Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Albums of the Past 10 Years

Chopper Dave

Hmmm I think I should add The Richest Man in Babylon (Theivery Corporation, and they originated in DC no less) And yes they do use synthesizers, but it is still awesome music.

You know, looking back on this thread, there is a lot of good music out there. It is too bad that the good often gets drowned by the pop crap.

CD, I am assuming you are a big Radiohead fan. I have been looking for one of their concerts but they don't seem to tour very often and especially not in the US. Do you know if they will come here sometime? I don't care if it is in Cali or NY I will hitch hike 2000 miles to see Radiohead live.

Bonnaroo 2006, baby. Or so the rumors say. The lineup announcement is tommorow, and there's tons of smoke around Radiohead, Beck, and Tom Petty headlining rumors. It's pretty much all but confirmed.

Plus, they'll have a new album out this year, so don't make plans to travel to Tennessee just yet; they'll probably end up somewhere in the DC metro area.

Kilmer, you're just showing your musical naiveness. None of Green Day's songs are anti-government, especially in comparison to most bands that you'd consider "punk". Just because it's cool to bash Green Day, and just because you think it makes you look like you know what you're talking about, doesn't mean that you actually do.

When did it become cool to bash Green Day? Ive been doing it for years and would like credit for starting the movement.

As for them not being anti-govt, you might want to re-listen to their songs. They are clearly anti-govt. That doesnt mean that they are MORE anti than say, TSOL, but that's irrelevant. My point is that Green Day shouldnt be included in a list with ACTUAL punk bands.

If a 13 year old girl has a tee-shirt, they arent a punk band.

Bonnaroo 2006, baby. Or so the rumors say. The lineup announcement is tommorow, and there's tons of smoke around Radiohead, Beck, and Tom Petty headlining rumors. It's pretty much all but confirmed.

Plus, they'll have a new album out this year, so don't make plans to travel to Tennessee just yet; they'll probably end up somewhere in the DC metro area.

Radiohead? Beck? I wish Bonnaroo would have stayed a jamband festival. Now i feel like jambands need to come up with a new HUGE festival.

Best news I have heard in a loooooong time. Tight.

When did it become cool to bash Green Day? Ive been doing it for years and would like credit for starting the movement.

As for them not being anti-govt, you might want to re-listen to their songs. They are clearly anti-govt. That doesnt mean that they are MORE anti than say, TSOL, but that's irrelevant. My point is that Green Day shouldnt be included in a list with ACTUAL punk bands.

If a 13 year old girl has a tee-shirt, they arent a punk band.

Kilmer, again, you have no idea what you are talking about. Out of their however many odd songs, all of which I own and have listened to many, many times, there are about 3 or 4 which have 1 or 2 lines that MAY be anti-government.

More importantly, tell me why they aren't a punk band? I mean, I'd argue that they're borderline punk at this point, but go ahead, since you're so vehemently of the belief that they're the antithesis of punk music, tell me why, and don't bull**** me with "13 year old girls wear their shirts." Because that only tells me that 13 year old girls wear their shirts; it has nothing to do with whether or not they play punk music.

What makes them not a punk band? Major label deal? Does that mean the Sex Pistols weren't a punk band? NMTB was on Warner Bros. How about the Clash? Epic records small enough for you?

I mean what about them isn't punk?

And again, don't bother answering if the best you can do is "13 year old girls wear their shirts."

Kilmer, again, you have no idea what you are talking about. Out of their however many odd songs, all of which I own and have listened to many, many times, there are about 3 or 4 which have 1 or 2 lines that MAY be anti-government.

More importantly, tell me why they aren't a punk band? I mean, I'd argue that they're borderline punk at this point, but go ahead, since you're so vehemently of the belief that they're the antithesis of punk music, tell me why, and don't bull**** me with "13 year old girls wear their shirts." Because that only tells me that 13 year old girls wear their shirts; it has nothing to do with whether or not they play punk music.

What makes them not a punk band? Major label deal? Does that mean the Sex Pistols weren't a punk band? NMTB was on Warner Bros. How about the Clash? Epic records small enough for you?

I mean what about them isn't punk?

And again, don't bother answering if the best you can do is "13 year old girls wear their shirts."

I've offered my evidence (13 year old tee shirt), so before I give you more, please give me a reason they SHOULD be considered a punk band.

BTW, here are the lyrics to Holiday- If you cant see the anti-govt message, then you need help.

Hear the sound of the falling rain

Coming down like an Armageddon flame (Hey!)

The shame

The ones who died without a name

Hear the dogs howling out of key

To a hymn called "Faith and Misery" (Hey!)

