Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ut oh...maybe we wont sign a FA WR??

Sherlock Holmes

As I said before, while I think we will sign a FA at WR, I don't expect it to be a high profile name. Someone like Marc Boerigter, for example.

I also think there is going to be some belief that Patten can still fill that role. Obviously, that will be up to Saunders to decide, for the most part. I think what is more important is to keep Brunell from locking on only a few select receivers, and actually throw to all of them. That, in itself, will improve things offensively.

Jason

if TJ isnt gone I would think that is a major mistake. he has shown nothing but horrible hands and practice skillz. not enough for a top 4WR

What good would letting him go do for us? Sure, he hasn't shown that much on the football field, but what is the harm to bring him into traning camp? If he doesn't step up, he gets cut.

If you are thinking about cap savings, we don't save much by cutting him.

Jason

Ron Johnson, WR

Johnson, a 6-2, 225-pound receiver out of Stanford, has been in the league since 2002. With the Baltimore Ravens from 2002-04, he caught 11 passes for 126 yards and one touchdown. He spent time with the Chicago Bears last season.

I believe this is who we are talking about:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2002/profiles/johnson_ron.htm

Glad we're giving him a shot! If nothing else, sounded solid out of college (Minnesota), a potential #2 (at the time) and went to two very poor passing teams in Baltimore and Chicago.

He is probably not brought in as the answer but I'm sure we all hope he'll be a diamond in the rough.

If we draft a WR, it will be in the later rounds with a risk of not making the team. WR's are risky draft choices because they usually take 1 - 2 years to develop. On top of that, the Redskins are really bad at drafting WR's. The last great one we drafted was Clark in the supplemental draft and Monk prior to that. That is 20 years ago. I figure we will go after a proven veteran and if we do draft a WR, they will not be penciled in as a starter for the 2006 season.

While I wish you were wrong, you are not. WRs are a risky prospect, especially for the Skins (as history has shown).

However, when it comes to drafting receivers, the Skins, and especiall Joe Gibbs, excel at one thing...TE's. I think that if we don't draft for defense in round 2 we will go TE. TEs (of higher caliber) historically develop much faster and can usually produce in their first year.

With Moss #1 and Cooley at H-Back, if we get a stud TE like Tony Gonzalez/Antonio Gates**, our need at #2 WR diminishes. It will still be a need but it will allow the coaches to land a solid player rather than have to seek a star player.

**Not saying there easy to identify and get, I just mean a great pass-catching TE that Al and Joe can use like them.

Jacobs is going to be given his last shot. He's just had terrible luck getting injured at the worst possible times. Year 1: Bruised Pancreas... out for nearly a year. Year 2: Ankle injury that kept him out of TC and preseason and prevented him from getting "in sync" with the quarterback. Year 3: Toe injury that hobbled him in TC and PS and prevented him from developing a repoire with Brunell.... and also affected his ability to get out of his breaks sharply and hence gain seperation from defenders. Remember, he wore an orthodics devise to basically keep his toe in joint most of the year.

This will be it. If he participates in the offseason, TC, and preseason and doesn't miss any time... he could be given a shot at the slot receiver. If he misses more than a day of any of the offseason, TC, or Preseason I think you've got to cut your losses and consider him a bust.

I'd be surprised if Jacobs is back and with Antonio Brown getting extra work in NFLeurope you'd think we will be looking at two spots available for new WRs to go with Moss, Thrash, and patten

I think we're looking for 2 new starters also, ND. With one hopefully pushing Patten, who I am still supporting. I am also prepared to find that the team's thinking might turn out to be comfort with Patten still at #2, given other changes/tweaks upcoming that relate to the passing game. I think this team, under Gibbs, shows a bit of a stubborn atittude towards trying to make players "work out" as they were expected. There are more than a few examples.

Patten was picked to be a #2 and it may be that they aren't ready to abandon that vision. They could well attribute that his low production are heavily linked to problems not concerning him and yet to be fully addressed in the continuing evolution of the passing game, just as last year evolved enough for Moss and Cooley to set receiving records. If the latter turns out to be true about the teams design, there will be a great deal of angst about it here :) .

