Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Advice on Buying a Camera

footballhenry

I've been searching through sonystyle.com (I have a Sony Vaio Computer) and I am looking to maybe purchase a camera. I want something to not only take pictures with (high quality) but to make short-mid long films with. Something that has alot of diversity, and that is very high in quality but easy to use and manage. Oh, and a decent price (Id suppose 500-800 range right now, bc Id probly finance it anyway). Any and all advice on what to look for, and what is the best deal/camera to get would be great!!!:) Thanks in advance :)

If you want high-quality pictures, your best bet is to get an SLR camera...but to my knowledge they don't make SLR's with video recording features...

I don't think you need an SLR for the best images. After acertain amount of mega pixels you can't tell the difference unless you were to blow the image up to the size of a sky scraper.

SLRs are good because of their speed. No shutter lag. But yeah, I don't think you can take movies with them and they tend to be more expensive.

Go to some camera stores and get some opinions.

Here is a site that you can take a look at to see reviews of certain camera's. I did my research here 2 years ago and got a Canon S1. I have always owned a Canon and have a SLR with 2 sets of lenses one is a 300mm which I love but its a pain to carry around when your at a sporting event or any vacation having to change the lens. I went with the smaller digital version which still allows for me to do manual programing that doesnt come with most of the smaller Digi cams. The megapixel is only 3.2 but it has a 10X optical zoom which is an equivalent of a 300mm SLR lens. Im really happy with it. I will most likely start looking for another one. Check out the site you will learn a lot there.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html

http://steves-digicams.pgpartner.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=2301615

Your going to give up video quality if you try to get a still camera that also does video. It is sometimes a convenient feature to have but I wouldn't want that to be my go to for taking videos. Remember if you go sony you have to use the memory sticks only, which are a little more expensive than other methods of storage.

As jrock said slr's are the best for pics, but not just because of megapixels. Its their ability to get shots in circumstances that a lessor camera would not be able to handle due to exposure confusion by the camera, or slow autofocus, or slow zoom.

I also don't want you to think I'm downing non-slr cameras. They each have their place. Alot depends on what kind of pictures you want to take and the conditions you will be taking them in.

I don't bring my SLR into the stadium because I am jumping up and down and screaming alot and have ussually had a few drinks. I don't want to damage or lose it. This year I will probably get a very small 5MP camera to take inside with me.

Just make sure you get the camera that will best fit most of your needs.

You can get a 5.0 MP camera, and a DV camcorder for 600$.

You can go big and buy a nice 7 MP camera, and buy a bigger memory card so you can do little digital vids on it. But that will cost you about 500 and up.

I have a Sony Hi-8 digital camcorder for 300$

And a Vivica 5 MP camera for 175$, plus 100$ for the bigger memory cards.

You can find these at Walmart for that price.

You have a lot of options, and now is a great time to go shopping for both.

Vidcamcorders don't take very good pictures, and vice versa, dig cams don't take very good video. Atleast not without spending money on quality products, that are designed to do both.

Some DV camcorders can do both, but check the MP(mega pixel) to be sure. You don't want anything less than 3 or 4 MP.

5 and 7 MP are great, and you can knock the size down to a lower setting if you like. This way you can take more pictures.

Archived