Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reason for decline after '91 SB

GhostofAlvinWalton

I know Joe Gibbs leaving was the main reason but here are a few more. All of these players were key contributors and were gone within 3 years. And that doesn't include M. Schlereth-'94, M. Coleman-'94, or L. Lachey-'95. 1993 was particularly crippling. Not all of these guys were "all pro" but they all had their great moments as Skins. It reminds me of the 80’s Celtics. Bird, McHale, Parish, all gone at the same time.

A. Walton-'91

G. Riggs-'91

R. Grimm-'91

W. Marshall-'92

G. Clark-'92

D. Warren-'92

M. Mayhew-'92

T. Bowles-'93

C. Mann-'93

R. Sanders-'93

E. Byner-'93

A. Monk-'93

M. Rypien-'93

B. Edwards-'93

J. Geathers-'93

J. Jacoby-'93

J. Bostic-'93

I know Joe Gibbs leaving was the main reason but here are a few more. All of these players were key contributors and were gone within 3 years. And that doesn't include M. Schlereth-'94, M. Coleman-'94, or L. Lachey-'95. 1993 was particularly crippling. Not all of these guys were "all pro" but they all had their great moments as Skins. It reminds me of the 80’s Celtics. Bird, McHale, Parish, all gone at the same time.

A. Walton-'91

G. Riggs-'91

R. Grimm-'91

W. Marshall-'92

G. Clark-'92

D. Warren-'92

M. Mayhew-'92

T. Bowles-'93

C. Mann-'93

R. Sanders-'93

E. Byner-'93

A. Monk-'93

M. Rypien-'93

B. Edwards-'93

J. Geathers-'93

J. Jacoby-'93

J. Bostic-'93

Then, we stuck Pettibone with the left-overs and blamed him for the losing season; and point blank, we held onto Turner too long. Turner should've been here 3-5 years tops. By keeping him so long, we began to become impatient and expected to unrealistically win right away with new coaches, which led to instability. Fortunately, now we have a coach that the owner respects and who knows that stability in the coaching staff is the first step to winning.

Then, we stuck Pettibone with the left-overs and blamed him for the losing season; and point blank, we held onto Turner too long. Turner should've been here 3-5 years tops. By keeping him so long, we began to become impatient and expected to unrealistically win right away with new coaches, which led to instability. Fortunately, now we have a coach that the owner respects and who knows that stability in the coaching staff is the first step to winning.

What do you mean we stuck with Turner too long? He was awsome! :laugh:

The 1991 Redskins were the apex of the Joe Gibbs system. It was a team that was 10 years in the making. Why did it suddenly go downhill so fast?

1. The team was old. Most of the players were seasoned veterans at the latter stages of the prime of their careers. They were an experienced and cohesive unit, but most of them didn't have much left in the tank anyway after '91.

2. Free agency struck. There's no way you can keep a dominant group of veterans together any more. Under the old system, Gibbs and company would hoard players for 2-4 seasons before letting them start, hiding guys on IR, and generally giving them time to mature and learn the system before cutting them loose. That can't happen these days. The NFL has become more like the college game - you need a great coach, and you need to build for a 2-3 year window of opportunity - then reload and try again.

3. The coaching staff left. Obviously, when Gibbs left, so did his entire staff, and his entire system (well, within a year or so, anyway). Turner came in, and tried to re-build. He didn't get it done. Draft picks like Shuler and Westbrook didn't work out the way Aikman and Irvin had, and, honestly, they didn't have the offensive line or defensive firepower to support them anyway.

4. Jack Kent Cooke died, and left things a mess. Instead of merely leaving the team to his son, his will left it to the highest bidder, with the proceeds going to his charitable foundation. This left the team in limbo for years while the sale was completed. His son John wasn't much of an owner, and had no shot to buy the team, as the value of the franchise skyrocketed with the completion of The Big Jack and the tremendous influx of TV revenue, sparked by the Fox network overbidding to wrench control of the NFC broadcasts from CBS. JCK never forsaw this, and his son was shut out.

