon & Antarctica - Modest Mouse

Kid A - Radiohead

Low Level Owl (Vols. 1 & 2) - Appleseed Cast

Feast of Wire - Calexico

Young Team - Mogwai

Ágætis Byrjun - Sigur Rós

...and, last but not least, my "Yea, I Know They Suck Hardcore Now But I Still Love This Album To This Day, And Yes, It's Actually Been A Few Days Short Of Ten Years Since Its Original Release" pick: Pinkerton - Weezer :cool:

Nice. Pinkerton, Moon and Antarctica, Young Team, and Ágætis Byrjun are all amazing albums. So is Kid A, which leads me to my question; how do you pick Kid A over OK Computer?

Edit: Nostril answered that for you.

I know we diagree about music alot. However, 5 of these 8 aren't even my favorite album by that band in the past 10 years. I just thought that was interesting enough to mention.

Radiohead - Kid A

Outkast - ATLiens & Aquemeni

The Flaming Lips - The Soft Buletin

Modest Mouse - The Moon and Antarctica and Lonesome Crowded West

I also like De-Loused at the Comatorium better than Frances the Mute, but I really don't like either.

p.s. - I don't blame anyone for liking OK Computer more than Kid A. It took me about 5 years to come to a decision on which was better. In the end it mostly came down to two things: Track order(Kid A was ordered perfectly. If OK Computer had been put together in such a way that had "No Surprises" last, this would have taken even longer to decide) and "Fitter Happier." Fitter Happier is good, and it doesn't take much away, but it's the only questionable track between the two. Advantage goes to the album without it.

I dunno, I think OK Computer is a masterpiece. Kid A just strikes me as a really good album. As far as Outkast goes, I like their more experimental sound than their early Southern sound.

I love Soft Bulletin, hell I love all Flaming Lips, but Yoshimi just has something about it that SB doesn't.

And I knew someone would comment on how I put GNFPWLB ahead of M&A. I don't really know why, but I just like Good News better.

Archived