And bleed, the company lost the war today

I beg to dream and differ from the hollow lies

This is the dawning of the rest of our lives

On holiday

Hear the drum pounding out of time

Another protestor has crossed the line (Hey!)

To find, the money's on the other side

Can I get another Amen? (Amen!)

There's a flag wrapped around a score of men (Hey!)

A gag, a plastic bag on a monument

On holiday

(Hey!)

(Say, Hey!)

"The representative from California has the floor"

Zieg Heil to the president gasman

Bombs away is your punishment

Pulverize the Eiffel towers

Who criticize your government

Bang bang goes the broken glass and

Kill all the fags that don't agree

Trials by fire, setting fire

Is not a way that's meant for me

Just cause, just cause, because we're outlaws yeah!

This is our lives on holiday

Kilmer, your evidence for them not being a punk band is stupid, shallow, and laughable. Moreover, your evidence for them being anti-government falls into the same categories. There's 3, maybe 4 lines in that song, which is probably their most anti-government song, that are in fact anti-government.

Of course, I would expect you to confuse anti-war and anti-discrimination lyrics with anti-government.

And Kilmer, why are they punk? Because they play PUNK music. Three chord, hard, fast, and loud music. They are born of the Gilman Street underground scene. They played on Lookout Records. They have the punk attitude. They **** off balconies. They trash hotel rooms.

Evidence for their being a punk band is abundant. If you don't want to see it, fine, but if you're going to argue that issue with me, at least have something besides "13 year old girls wear their shirts" to back it up.

Why don't you guys define punk music first and then define Green Day the band. It shouldn't be that hard.

CD is right semantically at the very least. They have a political bent against this administration and the new conservative movement (I think) but they aren't anti-government, they are anti-this particular government.

Also Dave, please tell me you arent trying to place Green Day in the same league as the sex Pistols and the Clash?

Why not? They're a punk band, and they were on the forefront of the revival of punk (not that modern punk is good, I'm just saying, the similarities are there). Personally, I like their music alot more than the Pistols, and almost as much as the Clash.

Why don't you guys define punk music first and then define Green Day the band. It shouldn't be that hard.

CD is right semantically at the very least. They have a political bent against this administration and the new conservative movement (I think) but they aren't anti-government, they are anti-this particular government.

Punk music is nearly impossible to define. It's like obscenity; you'll know it when you see it. I mean, at a very basic level, it's essentially what I described.

Dave, thank you for giving all of us an example of what is wrong with music. The fact that you think Green Day is a punk band, and is so because of some ridiculous antics is perfect.

oohh they trash hotel rooms. That'll show the establishment!

I am not denying their roots. I am simply offering that their music today is played on every pop station in town, their videos dominate MTV, they play at awards shows. They are EVERYTHING that true punkrock stands against. They arent anti-establishment. THEY ARE THE ESTABLISHMENT.

Fair enough, the point is that being anti THIS govt alone doesnt make one a punk band.

Dave, thank you for giving all of us an example of what is wrong with music. The fact that you think Green Day is a punk band, and is so because of some ridiculous antics is perfect.

oohh they trash hotel rooms. That'll show the establishment!

I am not denying their roots. I am simply offering that their music today is played on every pop station in town, their videos dominate MTV, they play at awards shows. They are EVERYTHING that true punkrock stands against. They arent anti-establishment. THEY ARE THE ESTABLISHMENT.

Kilmer, when a band becomes successful, that doesn't mean that they lose everything they were before they became successful. If they changed the music to make themselves more popular, then it's one thing. They obviously didn't, because there was a period there that they weren't that popular. They've only regained popularity recently.

The point is, they didn't choose to be as big as they are. They didn't change ANYTHING about themselves or their act to become popular, hence why I gave the trashing hotel rooms example. They started out as a punk band, and they still are, because nothing about them has changed other than public reaction.

You're just an elitist, one of the fools who cries "sellout" every time something gets big. And honestly, you have no place debating anything regarding music if you have that kind of attitude.

Of course they changed Dave. You know that as well as I do. It's inevitable. They stopped being a Punk band when they starting pimping themselves to the MTV crowd. Maybe they had to because their early stuff (Kerplunk specifically) was pretty bad. They built a rep on a great stage show and got signed by a small label, and then subsequently screwed that label to sign with a big label. Then they put out Dookie. The album that launched a thousand fraud punk bands.

Fast chords, british accents, angry lyrics. ripped clothes, spiked hair, makeup,and made for the masses videos. That's not punk Dave. It might be what passes for punk in the teenybopper circles. But Henry Rollins would rip Billie Joe's head off and **** down his throat if given the opportunity.