I think we're looking for 2 new starters also, ND. With one hopefully pushing Patten, who I am still supporting. I am also prepared to find that the team's thinking might turn out to be comfort with Patten still at #2, given other changes/tweaks upcoming that relate to the passing game. I think this team, under Gibbs, shows a bit of a stubborn atittude towards trying to make players "work out" as they were expected. There are more than a few examples.

Patten was picked to be a #2 and it may be that they aren't ready to abandon that vision. They could well attribute that his low production are heavily linked to problems not concerning him and yet to be fully addressed in the continuing evolution of the passing game, just as last year evolved enough for Moss and Cooley to set receiving records. If the latter turns out to be true about the teams design, there will be a great deal of angst about it here :) .

Its such a shame he sat out last year. Is he going to be fit for training camp?

Its such a shame he sat out last year. Is he going to be fit for training camp?

Yup, how will his physical recovery unfold? That alone will be a key determining factor as to what the team does and we have no idea how that aspect is going to go and won't for months...I hate that :laugh: .

I think TJ will be gone next year.

I disagree. Having the year under his belt, and the speed he possesses, he will step it up this year. There is no way I will believe that with the speed this guy has, he never had the ball thrown to him simply because he wasn't able to get open at all.

As for the previous statement in the other guys post, talking about WR's having bad rookie years...let's not forget, Gibbs isn't building this team for today, he's building it for tomorrow.

Jacobs is a big let down, and will most likely never amount to anything in the NFL. I think the only thing that would keep this coaching staff from going out and getting another WR is if they think Patten will make an impact next year... even if they think that, IMO the Redskins would still need another viable option at WR to go with Moss and Patten.

Thrash is really only good for special teams.

Jacobs is garbage.

And it still remains to be seen whether Patten will be a reliable option.

As for the cornerback position, I would love to see us trade Ramsey and a couple of non-first round picks to the Raiders for Charles Woodson, contingent upon him agreeing to a new contract.

I'm not sure how feasible this is because I really have no idea how much Woodson is worth. Is he still worth top CB money or what?

I doubt it could happen, but I'd love it.

I dont think this trade would be good for either team. The raiders dont want a patrick ramsey and dont want to lose charles woodson for so cheap. Also, the skins need their picks because i dont remember the last time they had a pick in all seven rounds. THe skins need to hold on to their picks.

We don't necessarily need a higher profile guy who will take Patten's spot, but we need depth badly. Right now after Moss and Patten we have only Thrash who can contribute. Patten has concerns with his knee and Taylor is a complete non-factor on the field.

We might draft a rookie to take the #4 or #5 receiving spot but we still need someone who can contribute now and be a reliable #3.

We can't rely on Thrash too much because he's so important to our special teams unit.

We're gonna have to work some magic to create cap room to be able to sign our draft picks, re-sign Ryan Clark and possibly Rock and bring in a veteran receiver via FA.

I'm going with Mooka on this one. We don't need a high profile receiver. We have one. I belive he was the second leading receiver in the NFL, and I think his name was Moss. What we need is someone who is a possession type receiver who is willing to do anything to get the ball, even go across the middle right in front of the linebackers. Someone like Hines Ward. Patten was supposed to be our solid veteran who played next to our speed demon Moss. Was a good combo on paper, but Patten never got going then got injured. I'm hoping he can prove himself next season. We do however need depth, b/c just imagine Moss going down........ Hopefully, Saunders can work a few things and make the offense work a bit more around other players and their strengths so we don't HAVE to rely on Moss so much. If Moss has 120 catches for 1800 yards I'll be ecstatic, but that makes our team too one dimensional in the passing game and opponents can just focus on him all day long. Well, here's to next season. :cheers:

I think we'll sign a solid vet at wr again this off-season. Patten would be a fantastic third option. If you want to put Jacobs as the 4th wr thats fine with me, but hey if you wanted throw jacobs off a cliff, i really wouldnt mind.

LOL :laugh:

I agree. He may make a good 4th, but what do you do with Thrash?

As for the cornerback position, I would love to see us trade Ramsey and a couple of non-first round picks to the Raiders for Charles Woodson, contingent upon him agreeing to a new contract.

I'm not sure how feasible this is because I really have no idea how much Woodson is worth. Is he still worth top CB money or what?

I doubt it could happen, but I'd love it.

honestly, what triggers this kind of thought?

people are talking about our WR situation, and you throw in your :2cents: that we should trade for... Charles Woodson :insane:

Archived