Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Frickin frickin FRACK!

Henry

I swear, sometimes I wish I was Christian like the rest of you out there.

In case you don't know, the Jewish holiday of Rosh Hashanah is this Saturday. I'm not that religious, so whatever. But my cousin is an Orthodox Jew and (as Orthodox Jews cannnot cook or drive or carry money or even turn on the lights on Saturdays) she's having a lunch for the family on Sunday at ONE O'CLOCK!!! What am I supposed to do here? Tell her 'screw your religion I've got football to watch?' Oy vey!

:doh: :cuss:

Spurrier's head coaching debut, the dawn of a new era, and I'm going to miss it! Confound Judaism and family and all that touchy feely garbage! Now I have to tape the game and then avoid the news and this board until I get to watch it! GAH!

Ok, done venting. I feel better now. As you were. Where's my knish?

Actually, Henry, yeah, I'd wish her the best and say that it's a great thing for her to enjoy and you wish you could experience it with her, but you have something that, to you, is very important and while trivial to others perhaps, you are as drawn to it as many may be to their faith.

No way would I even hint at missing the game for this. There are only 20 football Sundays a year. They are too precious to surrender :).

I have actually missed friend's weddings on Sunday during football season. I've lost two friends over it because, "Hey, you big pansy, get control of the woman. There are 30 some Sundays a year for your dumb arse to marry the b!tch and you need to pick one of those, not one of mine."

Some guys took it better than others :).

Redskins football is my religion. Henry, do what you got to do, man. I can't tell you what to do, but I would be sitting in my seat at Fed-Ex on Sunday.

Like what Art said about weddings during football season. My wife wanted to get married in October(of 1982) and I said "Are you crazy, it is football season then". So we got married in June(of '82). She wanted to be different,(then having a June wedding) that is why she wanted October. She being a woman and not thinking about it being football season.

O', I am probable going to hear some static from blonde about that one.:laugh:

Two things before I'm kicked out of the clubhouse: :)

First of all, this is a cousin. Non-family members wouldn't get consideration, I assure you.

Secondly, and more importantly, my family is a very VERY big Redskins clan. This woman's father is a huge fan, and I am almost certain the game will be on somewhere in the house, and all the men will have ducked out to watch the game before the Kugel is even cold. So while it's not the same as sitting at home in with pizza and beer, I will probably see the game in some capacity.

Nevertheless, I do find this whole business rather irritating. My own family should know better. :rolleyes:

You gotta watch the game, no doubt about it.

I used to tell my employers when I worked in restaurants that I could not work Sundays (during football season) under any circumstances. Don't call me, don't schedule me, don't even think about me. I am worshipping my religion on that day - all day. And forget about Monday nights, too, and sometimes Thursdays, and a few Saturdays during the end of the year, too.

When I was a few years younger, the Skins/Cowboys used to be on Thanksgiving a lot more frequently, and our family always went to the part of the family's house that didn't like sports period. I always had to duck out of the chit-chat sessions and go to the back room to watch the game.....then if the Skins would lose I would be like a log the whole rest of the night....hahaha, those were the days.......As for my girlfriend, or any girl. I usually explain Redskins football and Me to them as soon as we start dating. I tell them, look it is only 3 hours of ONE day a week for a few months. SCHEDULE AROUND IT......occasionally there is a conflict of scheduling, and I just simply show up late or skip something, but I DON'T MISS GAMES~!

*cough cough* really? My throat's closing up *gasp* Now that you mention it I am feeling a bit under the weather. *hack* :)

Actually, I have since called my cousin and she assures me the game will be on. Crisis averted. But sheesh, I wish people would be a bit more sensitive. I almost had an anuerism today. :)

This has been an ongoing struggle for me. It makes me feel a lot better that you all come from the same mindset as me. I absolutely refuse to miss a game. I have only missed two in recent years and regret doing so. And I wouldn't miss this one for the world. I am dodging two October weddings (both were luckily scheduled for Saturday) and am lucky that the Sunday morning brunch for one is the same day as the 4:00 Green Bay game, so I can be home in time.

I read somewhere that Richard Nixon became such a huge Skins fan that he didn't like to have anything scheduled for Sunday afternoons...

Everyone who is acquainted with me on more than just a casual level knows I am a Redskin fan thru-and-thru.

So I am particularly annoyed when inevitably during the season I am placed in the situation of having to turn down an invite to some event or another with an explaination that the Redskins are playing during that particular time.

Or take a conversation I had yesterday with a friend of some 10 years when I invited him to go along with a group of us to see the Devil Rays and the Rangers play on Saturday. His response, "Did you say Saturday or Sunday?" Judas, what a stupid question.

Oh He!!, try my yearly delema. My daughter was born on the 16th of Jan. I think we all know what time of year that is. Playoffs! It's a no win situation when it comes to a birthday party. When she was little, we could at least have parties at home, and I could be the good host running into the other room to get drinks or food where the game would be on. Now at 9, it's always a skating party, or something of that sort.

It's not bad enough to miss the game, but freezing my stones off in a 50 degree ice rink is not fun anytime.

Archived