Of course they changed Dave. You know that as well as I do. It's inevitable. They stopped being a Punk band when they starting pimping themselves to the MTV crowd. Maybe they had to because their early stuff (Kerplunk specifically) was pretty bad. They built a rep on a great stage show and got signed by a small label, and then subsequently screwed that label to sign with a big label. Then they put out Dookie. The album that launched a thousand fraud punk bands.

Fast chords, british accents, angry lyrics. ripped clothes, spiked hair, makeup,and made for the masses videos. That's not punk Dave. It might be what passes for punk in the teenybopper circles. But Henry Rollins would rip Billie Joe's head off and **** down his throat if given the opportunity.

Actually, I'm pretty sure Rollins and Billie Joe are friends. Nice try, though.

I pass along what a wise man once said to me; you're entitled to your own dumbass opinion. It's wrong, but you're entitled to it nonetheless.

Green Day's style hasn't changed, despite what you say. It's clear you haven't really listened to any of their music other than what you may have encountered on the radio. They play the same type of music that they always have, and you can't fault them or call them "no longer punk" just because it started to catch on with a crowd you dub "not punk."

We're going to have to agree to disagree, because it's obvious you hold too much animosity toward successful punk bands in general to have a reasonable discussion about this.

Listen to The Sex Pistols, The Dead Kennedy's, Suicidal Tendencies, and Black Flag. Then put on Green Day.

Then you'll hear they are not a punk band.

Green Days' roots are in punk, but also in rock, alternative, and pop.

When I heard Green Day and the first thing I thought of was another band called The Hoodoo Guru's. It sounds like riffs on Dookie were taken straight from Mars Needs Guitars. And the Guru's are not a punk band.

Just my :2cents:

:logo:

Listen to The Sex Pistols, The Dead Kennedy's, Suicidal Tendencies, and Black Flag. Then put on Green Day.

When I heard Green Day and the first thing I thought of was another band called The Hoodoo Guru's. It sounds like riffs on Dookie were taken straight from Mars Needs Guitars. And the Guru's are not a punk band.

The definition of genre's change

If you showed someone in 1985 a dashboard confessional CD and told them it was emo they would probably beat you up.

I do agree that when punk music lost it's edge and went pop it kind of lost everything that was good about the genre. Punk dumbed down their music from an technical standpoint and this reinforced the fact that it's not the same music as what you're hearing on the radio.

So, when you lose that edge, and start playing it on the radio and playing pop songs what are you left with. Just a bunch of dumbed down pop music.

However, people are calling Green Day and other such bands punk, and isn't that pretty much how genre's are labeled.

The definition of genre's change

If you showed someone in 1985 a dashboard confessional CD and told them it was emo they would probably beat you up.

I do agree that when punk music lost it's edge and went pop it kind of lost everything that was good about the genre. Punk dumbed down their music from an technical standpoint and this reinforced the fact that it's not the same music as what you're hearing on the radio.

So, when you lose that edge, and start playing it on the radio and playing pop songs what are you left with. Just a bunch of dumbed down pop music.

However, people are calling Green Day and other such bands punk, and isn't that pretty much how genre's are labeled.

So, Black Flag is ubber punk? ;)

Those bands defined what punk music is. Each is diffrent yet related in terms of musical style.

Green Day uses some punk riffs, but using punk riffs does not a punk band make. Green Day is more rock and roll with a punk edge and some pop and alternative thrown in for good measure than just a punk band. Plus, Green Day is too polished to be punk. (Wrecked hotel rooms, aside. :) )

Genres are the constant. They are defined and then added to in the form of sub-genres. You can't change the definition of genre's, if you do,then you run into the question at the start of this post.

edited for spelling....... :doh:

Well put. While I'm not necessarily anti-Green Day, they are not really a punk band to me. Now when I think punk rock, I think of groups like the Clash, X, Bad Religion, Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, the Avengers and TSOL.

So, Black Flag is ubber punk? ;)

Those bands defined what punk music is. Each is diffrent yet related in terms of musical style.

Green Day uses some punk riffs, but using punk riffs does not a punk band make. Green Day is more rock and roll with a punk edge and some pop and alternative thrown in for good measure than just a punk band. Plus, Green Day is too polished to be punk. (Wrecked hotel rooms, aside. :) )

Genres are the constant. They are defined and then added to in the form of sub-genres. You can't change the definition of genre's, if you do,then you run into the question at the start of this post.

Genre's are just the words that people give to label something. If there's a widespread labeling of something using a certain word, then I don't see how you can argue it isn't, since there's nothing objective about it.

I think the best punk band ever is fugazi.

Archived