5. Dan Snyder had to learn the ropes. Let's face it - when Snyder came in, he screwed a lot of things up. He fired some people he shouldn't have, and he hired some people he shouldn't have. He got bad advice. He had to learn on the job, just like anyone else. After burning through free agents like Jeff George and Deion Sanders, and coaches like Steve Spurrier, Snyder finally settled down and got things right.

Now the franchise has some stability again, and that's the key to success. The management structure is now in place to create a cohesive, organized system of professional football, and we're finally starting to see results.

The thing is, a lot of those guys were old and only had a few years left. We tagged Wilbur as our franchise player. To this day I don't know how he did it, but somehow he took the Redskins to court and got the franchise tag removed, and signed with the Oilers. I remember feeling like that everything was falling apart at that point for the Skins, and the Cowboys were winning, so I lost interest in football for a couple years. God I couldn't stand the Cowboys winning.

The thing is, a lot of those guys were old and only had a few years left.

That was my point, it all came crashing down. Like the Celtics.

I remember feeling like that everything was falling apart at that point for the Skins, and the Cowboys were winning, so I lost interest in football for a couple years. God I couldn't stand the Cowboys winning.

I went through the exact same thing. I've never rooted for any team, but the Skins, like I did for the Bills (and Steelers once).

Then we committed Spurrier-cide. Good grief Charlie Brown, we "Fun and gunned "our selves right in the head. Anyone remember the video of Steve Spurrier with his lips flapping, oh man, how embarassing was that!!!! That was an all time low!

The slow motion was particularly humiliating. They just keep going and going and going!!!

http://muck.finheaven.com/stuff/videos/spurrier_lips.wmv

Anyone remember the video of Steve Spurrier with his lips flapping, oh man, how embarassing was that!!!! That was an all time low!

The slow motion was particularly humiliating. They just keep going and going and going!!!

http://muck.finheaven.com/stuff/videos/spurrier_lips.wmv

:rotflmao:oh my god.....that is so funny...."of all my years of coaching.....i've never done that....." (Madden) "he looks like a cartoon" classic...:laugh::laugh::laugh:

At the risk of waxing poetic, isn't it nice we can laugh about Spurrier and Norvell and the rest now? Now we know we have someone in charge that is nothing like those bufoons. Man, is that a comforting feeling or what? Not only that, but Gibbs seems to be setting us up for future sucess after he steps down this time... :notworthy

I was so Upset with how we did Petitbone. I thought he deserved a much better opportunity to coach the team, even if his first season was horrible. (This morning I heard Carl Banks laughing about his season here. He called it "The season every Redskins Fan Forgets". It was Richie's solo year as a coach.)

Petitbone brought in that awful offensive coordinator. I forget his name. He failed everywhere he went in the pro and college. He coached at Vanderbilt too. He was terrible.

Also the the Skins got virtually no compensation for the loss of Wilbur Marshall. 4th and 5th round picks in seperate seasons.

The funny thing was the 35-16 or something like that win over the Cowboys on MNF to open the season.

What I do remember was Rypien getting hurt in game 2 against the Cardinals and the team never looked right after that again.

I know Joe Gibbs leaving was the main reason but here are a few more. All of these players were key contributors and were gone within 3 years. And that doesn't include M. Schlereth-'94, M. Coleman-'94, or L. Lachey-'95.

for starters none of these 3 guys ever contributed to us losing, they were all pro bowlers and future hof members. secondly, who the hell is L.Lachey? the only lachey i remember is jim :laugh:

IMHO I think that it might have been a mutual agreement between Petitbone and the ownership. You get a better settlement if you are fired as opposed to if you resign. He was kind of thrown to the wolves when Joe Gibbs retired and I am glad Greg Williams is being groomed to be the next head coach.

Archived